GOING TO THE BEACH

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2007, 05:24 PM
Default GOING TO THE BEACH

My wife and I were talking about taking day trips to the beach, and we wanted to know which was the closest. I told her it would probably be going to the Gulf, but where is a beach that is public acess on the Gulf. I have driven from TV to Daytona and found that trip to be about 90 minutes. The Gulf of Mexico has to be closer, but where? Thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Default Re: GOING TO THE BEACH

The nearest beach to The Villages has to be the one at Crystal River. It is a small cove with sand and a small nature reserve plus a place to launch your boat. The beach is no more than 200 yards wide and about 50 yards deep. Swimming would be very limited as are the facilities. Car parking is probably for 60 vehicles. We have taken several visitors there who wish to see the sea and they have described it as rather cute. It's never been too busy when we have been there but we have never been there at the weekend. It is about 6 miles out of downtown Crystal River I think the road number is the 42 but since I am in the UK at present I am unable to check my maps. It's takes about 1 hour from The Villages as is due west. There are also picnic tables there with shades. Once when we were driving from Crystal River to the actual beach a large Florida Wild Cat ran across the road in front of us. He/She was about 3 foot long.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Gold member

We went to Fred Howard Park and beach in Tarpon Springs and thought it was very nice.Try this web site

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/06_Howard.htm

We went to a beach on the gulf that was straight West of The Villages and didn't care for it. Fred Howard Park and beach is very nice and the beach is out a causeway to an island and we really liked it. Be sure and get good directions as it is not easy to find but worth the drive.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Platinum member

Having lived in Tampa, we found 2 beautiful beaches. One is Ft DeSoto.
http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

Another Great Beach is on Caledasi Island. This also is a wonderful beach. You take a boat out to the Island. The children love this.
http://www.krolltravel.com/stories/FLA_Caladesi.html
Tampa, FL
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Sage

Avista, I've heard about Fort Desota .. I heard they had a dog beach there. How far is it from TV?
Thanks for the info.

PJ & Rick
Old 08-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Platinum member

Yes, they do have a dog beach. (Not with the people beach.)
My guess is that it would be about 2 hours, (haven't been there since we've moved here) but just stay on 75. It is the last turnoff before you get to the Sunshine Skyway.
Tampa, FL
Old 08-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary S

We just went to Ft. Desota last weekend and it was great. Not near as many people as we have seen before. Not sure why, but the beach was wonderful and Ft. Desota park is very big.
Just a minor correction on the directions above. Yes you do go South on I-75, but just as you get near Tampa take the I-275 branch to the right. I-75 keeps heading South towards Sarasota and I-275 goes through Tampa. You still take the last exit before the Sunshine Skyway after you get through downtown Tampa and head West. Lots of signs to the park.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Platinum member

Gary, I'm sure you're right on directions.
Tampa, FL
Old 08-22-2007, 09:11 AM

Gary Sounds like the place for us how long did it take you to get there from TV? Thanks to you too Avista & Indyguy. We just think this would make for a nice day trip.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:22 AM

Another beautiful beach (the nicest one I have seen) is Siesta Key on the Gulf Coast. It's about 15-20 miles south of Sarasota, approx. 1-1/2 hours from here.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Sage

ttt
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 09-15-2007, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Ft. DeSoto is a great beach, also consider the state park on Sand Key, just across from clearwater beach.
It's free, shade/picnic tables, etc., great for walking or swimming, and very pretty. It was named as one of the top 10 beaches in recent times.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.