TV Here I Come!

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2018, 08:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 951 Posts
Default TV Here I Come!

I first joined TOTV 10 years ago, when friends of mine had come down for Christmas to visit a relative, and came back to Upstate NY with Kook-Aid stains on their clothing.
I was eager to buy and join them, but I could just never make the numbers add up. I was still a long way from retirement.
Well, I retired a few years ago, DW retired two years ago and while we still do not own a place in TV, finally we are heading down to snowbird as renters for Jan-March.

We are leaving tomorrow to while our way down from NY, visiting family and neighbors along the way. We have visited TV several times over the years, and now it's our turn to not have to come back home in two weeks.

So, if you are traveling down one of the multi-modals, behind some guy who is smiling from ear to ear, oblivious to the fact that his turn signal has been blinking ever since he made the last turn, stop and say "hi" to me.

C'Ya soon!
Old 12-25-2018, 08:30 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Welcome Laker.

Strap yourself in for Happy Pants.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:37 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts

You sound excited as you should be. Don't bring those NY temperatures down here, we've had enough of that this month. My turn signal is usually on also have a safe trip Laker.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:37 PM

Welcome

Safe travels south.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,327 Posts

That smile will last forever! Welcome home.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We smile after eleven years. Welcome to you.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:56 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I first joined TOTV 10 years ago, when friends of mine had come down for Christmas to visit a relative, and came back to Upstate NY with Kook-Aid stains on their clothing.
I was eager to buy and join them, but I could just never make the numbers add up. I was still a long way from retirement.
Well, I retired a few years ago, DW retired two years ago and while we still do not own a place in TV, finally we are heading down to snowbird as renters for Jan-March.

We are leaving tomorrow to while our way down from NY, visiting family and neighbors along the way. We have visited TV several times over the years, and now it's our turn to not have to come back home in two weeks.

So, if you are traveling down one of the multi-modals, behind some guy who is smiling from ear to ear, oblivious to the fact that his turn signal has been blinking ever since he made the last turn, stop and say "hi" to me.

C'Ya soon!
Properly cancel your turn signals if you really want to be noticed!
Old 12-26-2018, 01:57 PM
Gold member

Just follow any car headed south, there's a fair chance they will be coming to TV.

I used to say I was from upstate NY. When I went to college I found out some people thought upstate was White Plains, others thought it was Albany, some Plattsburg, and some Buffalo. Then I moved to California. Same problem, different coast. I was from either NYC or LA but never lived in either city.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 951 Posts

Been here about 3 weeks and I thought I'd update y'all on my experiences and impressions.
1. Driving down was OK, but South Carolina in I-95 was a parking lot. I am rehabbing a completely ruptured achilles tendon, suffered August 31 back home, on my first and what will be my only, experience on a pickleball court. Driving was OK except for the 3 hours of stop-and-go in SC...otherwise, all OK

2. I was concerned that it wouldn't be as warm as I'd like it. My folks retired to the Naples area and I thought maybe I'd like it more tropical. Wrong. I think it's great. It reminds me very much of my favorite time up north, i.e. Autumn...just great.

3. The people: Just about everyone I've met has a ready smile, and a sunny disposition. I've played a fair amount of golf as a single 4th, and I've enjoyed everyone I've played with.

4. The golf...I've played some executive courses, and a few nines (going to play my first 18 since my injury, tomorrow, if it doesn't rain too hard) of championship courses. I've enjoyed it all. Pelican is a treasure.

5. the traffic...not bad at all IMO...way better than the Naples area in wintertime. Generally pretty fine. Now that I have the swing of the roundabouts, I think they are a very efficient way to keep the traffic moving. My first day I messed up and was saved by an alert driver, but I've repayed the system a couple of times now by saving someone else. I have only had one bad experience, when a black Suburban passed me on the left while I was making a left turn, having signaled properly, I didn't cut him off, he was just an impatient jerk. Fortunately I saw it coming in the sideview and didn't turn in front of him.

6. one cooler day we drove to Fenney and walked around. Very lovely were the big center is with the trail and the water and the oaks. I don't think the area is what I'd be looking for, personally, but it is very nice.

7. I am ready for sleepy-bye much earlier than I normally am.. must be the golf, the walking and all of the fresh air.

In conclusion: nice place ya got here.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Been here about 3 weeks and I thought I'd update y'all on my experiences and impressions.
1. Driving down was OK, but South Carolina in I-95 was a parking lot. I am rehabbing a completely ruptured achilles tendon, suffered August 31 back home, on my first and what will be my only, experience on a pickleball court. Driving was OK except for the 3 hours of stop-and-go in SC...otherwise, all OK

2. I was concerned that it wouldn't be as warm as I'd like it. My folks retired to the Naples area and I thought maybe I'd like it more tropical. Wrong. I think it's great. It reminds me very much of my favorite time up north, i.e. Autumn...just great.

3. The people: Just about everyone I've met has a ready smile, and a sunny disposition. I've played a fair amount of golf as a single 4th, and I've enjoyed everyone I've played with.

4. The golf...I've played some executive courses, and a few nines (going to play my first 18 since my injury, tomorrow, if it doesn't rain too hard) of championship courses. I've enjoyed it all. Pelican is a treasure.

5. the traffic...not bad at all IMO...way better than the Naples area in wintertime. Generally pretty fine. Now that I have the swing of the roundabouts, I think they are a very efficient way to keep the traffic moving. My first day I messed up and was saved by an alert driver, but I've repayed the system a couple of times now by saving someone else. I have only had one bad experience, when a black Suburban passed me on the left while I was making a left turn, having signaled properly, I didn't cut him off, he was just an impatient jerk. Fortunately I saw it coming in the sideview and didn't turn in front of him.

6. one cooler day we drove to Fenney and walked around. Very lovely were the big center is with the trail and the water and the oaks. I don't think the area is what I'd be looking for, personally, but it is very nice.

7. I am ready for sleepy-bye much earlier than I normally am.. must be the golf, the walking and all of the fresh air.

In conclusion: nice place ya got here.
Thank you for sharing your impressions. It helps those of us who have been here awhile (for us, almost 11 years) recall and relive the wonderment and excitement when we first moved here. The good news is that for most of us the joy and zest for the lifestyle opportunities continues and there is not a day in which I'm not grateful that we made the decision to live in The Villages.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Welcome. From Upstate NY but loving the villages.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
That smile will last forever! Welcome home.
What he said welcome, welcome, welcome.
Closed Thread

Tags
years, turn, ago, ear, retired

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.