Turn signals in roundabouts

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2021, 10:03 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
No. You are always entering the circle with another vehicle. I am not. Nor are others who follow the safety rules. Traffic behind does not...or should not...matter.
On the contrary, You are making up your own safety rules. There is nothing wrong with entering a clear circle with a vehicle in the next lane. There does not appear to any Florida Laws regarding circles in Chapter 316 so the closest thing is the below brochure.
https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	tcircle.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	87878  

Last edited by Bilyclub; 01-26-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Just thank your lucky stars that the majority of posters on this subject, never worked as Air Traffic Controllers!!
Old 01-27-2021, 06:51 AM

In the U.K., if you don't use a turn signal when exiting then you are reminded with a single finger salute.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidedavis View Post
In the U.K., if you don't use a turn signal when exiting then you are reminded with a single finger salute.
We live in quite a posh area.
You get two fingers round here!
Old 01-27-2021, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
On the contrary, You are making up your own safety rules. There is nothing wrong with entering a clear circle with a vehicle in the next lane. There does not appear to any Florida Laws regarding circles in Chapter 316 so the closest thing is the below brochure.
https://www.districtgov.org/communit...t-02-08-12.pdf
From your own source...

“DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the round- about, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit.”

And...

The Yield sign graphic with the following text “YIELD to traffic already in the roundabout.”

Whether or not you find specific laws, it is an accepted and very good best practice for navigating a roundabout. Again, the above is from your source.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:16 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
From your own source...

“DO NOT ENTER next to a vehicle in the round- about, as that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit.”

And...

The Yield sign graphic with the following text “YIELD to traffic already in the roundabout.”

Whether or not you find specific laws, it is an accepted and very good best practice for navigating a roundabout. Again, the above is from your source.

That quote is for a vehicle already in the circle why else would they say that vehicle may be exiting at the next exit. I never said to enter a circle when there is an oncoming vehicle. An accepted practice? Why, because you say so? Entering a circle with a vehicle in the lane next to you also entering the circle is acceptable and common practice that I see every day. If the directional signs posted before the circles were followed there is no conflict. The outside lane should turn right or go straight.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:44 AM

The biggest problems, including near misses, are people changing lanes in the round about. Especially when exiting, do not change lanes until you are out of the round about.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Since all of us writing these posts are currently alive, it means we all must know how to navigate the roundabouts. Otherwise, we would be dead.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:22 PM
Sage

Bilyclub, let’s have a truce, okay?

I was talking about entering a roundabout with vehicles already approaching in the roundabout. You were talking about entering a roundabout with a vehicle beside you on the approaching road. Two different things. We had a misunderstanding.

I will say this though...if I entered a roundabout with a vehicle beside me on the approaching road, I would be adjusting my speed as needed to avoid having the vehicle beside me in the roundabout...a basic principle of roundabout driving.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
Since all of us writing these posts are currently alive, it means we all must know how to navigate the roundabouts. Otherwise, we would be dead.
Would not be so sure about that.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Bilyclub, let’s have a truce, okay?

I was talking about entering a roundabout with vehicles already approaching in the roundabout. You were talking about entering a roundabout with a vehicle beside you on the approaching road. Two different things. We had a misunderstanding.

I will say this though...if I entered a roundabout with a vehicle beside me on the approaching road, I would be adjusting my speed as needed to avoid having the vehicle beside me in the roundabout...a basic principle of roundabout driving.
Agree. As I said before, I will enter the RAB next to another car but I "hang back" and do not ever drive next to a car in the RAB. Ya never know what another driver is gonna do.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
I would be happy if people would stop changing lanes in a round about...ever, and especially if they would stop changing lanes right before they leave the roundabout. Apparently they do this so they can enter the resident side of the gate...but they should WAIT until they leave the round about to change lanes. This happens frequently, every day. I am very cautious as I know people won't even follow this simple rule
Ok the simple roundabout rules. Whoever is in has right of way over whoever is out. Whoever is in front has right of way over whoever is behind. Never change lanes in the roundabout. Never overtake, drive next to or pass, anyone ahead of you. Signal a right hand turn for your exit. Corollary rules: hang onto your hat and watch out for the other nutcases around you.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:55 PM
Platinum member

I'll stick to the published standards...
Closed Thread

Tags
lane, turn, exit, left, signals

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.