Trash "thieves" struck last night

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Three: People are looking for personal info to steal identities and apply for credit cards/loans.

Bingo! You are so very right.

I shred envelopes even when they don't have my name or address on them.
I don't want to give anyone a clue to anything when a company's return name and address is on the envelope and it's in with the rest of my trash.

The bad guys aren't stupid anymore. They know how to put 2 and 2 together and the rest of the information they want is readily available on the Internet.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Three: People are looking for personal info to steal identities and apply for credit cards/loans.
Amen to that.

A few years ago I watched an interview of a woman that was a victim of ID theft. She was in her 40s. This woman’s life had been turned upside down for the past 15 years. Credit cards in her name, loans in her name and a mortgage in her name. The police did very little because it’s not high on their priority list. They would help her when “they have time.” After countless trips to court to stop the debt collectors calling her 24/7 the judge finally told this victim she had only one option, legally change her name. And that is what she did. People convicted of identity theft need to spend a few decades in jail.

I’ve been using a shredder for many years, I think I’m on my 3rd or 4th machine.

When in doubt: shred, shred, shred.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, whenever I hear about shredding day in TV I keep wondering what’s that about? Shredders are cheap and available from Staples.
We have a shredder, but I REALLY like those cross-cut shredders. May get one when our current one dies.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
I can think of at least two reasons garbage bags are taken. One, a hired private investigator is looking for information. Two, people need bottle recycling money.
Where can you sell bottles?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

I use the shredder as often as a garburator practically. First I had a small one, what a pain it was; paper got stuck, it overheated etc. Then I got a slightly larger one, it was a bit better could do envelopes and up to 10 papers without overheating. Finally, I got a commercial grade but cheap one. This one cross sheds does magazines that come in your mail, credit cards etc. I love it. As a teacher I used to shred drafts of report cards and my students’ information, now I can’t live without a shredder at home.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:08 AM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
We have a shredder, but I REALLY like those cross-cut shredders. May get one when our current one dies.

Most of them are not inexpensive, but the confetti shredders are the best.

They are "serious" shredders!!!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Where can you sell bottles?
Florida has only a proposed bottle bill but nothing active. However I picked up a case of water at one of the stores near the Villages last time I came down. It was the same brand as we get up north. I noticed the bottles had the bottle deposit label on them.

Just tossed the empties in a tall kitchen garbage bag and put the bag in the trunk of the car when I drove north, and got $1.20 for the deposit that I never paid. I traded the bottle slip in for a dozen eggs, for bottles that most people just toss in the trash.

For homeless people, and people on their last financial legs, those deposit bottles can mean a toothbrush, or a bar of soap, or a coveted pair of socks.

For me, it's a very appreciated bonus.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcuse View Post
I put my recyclables and one trash bag out last night around 9:30 pm and when I went out at 5:30 am to walk the dog the trash bag was gone. Oddly enough, none of my neighbors in my 3 street villa neighborhood had their trash bags taken. I hope the thief enjoyed rummaging through those doggie poop bags! Another reminder to shred.
With a strong dog smell it may have been a coyote that dragged the bag off.
Closed Thread

Tags
trash, bags, bag, night, neighborhood

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.