Snowflake not Snowbird

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Snowflake not Snowbird

First of all, let me say that I may not even be using the word "snowflake" correctly. I know that snowbirds are strictly seasonal, but somewhere I picked up the word "snowflake" to mean those who are not permanent residents but show up at different times throughout the year, at any time, sometimes for a short period of time, sometimes for longer, but not just seasonally.

Maybe the word means something totally different, but this is the method of operation that we would have to use.

We would have a second home in TV but not use it as a rental. It is a big decision.

Are any of you doing this or do you know anyone who does? If so, are they happy with how things work out if they want to be involved in things there? Any suggestions or advice appreciated as always.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Default Re: Snowflake not Snowbird

Know quite a few who have done the "snowflake" routine. Most are highly organized individuals. I haven't interviewed people about it lately but they are still living in two OR MORE homes or condos so I would imagine they like it. Majority of people are permanent Village residents, I believe. (Am I right?) We are considering it presently. I never wanted to own numerous homes but......................... seems to be the only way and I don't think we'll rent them out either............just show up here and there but esp. in the harsher months up North, we'll be South.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Sage

We be snowbirds because the U.S. Government will only allow those of us from the U.K. and Canada to stay in the USA 183 days out of 365 (even those of us who own houses here). :dontknow: So we must maintain residences in other countries.

We will not rent in the USA as that would put us into an "income earning" position and we would need to report earnings to the IRS. This could impact us financially in many ways, including double taxation.

I love TV so much! ;D I hate that I have to leave. But six months is better than nothing. So ... I must leave here in April and return to Canada.

Sad little Snowbird >

Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 PM

I am definitely a snowflake. My husband and I built our home in the spring of 97 at the ages of 41. We always come down for the month of Feb. , but we've been down in April, May, June, July, August, and the fall. I never liked the term snowbird but I do like being called a snowflake. See ya all very soon!

Paula
Old 01-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Platinum member

Hay Barefoot, I always assumed our Canadian friends stayed only six months because that was all they could take living with the Yanks. Then I thought, it might be due to a Canadian rule where you'd loose your health insurance coverage if you stayed longer. So thanks for dispelling all of my myths. I really didn't know that the US Govt imposed the six-month rule. When we were down last Feb, we met a very charming (and quite attractive) woman from the UK. I love to meet folks from different parts of the world. George
Old 01-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I never knew what to call myself :dontknow: since I was neither a permanent resident nor a snowbird. Being a snowflake The Villages Florida is a perfect fit! :hot:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.