Tropical Storm Dorian

Tropical Storm Dorian

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Tropical Storm Dorian
Old 08-27-2019, 03:39 PM

Default Tropical Storm Dorian

Hurricane Dorian

How are you preparing???

Based on current projected forecast released on 08/28/2019, Hurricane Dorian is on a current path that will "possibly" affect The Villages.

Hurricane Dorian "may" make landfall as early as this Sunday night "near" The Central Florida coastal area and Hurricane Dorian may intensify to a Category 3 Hurricane.

What precautions are you guys taking????

Last edited by jcvdd1; 08-28-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Platinum member

I guess with the exception of filling up the car with gas and bring the outside flower pots and furniture inside I am always ready.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage

What ever one needs...get it now before The Villages storm mania starts.

I never understand why the get ready for a storm is such a major event. Especially for most of us who have been around a few years.

We have and have had our storm cache and only have to top off gas long before the mania starts.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage

We went to the Hurricane Preparedness last year and as far as I know, have done everything I learned to do. Including Flood Insurance. It's Cheap!

We even bought a generator and I have to finish breaking it in, another two hours and then change the Earl (Oil).

Then we're ready for action. Just waiting for our Buddy, Tuccillo to enter and give us some of his wisdom, weather-wise!
Old 08-27-2019, 04:09 PM
Sage

Fill cars and have cash on hand
Old 08-27-2019, 04:24 PM

A cat 1? Nothing. We lived on a small island off of Fort Myers for 15 years. I don't get anxious unless it's a cat 3 or higher. Once, we had to evacuate. I am upset that it's heading this way, because we moved further north and to higher ground (we were 5 feet above sea level) to get away from them. We had hurricane shutters, but the only good they did, when there was a storm surge, was to keep out the fish. We picked TV because it never took a direct hit. They're following me ;-)
Old 08-27-2019, 05:04 PM
Veteran member

Got notification on my email about the storm from Village Insurance just now and what to do. Talk about being considerate! Each time another little surprise tells me how lucky I am to be part of TV.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:13 PM

Just wondering if the pre-hurricane hysteria is as prevalent here in The Villages as in some parts of the state where people who have never experienced bad weather will inundate the local markets right before the bad weather approaches and wipe-out the shelf's of everything?

Hopefully Dorian turns out to be nothing more than a bad storm. Now is the time to prepare your family, not hours before the storm strike.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

I bought two bottles of Basil Hayden instead of one. I'm prepared.

Henry Kissinger
Old 08-27-2019, 05:29 PM
Sage

Hysteria seems to happen mostly with newbies that haven't experienced it. Though with Irma it took "forever" and we kept hearing about it for, what seemed like weeks, so folks were quite hyped over it. We've lived here 10 yrs and Irma was the only one (which "they" said never happens this far in-land). We didn't have damage where we live, nor power outages or flooding. Some did but it seemed to be more in the historical side...plus golf courses (flooding).

As for prep...stock up with food that's not perishable, water, batteries, weather radio and your medications. Oh--and gas up your vehicle(s). BUT do NOT wait til the last minute!!! Stores will run out of the main items (batteries, water and such).

Experience is, the weather people have to stay on top of things due to ratings AND if they didn't people would complain and say "NO ONE told us!" if the improbable happens.
Closed Thread

Tags
tropical, dorian, storm, level, area