Is this tree too close to house? What should I do?

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Default Is this tree too close to house? What should I do?

I have a holly tree (picture enclosed) that is right behind our back bedroom in the corner of the lanai. I am concerned about the roots getting under the foundation.

Can anyone recommend someone to take a look at it and give me some advice?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	tree 2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	74950  
Old 04-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Default The decision is yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
I have a holly tree (picture enclosed) that is right behind our back bedroom in the corner of the lanai. I am concerned about the roots getting under the foundation.

Thank you.
Can't see from your picture to offer any valuable advice.
If, you are concerned about roots from the tree going under your home, It would be easy enough for you to dig down and see what is happening.
Like many things if the trunk is beyond, I think it is 6 inches you need a permit to remove it.
A tree can be moved. It will be costly.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Can't see from your picture to offer any valuable advice.
If, you are concerned about roots from the tree going under your home, It would be easy enough for you to dig down and see what is happening.
Like many things if the trunk is beyond, I think it is 6 inches you need a permit to remove it.
A tree can be moved. It will be costly.
I think only Live Oak are protected from being removed once they reach a certain circumference, but I think it isn't a Villages directive, since I remember the St.Johns River Authority got involved with trees cut down near homes in Lake Miona a couple of years back. I don't know.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-30-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post

Thank you.
Nelson Treehouse ??

If that doesn't work for you, try calling:

Bryan Stanage
352-636-3527

Stanage Tree Service | Residential and Commercial Arborist

Besides being a certified and expert arborist, he is very knowledgeable regarding TV's rules (he is actually one of the few companies allowed to do The Villages contract tree work)...and has fair prices.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think only Live Oak are protected from being removed once they reach a certain circumference.
From AR Review Manual

2.16 Tree Removal Home No tree with a trunk four (4) inches or more in diameter shall be removed or effectively removed through excessive injury without first obtaining permission from the ARC. For canopy trees, the arborist will examine the tree and submit a report to the ARC. The ARC will review the documentation and their decision will be determined on a case by case basis.

Generally a tree that matures at over 30 feet and is not a palm or conifer is considered a canopy tree. Per the arborist, below is a list of the most commonly used canopy trees:  Live Oak, Shuamrd Oak  Laurel Oak (not recommended by the arborist – short lived and inclined to get infested with mistletoe)  Southern Magnolia, Little Gem Magnolia (recommended for confined areas)  Drake Elm or Chinese Elm  Allee Elm  Winged Elm  Red Maple (used in The Villages but does not do well in some areas due to poor soil or dryer conditions)
Old 04-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
From AR Review Manual

2.16 Tree Removal Home No tree with a trunk four (4) inches or more in diameter shall be removed or effectively removed through excessive injury without first obtaining permission from the ARC. For canopy trees, the arborist will examine the tree and submit a report to the ARC. The ARC will review the documentation and their decision will be determined on a case by case basis.

Generally a tree that matures at over 30 feet and is not a palm or conifer is considered a canopy tree. Per the arborist, below is a list of the most commonly used canopy trees:  Live Oak, Shuamrd Oak  Laurel Oak (not recommended by the arborist – short lived and inclined to get infested with mistletoe)  Southern Magnolia, Little Gem Magnolia (recommended for confined areas)  Drake Elm or Chinese Elm  Allee Elm  Winged Elm  Red Maple (used in The Villages but does not do well in some areas due to poor soil or dryer conditions)
Thank you Bogie. We can always depend on you for good information.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You might try the web sites for some local colleges and email the department that deals with plants.
Look at this and similar sites Invasive Tree Root Information – Learn About Trees With Invasive Roots
Holly Is A Good Choice To Plant Near House - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel
Old 04-30-2018, 07:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, if you know the type of tree, you can contact the master gardener, at Florida Master Gardener Program - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences and ask them if the root typically cause foundation damage. A building inspector (Frank DeAngelo he is great) should be able to check out you house and foundation for any cracks. Finally, a call to home warranty, you may get transferred, should get you to the correct department for someone to come out and inspect the tree. This will get you specific answers you need, can you cut the tree down, and is it causing or can it cause foundation damage.
Hope this helps.

Tags
tree, recommend, foundation, roots, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.