Trespassing

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
If I encountered people like that I would just say,
"You know you are trespassing. The problem is not so much me as it is the man next door. I've heard that he points a gun at trespassers that walk between our houses. In fact, I seldom walk on this side of my house myself.
Good suggestion!
Old 09-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Sign can only be in a window, never on a lawn

I know that. I know the territory well. I thought maybe there might be a sign in a cage or in a window that could be seen from the course trail and could give clods who have no respect for privacy an excuse to snoop.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:19 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default I think they are now invitees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass View Post
..except it happened two days in a row. Many people are coming down the street to look, and I appreciate that. When they are in by back yard unannounced, it makes me nervous. I would not think of cutting through a strange yard unless it was an emergency.
Yes, Mary sent the postcards to the Bridgeports. I think she did a great job. Now I am hoping it sells so I can return home to family.
I find I stay in the house most of the time. During Hu's illness I stayed home most of tthree years and when they put him in home hospice back in
Sept 2016,, I was here almost 24/7. I guess it has become a habit, and I have become a hermit. I am hoping that being home will get me out and about again. At least it will put me in the arms of my loved ones.
samhass:

I am not an attorney but it would seem to me if you have advertised your home for sale those visiting your premise for the purpose of potential buying are now invitees.

If I am correct you have a choice 1) place a no trespassing sign on your property 2) and /or a sign that states potential buyers must be accompanied with a realtor, both of which I believe frustrate your intent to sale.

Again I am not an attorney so to you may want to speak with your realtor and your realtor to an attorney

Best of luck with your sale.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 09-17-2017, 05:47 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Add "by appointment only" to all your ads. Might help.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
Welcome to the villages of entitled idiots. I Also have no patients for this also!!!
Living on a golf course breeds these type of idiots and they think they have a right to be on private property!!!!!
So true! We live on a golf course which flooded and I could not believe the number of people who just walked through our property to "view" the flooding. We are a very quiet area and it is very concerning to suddenly see someone on your property.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-17-2017, 07:53 AM
Gold member

If you don't know who they are get a description and call the police...it is one of the many things that they happily do for us. Quite dangerous to approach strangers at night wandering on private property.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:50 AM
Gold member
Default Re: Rude people

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass View Post
I would have..but they said they were downsizing.
Your OP did not say your home was listed for sale.

Rude people will not change IF you sell your home to them.
You will find that they will be a pain to you in every aspect of the sale and to your NEIGHBORS after you leave.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Unfortunately a For Sale sign on a nice home will attract the curious, most of whom could not afford the home; they are just nosy!

A couple of years ago I installed several cameras which monitor my driveway, walkway and entryway as well as my yard. I can watch the action on my mobile phone, on my television at home or on a computer anywhere. Two weeks of time are taped, 24 hours a day. Since I am away almost half the time I feel more at peace. I know the OP is moving away but for a few thousand dollars she could get cameras installed along with some warning that trespassers will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. As a bonus she may discover cameras are indeed a selling feature!

I realize the covenants prohibit signs in yards and permit only a for sale sign of restricted size in a window but what I see elsewhere are "Do not Contact the Occupant" and "By Appointment Only" notices on for sale signs.

Confrontation can be dangerous but taking their pictures with your cell phone may drive them off.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Gold member
Default Do not assume they cannot afford

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Unfortunately a For Sale sign on a nice home will attract the curious, most of whom could not afford the home; they are just nosy!

A couple of years ago I installed several cameras which monitor my driveway, walkway and entryway as well as my yard. I can watch the action on my mobile phone, on my television at home or on a computer anywhere. Two weeks of time are taped, 24 hours a day. Since I am away almost half the time I feel more at peace. I know the OP is moving away but for a few thousand dollars she could get cameras installed along with some warning that trespassers will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. As a bonus she may discover cameras are indeed a selling feature!

I realize the covenants prohibit signs in yards and permit only a for sale sign of restricted size in a window but what I see elsewhere are "Do not Contact the Occupant" and "By Appointment Only" notices on for sale signs.

Confrontation can be dangerous but taking their pictures with your cell phone may drive them off.
I sold photographic equipment on a wholesale basis. I will never forget at a trade show everyone ignored a guy that they all assumed could not afford what they were selling.
I spoke to everyone with respect. He proved to be knowledgeable. He was doing street photos so was properly dressed for his profession. The guy bought from me $2,000 worth of equipment AND PAID CASH.

