Satellite User Contemplating Cable

Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Platinum member
Default Satellite User Contemplating Cable

Although not here yet, when the time comes we're torn on whether to get cable or keep our DISH system. Satellite signals fade during heavy rains. Any comments/suggestions ?

Steve
Old 07-07-2007, 05:15 AM
Default Re: Satellite User Contemplating Cable

A year ago we contemplated the same problem. We had another issue High Definition. This was a year ago so maybe things have improved with Comcast but cable on a 42" plasma HD was terrible on the regular stations. We even had Comcast's tech come out thinking that maybe something was wrong with the cable. At that time he said that was the best we could do. With Dish it is about double the price, HD requires TWO dishes, the reception is excellent. Yes the satellite goes out during a storm but you know it is a storm anyway soooo?!?!?! Now last year we didn't have a hurricane so maybe I will have a problem with Dish going out during a hurricane.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:01 AM

I have been told that Direct tv is going to add @ 150 HD channels later this year. HD on cable is terrible.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:53 PM

I currently have DirecTv and I was worried about the loss of signal in a storm. I then had Comcast install Limited service cable for the cost of about $12.00 per month so now I have the best of both worlds. I get all of the HD programing and the wide selection of channels on DirecTv as well the villages Chanel on cable as well as the local channels so that in the event of a storm I can still have some TV access. Works fine and so far no problems

Fred
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Veteran member

Had Comcast when we first moved here. Discovered that we would get far more coverage by changing to Dish Net for the same money. With Comcast, I also had my internet service and constant problems. Now we have Dish/Embarq/Earthlink and I....knock on wood....have no problems.

Yes, heavy rain is a pain but what we usually do..if it lasts a while...is watch something we have on the DVR.

Good luck with your decision.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.