TV agents being let go for no reason?

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2019, 09:02 AM
Veteran member
Default Let go

Maybe it's to make room for the developer's nieces, nephews and grandkids who need jobs.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
If these were the words from the person let go;

"let go for no reason"

Does anybody think if a person was let go for a reason that is what they would be telling others?

Of course not.
Of course there was a reason. There is always a reason. However, the person let go is often not told. Therefore, "I was let go for no reason".
Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Of course there was a reason. There is always a reason. However, the person let go is often not told. Therefore, "I was let go for no reason".
More like "I was let go without a reason".
Steve
Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Why? Because less skilled employees will make you more money? IMHO this reply doesn't make sense.
Generally true but on the other side of the argument is they can "mold" new "fresh employees who may be "hungrier" and more willing to accept less to how they want things done now not as others have been doing it for the last 10 years as well as pay them less. Kind of like (in other types of businesses) giving new hourly employees 1 hour less than "full-time" to avoid having to pay benefits like $$medical$$ etc. That I can say from experience on both employee and employer side.

Here in TV it is a sellers market so the need for "top of the line highly experienced" people might be slightly less because selling homes here really isn't a professionals job but just a sales job. If "A" doesn't sell it "B" will.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Old 07-22-2019, 10:38 AM

Florida is a right to work state...business decisions are made every day. The Properties of The Villages is a Business and they run as such. If an employee does not fit the bill then it is time for them to go. There are never hard feelings...feelings don't come into it at all...merely a business decision. Before you work for The Villages you have to accept the fact that you could get let go at any time and they do not have to give you a reason. The company is taking a different direction is all they have to say. There is no obligation on anyone's part BUT they do make you sign a non-compete clause. So think twice before you jump! Working for The Villages is not always the best fit! The Realtors ( those that work for RE/MAX, ERA, Realty Executives, Foxfire, and the like) do just fine and you get the same results, most of the time better results. The successful Realtors that work hard are the go getters and they are independent from The Villages...they take it one step farther and take the code of ethics and core law and yes they join the National Association of Realtors and uphold the values.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
It seems strange that no agents have posted on here what is happening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I would guess that it is company policy not to discuss anything to do with the company.
There are a lot of anonymous posters on TOTV.

Oh wait, anonymous that's who keeps calling me.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyofaDeb View Post
Florida is a right to work state...business decisions are made every day. The Properties of The Villages is a Business and they run as such. If an employee does not fit the bill then it is time for them to go. There are never hard feelings...feelings don't come into it at all...merely a business decision. Before you work for The Villages you have to accept the fact that you could get let go at any time and they do not have to give you a reason. The company is taking a different direction is all they have to say. There is no obligation on anyone's part BUT they do make you sign a non-compete clause. So think twice before you jump! Working for The Villages is not always the best fit! The Realtors ( those that work for RE/MAX, ERA, Realty Executives, Foxfire, and the like) do just fine and you get the same results, most of the time better results. The successful Realtors that work hard are the go getters and they are independent from The Villages...they take it one step farther and take the code of ethics and core law and yes they join the National Association of Realtors and uphold the values.

Isn't Right to Work laws relate to Union shops???

You have the right to work without joining the union if the company is unionized.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:38 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

I just checked the website and started to count agents. There are six agents per row so I started to count: 6, 12, 18...At 90 I got bored and stopped and was only partly through the alphabet.

In the real world, outside the bubble, a small percentage of agents make most of the money. Don't know if that is true for the agents working for TV.

Does anyone know if Villages agents are employees or independent contractors? My guess is managing brokers and support staff are likely employees and the agents independent contractors.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 07-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I just checked the website and started to count agents. There are six agents per row so I started to count: 6, 12, 18...At 90 I got bored and stopped and was only partly through the alphabet.

In the real world, outside the bubble, a small percentage of agents make most of the money. Don't know if that is true for the agents working for TV.

Does anyone know if Villages agents are employees or independent contractors? My guess is managing brokers and support staff are likely employees and the agents independent contractors.
30 previous posters said yes, 27 said no. and a whole bunch don't really care...…..
Old 07-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
30 previous posters said yes, 27 said no. and a whole bunch don't really care...…..

Old 07-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Just heard from my barber.
Evidently he was about to be sacked, but was kept on at the last minute.
It was a close shave.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post

Villages' agents are independent contractors and get a 1099.
They receive no benefits.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Villages' agents are independent contractors and get a 1099.
They receive no benefits.
Thank you!

So, they are independent contractors and not employees. Hence laws that govern the relationship between employers and their employees do not apply to them.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
agents, years, warnings, dismissed, job

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.