Tremors?

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2018, 06:16 PM

I thought of a space takeoff, sounds like a good theory. The shuttles rattled my windows in Orlando often. The air return idea sounds possible, our HVAC system is new, maybe it's stronger.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:06 PM

That coincides with the space launch . WE watched it lift off and about 5 minutes after liftoff, the sound wave hit our area.
launch
Old 08-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
I thought of a space takeoff, sounds like a good theory. The shuttles rattled my windows in Orlando often. The air return idea sounds possible, our HVAC system is new, maybe it's stronger.

Our system is 10 years old, age really doesn't matter, it's the fan that blows the air out the vent then it gets sucked back into the air return.. It isn't necessarily the A/C it could just be an air leak from a wind gust. I can easily duplicate it over and over. Make sure all outside windows and doors are shut and close your B/R door just so it touches the door frame then open/close your front door quickly (or even open your outside garage door and then open/close the door from garage into house quickly). You are creating a pressure differential (draft) that can easily move a door. The air comes in the house then gets sucked through the air returns. Our MB/R air return is directly above the BR door.

You said your MB/R DOOR rattled, somehow I doubt a Canaveral launch ~60 miles away will rattle your inside door from outside sound waves. Maybe your windows .... but an inside door doesn't seem logical.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:42 PM
Default AC Return Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
You probably have an air conditioning RETURN DUCT in your B/R. The return duct is the one without the adjustment lever. I have noticed the door in our M/BR would "suck closed" when we "almost" closed it and sometimes when the A/C kicks on or there is a strong wind outside the door rattles if it is closed. The homes are tightly sealed around here so the return air pressure can close (or rattle) your door. Sometimes the air gets pulled through the house from a small air leak under a door or through the garage just from wind.

You can be pretty sure if it were a tremor it would be reported on the news, even if it was a tiny one. We had a number of very tiny ones in NJ within 3 miles of our home over the years only 1 of which we felt and every one was reported on the news as if it were the east coast version of the San Francisco quake. It also could be poltergeists but I'd bet on air pressure from outside coming in and up through the return duct in the B/R shaking the door.

(My explanation may be scientifically off - but the theory is right - air pressure can cause the rattle)

edit: we're a little over 2mi S. of LSL in Amelia
Each bedroom has a return air diffuser or a return air transfer grill to the hallway. Without one of those and with your door shut that room would not get any supply AC unless the window was open
Closed Thread

Tags
rattling, door, woken, feel, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.