Turnpike noise by Southern Oaks

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2022, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,026 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldragbagger View Post
That is quite a judgement to jump to without personally knowing us all and why we made the house buying decisions we did. To come to the conclusion that we were all just clueless people buying the first home we looked at might be a leap. And, as another poster mentioned, most of the people who worry about the noise are people who don’t actually live down here. Everyone I have talked to down here is very happy to be here, as are we.

Some people know better than to expect perfection in life, no matter where you are. It’s a balancing act, at least it is for us. Things that are important to us vs. what you can live with and what you can afford. There are a lot of beautiful homes down here south of 44 that are situated near the turnpike. And also a lot of good reasons to want to live in them such as less traffic and more green space and preserves with great walking/biking trails. We also find the cycling opportunities down here are so much better than the northern sections where the MMP’s are so busy, entrances and exits from tunnels very steep, and no paths that are dedicated for just walkers and cyclists. We are also excited about Eastport and Sawgrass Grove coming and the easy access we will have to it. Those were a huge part of the appeal for us and, of course, what we could afford figured heavily into it. New homes are actually much more affordable than the pre-owned and, while not a deal breaker, the new home warranty is always a “nice to have.” We love our home.

We can see the traffic on the turnpike out our front door in Hawkins. We hardly ever hear anything in the house, and then only faintly, not at all if the tv or stereo is on and we have never noticed it at night in our bedroom. We do hear it on the lanai, sometimes louder than others. It doesn’t come anywhere close to being loud enough to interfere with conversation. We either tune it out or put on a little music. It beats the heck out of the constantly barking dogs and train whistles we had at our last home.
Your happy where you are is all that matters.
Old 06-27-2022, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
I assume those forcing us will the the same ones that FORCED us to buy CDs instead of vinyl. I recall well, THEM showing up at my door and pointing shotguns at my head saying we are here to take your vinyl. Please hand it over peacefully.
So thats why all of our vinyl records never made it down here. Was wondering where they went?
Old 06-27-2022, 09:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
We played the back nine on Southern Oaks Champ course yesterday, first time. The traffic noise from the Turnpike was unsettling. Especially the semis throttling down to turn into the Okahumpka Rest area right across.

There are many homes off the fairway with their lanais facing this. I mentioned that we should start a company to glass in lanais etc there.

Those lots must have been $$$$. Personally, I would not want to live around the turnpike, esp in that area.
Good point. In another development I was looking at I notice for sale signs for several homes that boarded a 4 lane highway that did not have much traffic. I inquired and found that the noise from the road was the reason several were selling. If you are going to buy in such an area best to spend a few hours at the lot testing the noise level.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:24 AM
Default Lanai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
We played the back nine on Southern Oaks Champ course yesterday, first time. The traffic noise from the Turnpike was unsettling. Especially the semis throttling down to turn into the Okahumpka Rest area right across.

There are many homes off the fairway with their lanais facing this. I mentioned that we should start a company to glass in lanais etc there.

Those lots must have been $$$$. Personally, I would not want to live around the turnpike, esp in that area.
Ther is a company that will enclose your lanai
Old 06-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Veteran member

Now I know why when Golfing at SO my score has gone up....THE NOISE....THE NOISE.......Who Knew??????
Old 06-27-2022, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
In one of my favorite movies, My Cousin Vinnie, Danny DeVito, illustrated this very well. Slept during a train and was wide awake when birds were chirping.
Joe Pesci...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-27-2022, 12:05 PM
Default Gatorgreen

Don't worry we will all be driving Teslas in a couple of years. No noise.
Old 06-27-2022, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgreen View Post
Don't worry we will all be driving Teslas in a couple of years. No noise.

-Tom Petty
Old 06-27-2022, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Noise could be a deal breaker but some homes on exec. Golf courses have a sewer plant in their back yard, that would be more offensive.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:48 PM

I think most people agree that living next to the turnpike is probably a noisy experience. I can't believe all the homes right on Meggison across from the turnpike. If you live about a mile away from the turnpike the noise isn't a problem except on winter nights where the winds go northward.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:55 PM
Sage

Hopefully when people buy near a major highway they know beforehand what they are getting themselves into.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:05 PM

To each his own.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphague View Post
Most of my life since grade school I have lived within two miles of a major freeway. I am in DeLuna and do not even notice any noise on my lanai nor does my wife. I am about 3/4 - 1 mile away from the tollway with lots of houses between. My wife and I both listened for noise at various times before buying and were satisfied.

My across the street neighbor is from a rural area. He can't believe how noisy it is and glassed in his lanai.

He has commented that it doesn't seem as noisy on my side of the street, but I never noticed it on his either.

My point, as others have pointed out, is this is all dependent upon what the buyer is used to and is good with.
This issue also depends on the level of hearing one has.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
And what about the Air Pollution? You are breathing that exhause 24x7. In my opinion those homes are way too close to the turnpike. I almost bought a home in Marsh Bend but when i went into the yard i could see and hear the trucks on the Turnpike. I actually was able to wave and one of the truckers honked his horn lol..

Now what's going to happen when the Turnpike is expanded to more lanes in the coming years? What a mess.
Seriously? A trucker waved at you? OMG......that is waaaaaaay too close to those homes.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Seriously? A trucker waved at you? OMG......that is waaaaaaay too close to those homes.
I have a bridge for sale, PM me.

Tags
turnpike, area, noise, oaks, southern

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.