RE: cameras on your home being a selling point
Different strokes for different folks. Were I looking to buy a place and saw cameras on the home, I WOULD THINK THE OWNER DID NOT FEEL SAFE HERE.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Were I looking to buy a place and saw cameras on the home, I WOULD THINK THE OWNER DID NOT FEEL SAFE HERE.
In my neighborhood in Newport Beach, CA nearly every home has security cameras and of course alarm systems. They are a deterrent to burglary. And, I feel very safe here - even safer with the cameras.

My gardner did some plantings for me yesterday. I was out of state but flew back later that day, arriving home after he had left. He did a nice job. Now I will see how many hours he will tell me he worked and how much help he used since I agreed to pay him by the hour. The cameras will confirm his story or not if what he tells me is over the top. Of course he knows I have the cameras and he has worked for me 28 years. Nevertheless, as a business person I believe in keeping honest people honest.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-17-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

I was taught by my grandpa to never go on private property unless invited. Even to today I will not cross property lines unless invited. IMO the ONLY path to private property in sidewalk to the front door.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:48 AM
Default Trespassers..I have many

I am a single woman living on a golf course. Apparently there are many golfers who cannot tell the difference between a fairway and private property. I have often had as many as twenty "golfers" (trespassers ) in my yard on a given day. I have watched them beat thru my bushes with a club looking for a ball, I have found them in my front yard as I have driven up the drive.
I have stepped out of the shower at dusk to see a shadow go past the window.
I have had them within two feet of my window as I am eating.
One tried to steal a garden ornament but dropped it when yelled at by a neighbor. The golfer made a speedy exit without stopping to play golf- probably the fastest round ever played on this course.
My dog has learned the boundary of the course and our yard and seldom barks unless yard entry has been made. When my husband was dying, interruptions in his sleep were a big deal. The dog was only doing what he was taught...to warn us of intruders. Since golfers can play the course after official hours, it is sometimes almost dark when I see these unknown unregistered ( starter shack closed) people in my yards and walking next to my windows.
Yes, it is private property, I pay the taxes and do the upkeep. I do not appreciate golfers telling me that they have the "right" to be there because I live on a course.
I don't mind if they retrieve their ball when it is just inside my property and in plain view although I never understand people that can afford a cart and a set of clubs but can't afford to lose a ball. That ball is so valuable to them that not only do they invade my privacy, usually one or two more, accompany them to "help".

I fully expect everyone in this forum to jump all over me. Yes, I live on a course but if I lived on a curve in a street, I would not appreciate cars missing the curve and coming into my yard. If I lived by an airport runway, I would expect the jets not to accidentally take off my roof. However, your violation of my privacy and property rights is not an accident, it is done willfully.

I don't think many on this forum would appreciate strangers in their yards,especially as night falls.. Oh, please don't hit off my grass... the golf course landscaping crew has never visited my house to repair your divots.
I do enjoy watching the golfers (when they are on the course) and will have friendly conversations with them. I have offered shelter to golfers caught by a lightening storm without a cart.
Golf is supposed to be a "gentlemen's game" - please follow The Villages golf rules and have fun but stay on the course.
Since this is a thread about a woman alone startled by strangers in her yard, I feel I have stayed on topic.
My neighbors generally feel the same way I do.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:49 AM

There is a man who lives on a cul-de-sac that backs up to our lot. He is here full-time, we are part time. Everyday, he chooses to walk his dogs through the entire depth of my yard to get to wherever he walks his dogs -and back again. My dogs, who have been trained to bark when anyone steps in our yard, go berserk! I have yelled through open windows to my dogs, "yes, I know they are in your yard. Good doggies!" One day I caught him removing some small branches stacked on the back of our lot that my husband was going to cut up for our fire pit. I went to the window and told him could have some if he needed them, but that we wanted the rest to burn. He told me was just removing them because they were an eyesore. We, of course, removed them as soon as we could. None of his windows face my back yard. He only sees it if he walks around the back of his house, or through our yard! Next trip down, I'm putting a no trespassing sign on the back corner of my lot. Some people!

Old 09-17-2017, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Our neighbor in Ohio allowed his dog to potty in our yard when we were gone snowbirding. No. We didn't say a thing. We were gone and you never know what will make people mad and what other things might happen.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Our neighbor in Ohio allowed his dog to potty in our yard when we were gone snowbirding. No. We didn't say a thing. We were gone and you never know what will make people mad and what other things might happen.
Gracie dear, perhaps I'm a bit uncouth, but if I knew it belonged to the neighbor, I would have returned it to the neighbor. I was taught not to keep what is not mine. What nerve some people have!

Closed Thread

Tags
yard, property, trespassing, people, private

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.