Tremors?

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2018, 06:23 AM
Default Tremors?

Not trying to start a panic on this one! Just curious;
Sunday morning at about 3:45, my husband and I were woken up by our bedroom door rattling. It has done that a couple of times before during the daytime, but this is the first time it's woken us up. We didn't feel anything, nothing was disturbed, and it's been very quiet every time it happened. Didn't even hear a large truck going by. We live about two miles south of LSL, nowhere near construction. Earthquakes in Florida are VERY RARE, but mild ones do happen occasionally. Most people never feel them. Has anyone else noticed something odd like a door or window rattling for no reason?
Old 08-14-2018, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

That is very frightening to read. Sometimes when I am sleeping I can sense or feel thunder even without my hearing aids.

I hope there is something explainable. There are explosions in the Military test area in the Ocala Forest that can be felt here but I have not heard them mentioned at night.

You are someone I know to be very reasonable. I feel so bad reading this. I would be scared too.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-14-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Maybe a truck driving by? Or maybe your neighbors were doing the wild thing?
Old 08-14-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That is very frightening to read. Sometimes when I am sleeping I can sense or feel thunder even without my hearing aids.

I hope there is something explainable. There are explosions in the Military test area in the Ocala Forest that can be felt here but I have not heard them mentioned at night.

You are someone I know to be very reasonable. I feel so bad reading this. I would be scared too.
Not scared, just would like to know what it was. I have reported it to the US Geological Society, to find out if perhaps it was a tremor. Haven't heard anything, if they contact me, I'll let you know!
Old 08-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,616 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Not scared, just would like to know what it was. I have reported it to the US Geological Society, to find out if perhaps it was a tremor. Haven't heard anything, if they contact me, I'll let you know!
It's a Government agency. They may get back to you after they come back from their vacation, sick leave, coffee break, and diversity training session.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Sage

NOT sure which neighborhood you live in but we too live south-ish of LSL and didn't experience any tremors.
This post reminds me of 2 or 3 or so years ago when we were awakened by a really strange loud noise outside. Our daughter was visiting and we all went out to see what was going on. Never caught site of anything but it sounded somewhat like a HUGE street cleaner---it was sort of like that kind of noise. Never found out what it was neither. The time frame would have been around 2 a.m. or so.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:59 PM

NASA launched the Parker Solar Probe to the sun on Sunday morning at 3:31am. Not sure of the flight path, but it may have gone over the area on it's way out to space. My folks lived in Deltona for a few years and launches would rattle the whole house.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesnotwest View Post
NASA launched the Parker Solar Probe to the sun on Sunday morning at 3:31am. Not sure of the flight path, but it may have gone over the area on it's way out to space. My folks lived in Deltona for a few years and launches would rattle the whole house.
A sonic boom? Hmmmmm.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM

I think a big truck also. No way EQ since then we would have sinkholes, and we don't have them.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Have your air conditioning system checked, could have been the compressor outside.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 08-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Not trying to start a panic on this one! Just curious;
Sunday morning at about 3:45, my husband and I were woken up by our bedroom door rattling. It has done that a couple of times before during the daytime, but this is the first time it's woken us up. We didn't feel anything, nothing was disturbed, and it's been very quiet every time it happened. Didn't even hear a large truck going by. We live about two miles south of LSL, nowhere near construction. Earthquakes in Florida are VERY RARE, but mild ones do happen occasionally. Most people never feel them. Has anyone else noticed something odd like a door or window rattling for no reason?
You probably have an air conditioning RETURN DUCT in your B/R. The return duct is the one without the adjustment lever. I have noticed the door in our M/BR would "suck closed" when we "almost" closed it and sometimes when the A/C kicks on or there is a strong wind outside the door rattles if it is closed. The homes are tightly sealed around here so the return air pressure can close (or rattle) your door. Sometimes the air gets pulled through the house from a small air leak under a door or through the garage just from wind.

You can be pretty sure if it were a tremor it would be reported on the news, even if it was a tiny one. We had a number of very tiny ones in NJ within 3 miles of our home over the years only 1 of which we felt and every one was reported on the news as if it were the east coast version of the San Francisco quake. It also could be poltergeists but I'd bet on air pressure from outside coming in and up through the return duct in the B/R shaking the door.

(My explanation may be scientifically off - but the theory is right - air pressure can cause the rattle)

edit: we're a little over 2mi S. of LSL in Amelia
Old 08-15-2018, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
All launches from the Cape go east out over the Atlantic. No sonic boom nor other vibrations will happen here from a launch at the cape.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

A precursor to a giant sinkhole...that will soon drain Lake Sumter.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
I thought of this too but didn't check on what time it went. Sound during the night-time hours does travel more, I think. Sonic booms could cause a "rattle" of windows etc., I should think.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
You probably have an air conditioning RETURN DUCT in your B/R. The return duct is the one without the adjustment lever. I have noticed the door in our M/BR would "suck closed" when we "almost" closed it and sometimes when the A/C kicks on or there is a strong wind outside the door rattles if it is closed. The homes are tightly sealed around here so the return air pressure can close (or rattle) your door. Sometimes the air gets pulled through the house from a small air leak under a door or through the garage just from wind.

You can be pretty sure if it were a tremor it would be reported on the news, even if it was a tiny one. We had a number of very tiny ones in NJ within 3 miles of our home over the years only 1 of which we felt and every one was reported on the news as if it were the east coast version of the San Francisco quake. It also could be poltergeists but I'd bet on air pressure from outside coming in and up through the return duct in the B/R shaking the door.

(My explanation may be scientifically off - but the theory is right - air pressure can cause the rattle)

edit: we're a little over 2mi S. of LSL in Amelia
Then I read this....and thinking that we too have experienced this before but not where it frightened us (me). This sounds very plausible as (the air-conditioner part...NOT the poltergeist part) being the factor.
Closed Thread

Tags
rattling, door, woken, feel, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.