cottages Like them or not?

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default cottages Like them or not?

Here's another question. I hear a lot about villas and designer homes but not so much about cottage homes. I am not talking about the expensive ones at LSL but the smaller cottage homes.

What do you think of the cottage homes? I can see that they have 2 car garages and no kissing lanai's. Do you like them? Does someone live in one? Do you like it? What do you like about it? Are your neighbors friendly? Do you like the finishes offered in a cottage? Are you able to choose finishes? I noticed they opened the kitchen in the one called "at Ease". Does anyone have this design or know anything about it?

We are keeping all our options open and love hearing your wise imput.
Thanks

Last edited by ssmith; 02-24-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: more thots
Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

cottages, ranch homes, villas, designers, premiers... there are a lot of names but the bottom line is you have to decide what works best for you, we saw value in all of them....gn
Old 02-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
Here's another question. I hear a lot about villas and designer homes but not so much about cottage homes. I am not talking about the expensive ones at LSL but the smaller cottage homes.

What do you think of the cottage homes? I can see that they have 2 car garages and no kissing lanai's. Do you like them? Does someone live in one? Do you like it? What do you like about it? Are your neighbors friendly? Do you like the finishes offered in a cottage? Are you able to choose finishes? I noticed they opened the kitchen in the one called "at Ease". Does anyone have this design or know anything about it?

We are keeping all our options open and love hearing your wise imput.
Thanks
We have an "At Ease" and absolutely love it!!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Default Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
What do you think of the cottage homes? I can see that they have 2 car garages and no kissing lanai's. Do you like them? Does someone live in one? Do you like it? What do you like about it? Are your neighbors friendly?
We have a Tuckett Inn...and love it!

The #1 selling point was that the lanai is right off the kitchen (no spilling coffee on my way through the carpeted rooms The kitchen is HUGE with lots of cupboards and counter space. The lanai faces the neighbors solid wall, so we have lots of privacy.

The #2 selling point was that the bedrooms and bathrooms are in the back of the house...another privacy plus!

Geeze...can you tell I love my privacy??

Our neighbors are great...the neighborhood is beautiful...I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Eternal Member

The cottages used to be called ranch homes and are one of the biggest sellers because of their afford ability and size. I think the Villages wanted to push the designers so they changed the name to cottages to imply that they were small.

Several of the designer model floor plans are exactly the same as the some of the cottages. Make sure that you look at the cottages before you spend the big bucks.

The only disadvantage to some is that they are all frame construction.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
The cottages used to be called ranch homes and are one of the biggest sellers because of their afford ability and size. I think the Villages wanted to push the designers so they changed the name to cottages to imply that they were small.

Several of the designer model floor plans are exactly the same as the some of the cottages. Make sure that you look at the cottages before you spend the big bucks.

The only disadvantage to some is that they are all frame construction.
Thanks Z, I was just about to post a question asking what a cottage home is. I apparently have one.

Like it very much.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Sage

Z ... they may also have changed the name to "cottage" homes because it sounds more Florida/retirement than "ranch". Perhaps a marketing sales move.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Veteran member

About the same time as the name change some of the features that were included in the ranch were not included in the cottages, garage door opener, ceiling fans, washer and dryer, blinds, and possible a few other things. I believe they may have begun to add some of those items back and of course you can have them added when you build.

Another thing about the cottages is that you are limited to the options that you have in the home. In the designer you have a number of choices in the kitchen while in the cottage you are limited to a few.

One thing I am not sure of is if building a new cottage if you can have the walls and garage kicked out a few feet (lot size permitting).
Old 02-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Sage

Used to ranches but they also added a few new cottage models that have the lanai on the side as mentioned. I know it's a sore subject but I'm sure that they get many questions as to why there are no cheaper models without 'kissing lanais'. For this same reason they are starting to do more and more offset building on interior lots of designer series.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwind View Post
About the same time as the name change some of the features that were included in the ranch were not included in the cottages, garage door opener, ceiling fans, washer and dryer, blinds, and possible a few other things.
Oh. Then maybe I don't have a cottage.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Oh. Then maybe I don't have a cottage.
Your home is a ranch built in 2001 or 2002 when ranches were still ranches.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Sage

Yes, it was. Thanks neighbor.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Default Cottages

Just wondering if anyone has done any improvements on their cottage and if so, what? We like a couple different cottages especially the At Ease. Because the cottages come without a lot of bells and whistles, there are so many things you can do to them to make it "your house".
Old 02-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaMom View Post
Just wondering if anyone has done any improvements on their cottage and if so, what? .
We expanded our lanai with a birdcage...and now we're thinking about wood floors. The carpet is nice but not very good quality...we've only been here for 6 months and it already is beginning to show some wear.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:33 AM
Default Cottages

Ceejay,

I'm sorry to hear your carpet has to be replaced already. Although, I think the hardwood is a great idea. It will look so nice. Because the prices are lower on the cottages, this must be one of the areas they cut costs. I hope the construction is the same as the designer homes. Will you have to replace anything else in the near future?

Bet you are loving the birdcage!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.