Turnpike noise by Southern Oaks

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2022, 07:17 AM
Default Traffic noise...depends

Most of my life since grade school I have lived within two miles of a major freeway. I am in DeLuna and do not even notice any noise on my lanai nor does my wife. I am about 3/4 - 1 mile away from the tollway with lots of houses between. My wife and I both listened for noise at various times before buying and were satisfied.

My across the street neighbor is from a rural area. He can't believe how noisy it is and glassed in his lanai.

He has commented that it doesn't seem as noisy on my side of the street, but I never noticed it on his either.

My point, as others have pointed out, is this is all dependent upon what the buyer is used to and is good with.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:42 AM

Life is too short to let it bother you. We are in DeSoto and some days are worse than others, but it isn’t bad enough to make us want to sell. We came from a very quiet place with more cows than people as neighbors. I’d rather listen to the toll road’s white noise than hearing bulls and cows making whoopie.

For those who don’t live nearby but are concerned about those who do, maybe setup a counseling kiosk somewhere on Meggison Rd for potential buyers.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:47 AM

I live in the village of Saint Catherine’s across the street from Southern Oaks. I can hear the low rumble of noise in the morning hours, but nothing during the daytime. They do have some beautiful homes next to the turnpike but they do not seem to sell nearly as fast and I’ve even seen price reductions on them not much but $3000 to $5000 price reduction on several of the golf course views of the golf course then of the turnpike. I went and looked at a beautiful waterfront home in St. James walked out the lanai and I not only could you hear the noise I could see the truck and I could see the cars on the turnpike‘s. To each their own. But a little too noisy and too close for me. It also makes it harder for a resale. If resell is something you’re thinking about later on.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:48 AM

Yeah! Just imagine what the adjoining land owners thought when 120.000 people had homes built next to there quite properties! Ironic isn't it!!!
Old 06-26-2022, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
There may be people that have lived in places like New York City or Philadelphia all fo their lives and feel that the turnpike noise is nothing compared to what they're used to.
They may actually feel more at home. Friend of my would visit me in the country and commented that the peace and quiet was nice but hard to sleep.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,045 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I hate it when people are always clapping and cheering after my golf shots.
I have to take my hearing aids out or the noise from my fans is overwhelming.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:53 AM

The turnpike was there long before the golf course or those houses. Maybe the developer could build a sound barrier wall? Don't hold your breath.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:56 AM

Just like the neighbors with yapping dogs… they don’t hear it but all the other neighbors do..!!!
Old 06-26-2022, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparsoneau@aol.com View Post
I live in the village of Saint Catherine’s across the street from Southern Oaks. I can hear the low rumble of noise in the morning hours, but nothing during the daytime. They do have some beautiful homes next to the turnpike but they do not seem to sell nearly as fast and I’ve even seen price reductions on them not much but $3000 to $5000 price reduction on several of the golf course views of the golf course then of the turnpike. I went and looked at a beautiful waterfront home in St. James walked out the lanai and I not only could you hear the noise I could see the truck and I could see the cars on the turnpike‘s. To each their own. But a little too noisy and too close for me. It also makes it harder for a resale. If resell is something you’re thinking about later on.
Nothing new on discounted homes. Has nothing to do with noise from turnpike. Been here since 2007, and As every village that has very few homes for sale the developer has always put a discount on the last remaining homes. Sometimes over $20,000. It sells out the village, so the next 3-5 new villages can move all sales to that area.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:10 AM

And what about the Air Pollution? You are breathing that exhause 24x7. In my opinion those homes are way too close to the turnpike. I almost bought a home in Marsh Bend but when i went into the yard i could see and hear the trucks on the Turnpike. I actually was able to wave and one of the truckers honked his horn lol..

Now what's going to happen when the Turnpike is expanded to more lanes in the coming years? What a mess.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
We played the back nine on Southern Oaks Champ course yesterday, first time. The traffic noise from the Turnpike was unsettling. Especially the semis throttling down to turn into the Okahumpka Rest area right across.

There are many homes off the fairway with their lanais facing this. I mentioned that we should start a company to glass in lanais etc there.

Those lots must have been $$$$. Personally, I would not want to live around the turnpike, esp in that area.
That noise will be 24/7 and only get worse. Some people don’t mind or can’t hear very well. I would be more concerned about the exhaust fumes!
Old 06-26-2022, 08:31 AM

Does the sound of birds bother you on golf course? Played it many times and never thought noise from highway was bad.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:33 AM
Default No sympathy

The Turnpike has been there a long time. The Turnpike has vehicles. There is noise.
People who don't get it are those that complain. You buy property by a highway will have noise. Likewise, people who buy housing next to a farm...guess what...expect to have smells and higher bug account.
Buying those properties, one needs to upgrade housing to offset issues, whether noise or smells
Old 06-26-2022, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts
Default Seems like..

Seems like folks that don’t live near the turnpike have more concerns about noise…….than those that live there.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,711 Times in 5,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
That noise will be 24/7 and only get worse. Some people don’t mind or can’t hear very well. I would be more concerned about the exhaust fumes!
Good point. Traffic exhaust fumes can travel as far as a mile downwind from a highway.
Closed Thread

Tags
turnpike, area, noise, oaks, southern

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.