Is It true that dogs are going to be banned in the Villages????

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Default Re: Is It true that dogs are going to be banned in the Villages????

I'd like to see signs in the common areas at least warning dog owners that don't cleanup that a fine is forthcoming if they are caught and reported. Does the Village management have the regulations to do such a thing?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:43 PM

Life is way too short to worry about dog poop. Granted, I am a dog lover, and thank goodness most of my neighbors are too. When I take my dog for a walk (for his and my exercise) I never know when he has to "go," but when he does I pick it up and carry it home. I always have a bag with me. What's the big deal? I have yet to see anyone leave a pile anywhere in our neighborhood ... even at the walking trail near Lopez ... everyone picks up after their pets. Guess I believe there's more to life than worrying about dog poop. My pet peeve (no pun intended) is cigarette butts ... especially on the golf courses. At least the dog poop disintegrates in a day or two.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercat
Life is way too short to worry about dog poop. Granted, I am a dog lover, and thank goodness most of my neighbors are too. When I take my dog for a walk (for his and my exercise) I never know when he has to "go," but when he does I pick it up and carry it home. I always have a bag with me. What's the big deal? I have yet to see anyone leave a pile anywhere in our neighborhood ... even at the walking trail near Lopez ... everyone picks up after their pets. Guess I believe there's more to life than worrying about dog poop. My pet peeve (no pun intended) is cigarette butts ... especially on the golf courses. At least the dog poop disintegrates in a day or two.
How nice for you to not worry about dog poop. There are lots of people who let their dogs relieve themselves in and around the yards of other people and just leave it there. I'm not sure how you can turn a blind eye to that kind of inconsiderate person.
There is a group of people who gather along the Lopez recreation trail every evening and let their dogs run without their leash. The dogs run free, chase, bark at and nip walkers, runners and bikers. I have seen as many as 10 dogs running free. Is that okay too? What puts some people above the rules while others obey them?
Old 04-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercat
Life is way too short to worry about dog poop. Granted, I am a dog lover, and thank goodness most of my neighbors are too. When I take my dog for a walk (for his and my exercise) I never know when he has to "go," but when he does I pick it up and carry it home. I always have a bag with me. What's the big deal?
The more I have thought about your reply, the more I felt the need to come back and post again. Social order dictates that we all respect each other. That includes not allowing your dog to use somebody else's property as their private privy. Even if you do pick it up, it is a gross violation of the rules of being a good neighbor to assume that its okay for you to just let your dog do his business on somebody's lawn. Walk around your own lawn and let him go there. Not mine! For you to say that "life is too short too worry about it," is saying that you want to pick and choose which rules of etiquette your wish to obey.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:31 PM

:cop: :edit: :dontknow:They should be banned from the village squares at all times as well as at all restaurants outside tables. :bigthumbsup: :#1:
Old 04-22-2007, 12:41 PM

I have aways had a dog or dogs but I agree there are too many in The Villages and these people seem to have to take them every where with them...Banning is a great Idea....Lets get on the NO MORE CRAP BANDWAGONjavascript:void(0);
Old 04-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

Geez. Double Geez. Banning dogs a GREAT idea!!! Ok.....what's the alternative? Euthanasia? Banning dogs in The Villages........fer cry'in out loud? That could result in an exodus of substantial proportion. Heck, I might be among that exodus crowd. I could never part with my beloved Val after 15 years. She depends on me and I love her. She gives me great joy and I should be worthy of such devotion. People consider their pets family members....and rightfully so. Think about it. What will banning dogs, man's (and many many very cool women's) best friend, do to your property value if every other house in your village were put-up for sale? I for one, appreciate folks who love animals, large and small (yeah....cats too). Get real. Geez.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM

You said it well John - I'm with you. Who would want to live in a community with out pets... Next is no grand kids.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:34 PM

I agree with the "no dog" rule for the Squares and all restaurants. Dog lover or not, they don't belong there.

The exception, of course, would be helper dogs - but then they're pretty well behaved in the first place.

Bobbie
Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 AM

i own 2 small dogs 5 lbs. they do not do their business in anyone's yard except mine. i do take them to the square and to rj gators but i do it with consideration of everyone as i have them in a stroller. they are not allowed to walk around as they could trip someone or my pets could get hurt. most people control their pets better than the grandparents or parents who let their kids do cartwheels or run around the square like wild indians. we are of a age where getting knocked down by a pet, uncontrolled children and just plain rude people can be a serious matter. give me a well behaved dog anyday. i do not believe the villages can ban pets on the homeowners propery. to try to do so would lead to a vast media blast and the name of the villages would go down the tubes from here to europe.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:20 PM

I also have a small dog and take him to the square where he is much better behaved than the kids that 'proud' or is it stupid grandparents bring along.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:54 PM

I owned a farm with many animals: horses, dogs, cats, chickens, cattle, goats, pigs etc. They did not use our neighbors lawns as a toilet. Dogs being walked on the road: use your lawn first as their toilet then walk them on the road. Property owners need to confront these pet owners who use their lawns as toilets and if necessary actually press charges. Keep a camera handy. Is this extreme, yes, but consider the type of pet owner who has no respect for others property. These owners can't be insulted but you can make a huge issue of their behavior. People take advantage of others because few want to create "a scene". I am not one for sitting back and suffering their abuse.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

Just a reminder....make sure your camera has infrared capability. If your camera does not have this feature, it's worth the investment. Gotta catch 'em at night time too.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 07-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

Don't worry oshunluva. Dogs are welcome here and always will be in my opinion. When the flood gates open....it's difficult to put the water back in.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 07-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Veteran member

There would be a massive exodus if that heppened! About 50% or better of the folks here have pets and most of them are dogs. As for me, I'd sell the place I love to keep by little 10 year doggie. Nah...not a chance in you know where it would happen!!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.