Tunnel Walkers

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Sage

In my opinion TV is not walker-friendly. The least risk for walkers appear to be the interior streets. You can't really get places walking without contending with golf carts on the multi-modal paths or tunnels and cars and bicycles on the major streets.

I wish they had installed convenient trails for walking.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:45 PM

Here's my thought on the matter of walking in a tunnel . . . If I knew I would be walking in the tunnel in advance, I'd bring a flashlight with me. Upon hearing entering traffic, I'd point the flashlight kinda up toward my face/body so the others could see me, a real live person in the tunnel.

Funny story: One time, I was riding my bike in the tunnel after 11 pm (no golfcart traffic around) and pedaled like a maniac to get up the speed for exiting out of the tunnel and UP the ramp. Well, I cut it short on the left hand side coming out and turned my front tire right into one of those rubber bumpers/reflectors nailed into the middle of the road. Might I add, I never saw it coming. I was ejected off my bike to the left hand side, hip and elbow hitting the ground first, my bike flew past me. Of course, nobody was around to see this comedy so I just laid there, snickering, cursing obscenities at myself, and assessing the damage. Long story short, I was able to ride the rest of the way home but the bruise on my hip was the ugliest looking thing I have ever seen. Two months later it was still visible. I was wearing a helmet but my head never hit the ground.

Moral of the story: Be careful in a tunnel, everybody! And watch out for people like me. Hahaha.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
A torch Articfox? How would we ever guess where you are from
Strike a light, Guv, that pesky spell-checker must have changed it from "flashlight", AJ :-)
Old 03-27-2015, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

The tunnels I walk through way up north have center walk ways down the middle separating the two golf cart lanes. I guess the tunnels down south was made on budget with no middle walk path?

Last edited by Topspinmo; 03-28-2015 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Sage

I do not find any of the tunnels to dark to see pedestrians. Sorry, but if a cart driver can't see someone walking in the tunnels, then they probably shouldn't be driving a cart. Go ahead and slam me if you want.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:23 PM

In tunnels I walk near the centerline. Against traffic as I enter, with traffic as I exit....seems like I have better chance to dodge the carts doing this.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Still not walking in a tunnel. I have control over what i do, but not others

This morning, I was just thinking, after reading one of your posts, THIS person is so reasonable and smart and tonight I think it again. So glad to have your calm and always intelligent posts on this forum. I so agree. I so agree.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 PM
Veteran member

The tunnels are for everyone and the stupid filter does not work underground for some reason.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

I have been walking the MMP's and tunnels for11 years.
In the last year I have been wearing a red flasher on my waist.
Always walk facing traffic.
With 11 years experience I conclude:
Drivers hold the go pedal to the floor no matter the conditions.
Drivers do not know there is a brake on the cart.
Anytime I have had a cart come at me the driver did not see me till the last second.
Most people are very good about sharing and being careful!
I walk 2 miles 6 mornings per week and
Wearing the flasher has made a noticeable difference.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:52 AM
Gold member

Just because you "have a right" to walk in vehicular traffic and tunnels does not mean all drivers can SEE you.....especially in a dark tunnel when carts come into them from bright sunlight.

Some pedestrians seem to be daring drivers to hit them, like they could "win" against a 1600 lb. golf cart!

There will always be places that are simply not safe to walk through.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

I would kinda freak out if I saw someone walking anywhere with a "torch" .... not to mention in a tunnel.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:13 AM

There are two women in our neighborhood who tend to walk early morning and late evening. They always wear neon vests with a reflective stripe. You can see them coming for miles! Smart idea.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
I would kinda freak out if I saw someone walking anywhere with a "torch" .... not to mention in a tunnel.
yes, the smoke from the burning pitch is a tad annoying, but they are great when storming Frankenstein's castle
Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I do not find any of the tunnels to dark to see pedestrians. Sorry, but if a cart driver can't see someone walking in the tunnels, then they probably shouldn't be driving a cart. Go ahead and slam me if you want.
I don't wish to slam you Doug, but I do believe your statement is wrong, as are others who refer to golf cart drivers as "stupid" for not seeing walkers in tunnels. I can assure you that I am a safe and attentive driver with good eyesight and reflexes. However, I have had two experiences with walkers in tunnels where I didn't see them when I first entered the tunnel. Had we been any closer to one another, there could have easily been an accident. One walker was moving with traffic and the other was moving against traffic. Both times it was a bright sunny day and both times the walker was wearing dark clothing. And I think that was the point of the OP. Walkers should make themselves as visible as possible.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

If you are foolish enough to walk through a tunnel I suggest you hug the wall and scoot through in a timely manner.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.