Trespassing

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Sage
Default Trespassing

What makes people think they can trespass on your private property? For the last two days, I have found people in my yard. At dusk, a couple came from the back of my house through my side yard, between my neighbors and here. I went out and asked if I could help them. They were total strangers..not from my village. This is a cul de sac. They came in from Palmer and heavens knows where they came from. This is a very private cul de sac and these people had no qualms about trespassing on Palmer or my yard. What makes them think they can do this? Were they looking in my windows? Then they said they wanted to see the house and " how much was it?". I asked if they were looking for a larger home and they said no..they were downsizing. I was so taken aback. They then proceeded to cut back through my yard down to the golf cart path. My neighbor was outside and caught up with them to inform them they were trespassing. I know looking at homes is sport down here, and people enter empty homes in the new sections. This section is twelve years old. Why on earth would total strangers feel they have the right to come on your property in your back and side yard? Is this common? Do they not understand that private property is private property? I am really upset about this. There seems to be little or no respect for individual space. I bought a larger lot for the privacy.I may put out "No Trespassing" signs. Is it gypsy time yet in TV?
Old 09-16-2017, 01:00 PM
Sage
Default Trespassing

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass View Post
What makes people think they can trespass on your private property? For the last two days, I have found people in my yard. At dusk, a couple came from the back of my house through my side yard, between my neighbors and here. I went out and asked if I could help them. They were total strangers..not from my village. This is a cul de sac. They came in from Palmer and heavens knows where they came from. This is a very private cul de sac and these people had no qualms about trespassing on Palmer or my yard. What makes them think they can do this? Were they looking in my windows? Then they said they wanted to see the house and " how much was it?". I asked if they were looking for a larger home and they said no..they were downsizing. I was so taken aback. They then proceeded to cut back through my yard down to the golf cart path. My neighbor was outside and caught up with them to inform them they were trespassing. I know looking at homes is sport down here, and people enter empty homes in the new sections. This section is twelve years old. Why on earth would total strangers feel they have the right to come on your property in your back and side yard? Is this common? Do they not understand that private property is private property? I am really upset about this. There seems to be little or no respect for individual space. I bought a larger lot for the privacy.I may put out "No Trespassing" signs. Is it gypsy time yet in TV?

Their probably not gypsy's. They simply weren't raised properly and lack common sense. I'm sure they violate other social mores as well. Still, it tends to infuriate me.
BTW, keep those No Trespassing signs under your eaves [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

They may have been curious from the wide spread mailing showing your beautiful home for sale but that doesn't forgive what they did. I wouldn't put up no trespassing signs since your house is for sale. This is probably an isolated instance.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Sage

..except it happened two days in a row. Many people are coming down the street to look, and I appreciate that. When they are in by back yard unannounced, it makes me nervous. I would not think of cutting through a strange yard unless it was an emergency.
Yes, Mary sent the postcards to the Bridgeports. I think she did a great job. Now I am hoping it sells so I can return home to family.
I find I stay in the house most of the time. During Hu's illness I stayed home most of tthree years and when they put him in home hospice back in
Sept 2016,, I was here almost 24/7. I guess it has become a habit, and I have become a hermit. I am hoping that being home will get me out and about again. At least it will put me in the arms of my loved ones.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Platinum member

I'm sure this is unnerving for you. I agree that I wouldn't put out signs but I would turn on all outside lights and have the Sheriff's office on speed dial. People should know better. Sorry you are dealing with this.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Sage

I have dogs. No one comes near without me knowing.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:48 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Man with a gun.

If I encountered people like that I would just say,

"You know you are trespassing. The problem is not so much me as it is the man next door. I've heard that he points a gun at trespassers that walk between our houses. In fact, I seldom walk on this side of my house myself."

Old 09-16-2017, 06:13 PM

Looters ???
Old 09-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Sage

We once had our house (up north) for sale. We were in the living room and this woman and her kids came up and hands to block the glare were looking in. I was really angry!! I went out and asked her what I could do for her and without stammering or hesitating she said "I just wanted to see your house!" I DID NOT invite her in. It was many years ago...but some folks are just brassy.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

As you said, looking at houses for sale is a sport here. That includes walking all around the house to check out landscaping, etc. Yes, it is trespassing and, yes, it is intrusive and disconcerting. For some, it is a way to check out a house to see if it fits their needs before doing a formal walk-through. For others, it is pure, unadulterated nosiness. Sadly, I'm afraid you're going to have to tolerate it to some extent because you never know who might be a serious buyer or just a nosy Parker.

Hope it sells soon.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-16-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran member

Welcome to the villages of entitled idiots. I Also have no patients for this also!!!
Living on a golf course breeds these type of idiots and they think they have a right to be on private property!!!!!

Last edited by Chellybean; 09-16-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:49 PM
Gold member

If your home is for sale you might just tell them to contact your realtor and make an appointment if they want to see the house.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
If your home is for sale you might just tell them to contact your realtor and make an appointment if they want to see the house.
I would have..but they said they were downsizing.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Intrusive, insensitive, boorish behavior, that we should not expect to see in our peers, but there you have it.....all too often.

If there is a For Sale sign that is visible from the golf course trail, you might want to think about taking it down.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Intrusive, insensitive, boorish behavior, that we should not expect to see in our peers, but there you have it.....all too often.

If there is a For Sale sign that is visible from the golf course trail, you might want to think about taking it down.
Sign can only be in a window, never on a lawn

Tags
yard, property, trespassing, people, private

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.