Travel Trailer, Trucks, and Garages

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Default Travel Trailer, Trucks, and Garages

Hi there,
We're seriously considering buying and moving to the villages early this summer. We like to travel still and have a Travel Trailer. I know I will have to store the trailer out of the villages in a storage facility. However, my tow vehicle is my concern along with a garage.

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 MegaCab. The literature says it is 6'9" high and 20'9" long.

1. Anyone have or know of someone who has a 2500 or 3500 (Dodge, Chevy, Ford) series truck that keeps it in their garage?
2. Does anyone think it would fit into their garage?
3. If my truck wont fit in a garage is it allowable to keep the truck parked in my driveway?

Any other ideas or comments
Thanks
Phil Bailey
Old 01-20-2015, 12:03 PM

The villages have storage lots that contain both vehicles and trailers and Large RV's.

I would not be concerned.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbear View Post
Hi there,
We're seriously considering buying and moving to the villages early this summer. We like to travel still and have a Travel Trailer. I know I will have to store the trailer out of the villages in a storage facility. However, my tow vehicle is my concern along with a garage.

I have a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 MegaCab. The literature says it is 6'9" high and 20'9" long.

1. Anyone have or know of someone who has a 2500 or 3500 (Dodge, Chevy, Ford) series truck that keeps it in their garage?
2. Does anyone think it would fit into their garage?
3. If my truck wont fit in a garage is it allowable to keep the truck parked in my driveway?

Any other ideas or comments
Thanks
Phil Bailey
I also travel and have a 2014 ford truck with a long bed. The trailer is kept outside the village in one of the many available places that you can pick from less then twenty minutes from the house.
As for the truck. it really depends on which house you purchase. I have a two car plus golf cart garage. My truck fits inside if I pull it in at an angle. Even with it inside I still can fit my two golf carts also. Yes, you can keep your truck on the driveway. Many do that, No problem.
so no matter which home you chose you have a place for your truck.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proscoe View Post
The villages have storage lots that contain both vehicles and trailers and Large RV's.

I would not be concerned.
Some neighbors might be.................
Old 01-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Veteran member

You will have to be careful selecting your home for the proper garage for the truck. A lot of block homes were built with arched garage entrances (example; mine is 6'4" low to 6'10' at center). Frame constructed homes seem to have square door openings. Depth seems to vary but very few seem to go past 20' after considering overhead door inside tracks and bracing and other potential obstructions such as water heater, utility sink, etc locations.
There should be no problem about keeping the truck on the driveway as long as it is not a "commercial" vehicle (lettering, tool racks) But, it will take a beating from the summer sun (at least 8 months a year) and having a vehicle generally parked "static" is a pain to dodge around every day when using your daily drivers.
Unless you buy a garage with a house attached you will probably have to store the truck too. Or, maybe select a premier series which more recently have been built with larger garages and door openings.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Location: Mohnton PA, Raystown Lake PA, and NOW the village of Charlotte

we have an extended garage with 2014 Ram 2500 w/ crew cab short bed and it JUST fits We have a 2 car garage with golf cart garage and truck, cart and car all fit nice It seems the newer the house the garages are a bit deeper.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:40 PM
Gold member

You will definitely need a home with an extended garage. Or if you have the money get a Premier home and design your own garage. One other thing there is a new storage garage facility on 44 across the street from Brownwood. They are renting insulated units that are about 1250 SF with a bath for about $750 a month. There is not a lot of units so you better grab one if you want one. May be you could go in on it with someone. I wish I had more garage space for toys!!! PM me if you want the storage info.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Yes, you can keep your truck on the driveway. Many do that, No problem.
so no matter which home you chose you have a place for your truck.
Be careful. There is a deed restriction in some, if not all, areas that prohibits trucks over 1/2 ton parked in your driveway. We had a neighbor who had to either get rid of their truck or move it off site as it was parked in their driveway. Please check your deed restrictions before deciding what to do. If someone doesn't turn you in, you can be OK. But anyone passing by can complain to the Standards people and you will have to put it somewhere else.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Sage

We have a 30' TT and a Ram 3500 Mega Cab TD.

TT stays in a local storage lot
TV stays in the driveway. It has a camper shell with roof top racks and is too high to get thru the garage door. The garage is barely long enuf to fit the TV without the shell but it would be a tight squeeze.

Doing local RV rallies to Tavares, Ft Myers and Sarasota this spring.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.