Tv antenna stations available?

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Me too, same general area. Going to add an amp. Pic from the seller, though I have the same mounting pole.
We have the same setup in the attic, installed by Tom of Villages AV. We live just south of 466A and get all the major networks. NBC now works with their recent move from VHF to UHF. Picture is HD and crystal clear.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerman View Post
We have the same setup in the attic, installed by Tom of Villages AV. We live just south of 466A and get all the major networks. NBC now works with their recent move from VHF to UHF. Picture is HD and crystal clear.
Do you have a phone number for Tom of Villages AV?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2021, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

The lawsuit started in 2019 , it was handled like any other lawsuit in the courts , but if you want to wrongfully pick someone to blame , I wonder who was around in 2019
Old 09-19-2021, 08:00 AM

Is anyone using an indoor TV antenna in Fenny area? If you are and you get a decent signal, what type/model do you have? Thanks!
Old 09-19-2021, 08:52 AM

Tom no longer does attic antennas. He also prefers text messages.
352-388-1677
Old 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Putting a TV antenna in your attic is one of the easiest do-it-yourself projects I found. I have 3 cable leads coming from the 2 BRs and LR. They are outside the garage and I have Direct TV so they are connected to the box. One BR I don't have Directv and wanted to connect to an antenna. I took that coax out of the box and pulled it up back up into the attic and extended it with coax I got with the antenna from Amazon.

I bought this antenna on Amazon for $27 with free shipping, that was 3 years ago, it's gone up slightly.

Amazon.com

I also bought the mounting pole/stand for $17 from Amazon, it's short, about 2' long. I mounted the antenna on one of the rafters at the front of the garage near the access hole, it's best if you had pull down steps installed, I had Tom "the Toolman" Miller install metal ones ten years ago for $295 along with 100 sf of plywood flooring.

I connected the coax that I pulled in from the outside to the antenna. I went to the guest BR and mounted a 42" TV on a wall rack, I bought the rack on Amazon for $30. I bought a cable wall kit at Home Depot for $50, it came with a drill bit that I could cut two holes in the wall, one low behind a dresser and one high behind the TV. Fished the coax from the wall outlet behind the dresser into the newly made concealed cavity in the wall up to the TV and then out. Also a power cable from outlet up through the wall. Here's the kit from HD.

Home Depot wall conceal kit

I had guessed what direction to aim the antenna, locked it in place, turned on the TV and no picture. I called Tom (Villager AV) he's mentioned above several times, and he lives in St. James (one village away from me), he answered and said he would stop by later on his way home.

He checked the wiring and found the 30' of coax that came with the antenna from Amazon was defective. I had used some coax in the attic to extend the length from outside the garage. He replaced the coax and aimed the antenna better to 117 degrees using a phone app, we checked everything and the TV works. He charged $70 for about an hour's labor and cable.

I get all the major networks and sub-channels and many others, probably at least 60 channels, although between Spanish language and religious, that eliminates about 25 of them. It's simply a backup since I still have Directv on my other two larger sets. It's a guest BR so I wanted something, but not to have a Directv box all the time, so is a great solution. I live in the area of Buena Vista and 466A, probably ten miles NW of Fenney as a bird flies.

Last edited by John_W; 09-19-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Putting a TV antenna in your attic is one of the easiest do-it-yourself projects I found. I have 3 cable leads coming from the 2 BRs and LR. They are outside the garage and I have Direct TV so they are connected to the box. One BR I don't have Directv and wanted to connect to an antenna. I took that coax out of the box and pulled it up back up into the attic and extended it with coax I got with the antenna from Amazon.

I bought this antenna on Amazon for $27 with free shipping, that was 3 years ago, it's gone up slightly.

Amazon.com

I also bought the mounting pole/stand for $17 from Amazon, it's short, about 2' long. I mounted the antenna on one of the rafters at the front of the garage near the access hole, it's best if you had pull down steps installed, I had Tom "the Toolman" Miller install metal ones ten years ago for $295 along with 100 sf of plywood flooring.

I connected the coax that I pulled in from the outside to the antenna. I went to the guest BR and mounted a 42" TV on a wall rack, I bought the rack on Amazon for $30. I bought a cable wall kit at Home Depot for $50, it came with a drill bit that I could cut two holes in the wall, one low behind a dresser and one high behind the TV. Fished the coax from the wall outlet behind the dresser into the newly made concealed cavity in the wall up to the TV and then out. Also a power cable from outlet up through the wall. Here's the kit from HD.

Home Depot wall conceal kit

I had guessed what direction to aim the antenna, locked it in place, turned on the TV and no picture. I called Tom (Villager AV) he's mentioned above several times, and he lives in St. James (one village away from me), he answered and said he would stop by later on his way home.

He checked the wiring and found the 30' of coax that came with the antenna from Amazon was defective. I had used some coax in the attic to extend the length from outside the garage. He replaced the coax and aimed the antenna better to 117 degrees using a phone app, we checked everything and the TV works. He charged $70 for about an hour's labor and cable.

I get all the major networks and sub-channels and many others, probably at least 60 channels, although between Spanish language and religious, that eliminates about 25 of them. It's simply a backup since I still have Directv on my other two larger sets. It's a guest BR so I wanted something, but not to have a Directv box all the time, so is a great solution. I live in the area of Buena Vista and 466A, probably ten miles NW of Fenney as a bird flies.

Good to see you back.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:03 AM

Live down in Fenny. Bought a cheap indoor antenna just to see what would happen. Had to put it out the window just to get one channel of stuff I don't want to watch. I get enough from free apps, Netflix, Amazon, etc. ESPN3 and Peacock give me enough sports, I buy ESPN+ during college basketball season to watch my team. Think I'll skip the OTA antenna.

IMO, the networks are in the wrong if they say their OTA covers 60+ miles, but unless you put together huge ensembles, you have to buy cable or satellite, or pay for their streaming app. You can have your paid app for all of your extras, but the basic network TV stream on that app should be free. Doesn't even have to be local. Just the network programming. Seems the FCC could do something about that if they don't live such services as Locast.
Closed Thread

Tags
stations, watch, antenna, city, multiple

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.