Speeding cars

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Founder
Default Speeding cars

Is it my imagination or are there more cars really exceeding the residential speed limits lately. I live in Chatham and the traffic on Legacy appears to be going much faster than the 25 mile per hour limit. I've seen the Marion County Sheriff working radar along there, but it doesn't seem to slow people down. Is it like that anywhere else, or just here? A friend of mine got a $185ticket and two points on Legacy. :-[
Old 12-10-2006, 11:56 AM
Default Re: Speeding cars

It's not your imagination, people down here just don't observe speed limits or stop signs. Law enforcement just can't be everywhere.

Heard last week that a roll through stop sign with a golf cart cost $186.00, 4 points and drivers school. Sounded a little harsh to me but maybe that's what it will take to make us obey the laws.

Sparky
Old 12-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Founder

I walk with a couple of friends of mine every morning. We go 5 miles from Chatham up to Mulberry and back. Sometimes, we have to jump out of the way as cars speed by. I hope the sheriff can devote more time to the Villages before somebody is killed. >
Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 PM

I would love to see fines quadrupled. There are too many people with disposable incomes around here. $185 is pocket change to them. Perhaps a $500 fine would actually hit them in their bank account rather than their pockets and they would consider modifying their driving habits.

Just out of curiosity, Jan, how many mph over the speed limit was your friend going?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:33 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
I would love to see fines quadrupled. There are too many people with disposable incomes around here. $185 is pocket change to them. Perhaps a $500 fine would actually hit them in their bank account rather than their pockets and they would consider modifying their driving habits.

Just out of curiosity, Jan, how many mph over the speed limit was your friend going?
My friend was 10 miles an hour over the limit. He was doine 35 in a 25.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:58 PM

I'm still trying to learn how to navigate around this thing. I'm mechanically challenged. But I'm looking for Jan. Almost feels like a Ouija board experience.

How can we get more people in The Villages to contribute to this website? I found out by accident it even existed. More people should know it's here...any ideas??
Old 01-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitrusSister
I'm still trying to learn how to navigate around this thing. I'm mechanically challenged. But I'm looking for Jan. Almost feels like a Ouija board experience.

How can we get more people in The Villages to contribute to this website? I found out by accident it even existed. More people should know it's here...any ideas??
We are as eager as you to get more people here. It looks like people are coming and reading, but not posting and we are at a loss to understand it. Talk of the Villages is planning a major media campaign to get the word out, but if people come, read and not post, it kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing, doesn't it. You said you found out by accident, I'm curious how you located us.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Founder

BTW, if you would ever like to contact me, please just click on my screen name "talk host" and you will see a menu of things to do. You may send me an email there or a Private Message (PM).

Thanks
JLK
Old 01-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Irishmom4

JLK, we have seen a similar situation is other parks. Some people are just in too big of a hurry. They need to slow down and be considerate of others. We learned of this web site from Lyle Gant's realty web site. He has some really cool stuff including the Villages Yellow pages. Irishmom4.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 PM

I had a problem with a Snappy Tomato Pizza driver one day that cut me off going down Paige into Spanish Springs My husband was behind me and thought he hit me when he cut me off. As he speed though the light which was yellow. I went into the store the nexted day to tell the manager he cared less....So be careful for the car it is a green toyota. Please let's all slow down!
Old 01-19-2007, 05:04 PM

I am finding it interesting that I am not seeing the police stationed too many places in The Villages during these busy visitor months. They seem to be the ones speeding down Buena Vista and Morse these days. I am wondering if they feel that stopping the visitors would be a turn off to moving to the Villages. Has anyone else noticed this? I would hate to think that the visitors are being catered to and the residents beware. I am all for speed control and driving safely but certainly do not want it to be selective.

Sharon
Old 01-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer5746
I am finding it interesting that I am not seeing the police stationed too many places in The Villages during these busy visitor months. They seem to be the ones speeding down Buena Vista and Morse these days. I am wondering if they feel that stopping the visitors would be a turn off to moving to the Villages. Has anyone else noticed this? I would hate to think that the visitors are being catered to and the residents beware. I am all for speed control and driving safely but certainly do not want it to be selective.

Sharon
Very interesting observation. The Marion County sheriff was working the Lopez Legacy area heavy until about a month ago. They then stopped. It did not occur to me that what you are saying may be correct. They better start up again because somebody is going to be killed. The speeding has gotten out of control. Specially after dark, all bets are off.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafer5746

Sharon
The boy's in Green :copSumter County Sheriff) have been doing a respectable job on Buena Vista down by the Polo Field. I've seen them out there 2-3 times in the last few weeks. I hope they stay out there 24 hours a day and maybe they can lower my property taxes. ;D
Old 01-21-2007, 06:39 PM

I know this is risky, but has anyone considered raising the speed limit. The roads are great, no snow, or ice. I think the speed limits are too low. I am putting on my bullet proof vest now.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Founder

The speed limits are pretty low here. Is it because of the golf cart influence, the bicycles and the walkers? I'm not sure that raising the limits is a good idea. (no bullet proof vest needed because of me ;D)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.