No sealer on tile in villages homes

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default No sealer on tile in villages homes

Just had the home inspection on my home purchase. Was informed that the villages builder does not seal the tile and grout on any of their installs. So the gout on the floors in the designer kitchens and baths is not sealed. They also said the showers use a non mildew grout and don't need sealing is that true?
Did your walk in showers get moldy in the grout what about soap build up isn't it hard to clean off without the grout being sealed?

Now just so all have the facts I am relating what I was told by the realtor and home inspector. The house is in Tamarind grove so built in 2011.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:53 AM
Sage

just go to HD or Lowes buy sealer, $10 case closed
Old 01-29-2015, 08:08 AM
Sage

the best thing you can do, to prevent mold in any shower or bath is to replace the switch that controls the ventilation fan with a spring would timer switch that is 30 minutes long--when you use the bath or shower- turn the switch on--30 minutes of ventilation will guarantee no mold- the only thing a sealer does is seal i n dirt and make floors almost impossible to clean--we had the sealer professionally removed--no problems NOW
Old 01-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Sage

Ventilation helps but

Sorry I disagree, it acts as paint.

the fan will not dry a floor nor work in other areas of the house like the kitchen floor which is another area of concern

IMO sealer works great
Old 01-29-2015, 08:27 AM
Veteran member

Had new tile installed. Install company said not to seal the grout. Clean with vinegar.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Sage

Sure keep a spray bottle of around and spay and smell it...............

It works killing mold, but the mold is growing on surfaces that it can get grip on, sealing the grout prevents that.

online info
How do I get rid of mildew and mold?

Getting rid of mildew and mold in grout and caulk with topical treatments is difficult if not impossible in that all too often it has grown beneath the surface of what we are trying to clean. While bathroom cleaners and home remedies are billed as being adequate solutions, they cannot penetrate deep enough to eliminate the problem. All too often, harsh chemical treatments employ acids and bases that deteriorate the molecular structure of the grout, making it more porous and susceptible to fungal growth.

In instances where mold has begun to grow, the grout and caulk must be removed and the affected area should be treated with a fungicide to eliminate any microscopic traces of mildew or mold. Then, re-grouting and sealing the new grout will help make it water resistant. However, over time, water will slowly start to penetrate the sealed grout allowing mildews and molds to grow again.

To help prevent a new build-up of molds and mildew, we at GroutRx use products with built-in Microban® anti-microbial technology. Using Microban® grout and sealant in conjunction with each other goes a long way in preventing mold.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

I believe I was told that the grout has to have time to dry completely before sealing. Also the we found the best way to keep the tile clean without filling the grout with dirty water is with a steamer. The new Shark professional works very well for us.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

We sealed it ourselves. Very easy.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Was told by the builder and the company that did the tile that sealing is not necessary, but if we have the need to wait at least 6 months to a year before sealing. If we do seal it could impact the warranty. We also have a steamer. As with everything, we all have our comfort levels and opinions....what a wonderful world.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-29-2015, 01:07 PM
Sage

Just had tile installed in our new FL room by an independent contractor. They told us grout and tile no longer need sealing due to new technology. As for our bathroom we installed a timer switch on the fan and use it whenever we "use" the "conveniences". Helps to remember to switch it on as well.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:54 PM
Email Reported As Spam

What we are seeing here is the ubiquitous contractor/handy man battle of wills.

In all the years of working with craftsmen, contractors, etc I found the disagreements as to water proofing sealing wrapping homes caulking etc is the same as chefs fighting over the better recipe or the ball player on the better strategy.

It can drive you nuts
Old 01-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Gold member

Our tile company told us to wait until after the 1 yr warranty period to treat the grout. If you do anything before that, the warranty could be in question.

I am glad we waited. We have had small cracks in the grout that we had not noticed. Our great inspector, Frank D'Angelo, found them at our inspection. And they have been repaired.

He also recommended "straining" the grout, not "sealing" it. After 1 yr some floor grout is slightly discolored due to traffic patterns. It makes sense to clean and stain it to return it to its original fresh color.

He explained that the stain will protect it from discoloration just as "sealer" would.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
the best thing you can do, to prevent mold in any shower or bath is to replace the switch that controls the ventilation fan with a spring would timer switch that is 30 minutes long--when you use the bath or shower- turn the switch on--30 minutes of ventilation will guarantee no mold- the only thing a sealer does is seal i n dirt and make floors almost impossible to clean--we had the sealer professionally removed--no problems NOW
We had our floor tile grout stained & sealed, due to it constantly getting dirty and being hard to clean. Now the dirt cleans up like a dream.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Ventilation helps but

Sorry I disagree, it acts as paint.

the fan will not dry a floor nor work in other areas of the house like the kitchen floor which is another area of concern

IMO sealer works great
I agree with your statement about the floor. We can leave the fan on all day, and the floor in our Roman shower will still be wet in the evening. I walk an old towel around the floor to dry it off after a shower.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I agree with your statement about the floor. We can leave the fan on all day, and the floor in our Roman shower will still be wet in the evening. I walk an old towel around the floor to dry it off after a shower.
Hand squeegee works well along with the ventilation fan.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.