Is it true what the police told me about mowers blocking my driveway?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Lets hear an explanation from someone who's retired from law enforcement
Any retired policemen here ?
I replied earlier about finding the owner of the mowers and asking them to move the mowers in a nice way because someone has to leave; most old people want to get confrontational if something doesn’t go their way. Most of the time being nice will work. But, don’t ever touch another persons equipment.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
...most old people want to get confrontational if something doesn’t go their way...
Your opinion of course. Not mine.
Quote:
...don’t ever touch another persons equipment.
Is that a stronger ‘don’t ever’ than don’t ever block a person’s driveway? Not for me.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

When the police do not do their job, someone else has to do it for them. Someone mentioned taking the law into your own hands... when you are left with no choice when no one is enforcing the law because they are overwhelmed or whatever. We have what we call civil arrest in our area. This driveway incident would not qualify though.

In the city what we do when we want to indicate ‘do not park in front of my house I need it for a special purpose’ we put, like the city workers, orange cones on the area to be reserved. Now if you touched those cones, they would be touching your private property. In this city of many millions the cones are honored.

I believe in being considerate and kind but it goes both ways and in all languages.

Last edited by Velvet; 08-12-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Why can't you take photos as "evidence" and go down to PD HQ and sign a complaint ? No police intervention needed. I would think they would mail them a ticket as long as you provide the violation code but if they dispute it you would have to go to court since YOU are signing off on it not the cops. That's how it worked up north for minor things like this and even slight more major things. That would also be "Judge Judy approved."
Old 08-12-2019, 08:02 PM
Thumbs down

Quote:
I replied earlier about finding the owner of the mowers and asking them to move the mowers in a nice way because someone has to leave; most old people want to get confrontational if something doesn’t go their way. Most of the time being nice will work. But, don’t ever touch another persons equipment.
Of course you and many other posters with reading comprehension issues conveniently missed the op writing that the offending crew was nowhere to be found at the time.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
And even if they don't speak English, so what? You can ask them to move it, in Spanish. Or French, or whatever other language you feel you need to ask them in. Here it is in Spanish, courtesy of google:

"Aleje su cortadora de césped de mi camino de entrada." Takes less than 30 seconds to look it up, and maybe half that long to figure out how to pronounce it.
Not interested! I am interested though in law abiding people working in the community and a return to respect for other people’s property. I will leave your solution to you.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=Bogie Shooter;1672772]Doubtful...…..[/QUOTE

Responses here are just opinion.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
OK. Everyone agrees that they should not have parked there. But, the OP did not have the right to move the mower. It was on the street, not on his property. That is the question he is asking - "Was I wrong for moving the mower". Yes it is an inconvenience that many of us have gone through. But you just have to go looking for them to move it.

When someone does something wrong, that does not give you the right to do something wrong back. We all taught our children that.
The lawn crew was wrong blocking the driveway but the officer couldn’t enforce that but he could enforce the property owner moving the lawn mower out of the way. What’s wrong with this picture?
Closed Thread

Tags
equipment, driveway, police, lawn, mowers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.