TV INTERNET PHONE - My solutions

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Default TV INTERNET PHONE - My solutions

Couldn't decide on which of the many existing posts I should post my tv / internet / phone solutions so I figured I would start a new post instead.

After the wonderful advice I got from TOTV I decided to use DIRECTV for TV, COMCAST for internet and OOMA for phone.

PHONE=OOMA
Ooma is a VOIP phone connected through the internet. I actually learned about it on TOTV and it was a perfect solution for our situation. OOMA is (usually) a very clear connection, and a much cheaper alternative if you don't add on all the bells and whistles which I did. OOMA is still cheaper and after a 1 year payback for purchasing the phone and a wireless adapter it will cost about $13/month. If you don't get premier or need any of the other special features it can cost as little as $3/ month. Ooma works perfectly for us since we will be here for 8 months of the year and back in the DC area for 4 months and can take the phone with us anywhere, so we are not just relying on AT&T wireless. We ported our old phone number, which we have had for 41 years so old friends can still find us. I have it set up so all my house phones are connected as well as a few cordless phones like a regular landline. I like being able to put my iPhone where it gets the best (if any) reception and pick up any house phone when I get a call. THere are a great many other features which can be researched at OOMA.COM.

INTERNET=COMCAST
I miss Verizon FIOS which is sooooo much faster and better. But this is the best solution for this area. We rely on the internet so we have BLAST! EXTRA which gives us 8 up, 16 down and 25 power boost. I've speed tested it and we get a little bit better than promised. FIOS was definitely faster but this is ok. We have no contract since I am still hoping something better might come along so I am paying $40/ month ($48.13 with taxes). THis says it is a promotional price but I thought that the promotional price was $30/month so I will have to check this out. THIs includes 1 std basic cable tv so we can watch local tv if desired, or just tv period if the satellite goes out in the middle of a storm. We set the std tv in our 3rd bedroom since we don't intend to watch it very often.

TV=DIRECTV
We had DISH for years in Maryland and we were pretty happy with it but DIRECTV is so much better that I am glad I tried it. THere are just so many features that I don't think anyone could ever say there is nothing they wanted to watch on TV. We tried COMCAST tv when we were here last winter to see whether we would want it when we finally moved down here. We were not impressed at all with the DVR performance, the tv performance or the interface. The only thing I liked about COMCAST was being able to use my computer to watch shows when I wanted.

DIRECTV has a great picture, a great easy to use DVR (which is how we watch most TV to avoid commercials), and wonderful features. My husband can watch two sporting events at the same time and switch back and forth without missing anything. We can access an incredible number of free movies as well as pay-for-view. We can watch anything we record in any room and even on an iPad when I get one. We have the CHOICE XTRA plan and since we are already addicted to HBO and SHOWTIME we will pay for them when the 3 month trial is over. So we are currently paying $62/month ($70 including taxes). We will have to add $31/month after 12 months for the remainder of our 2 year contract but that averages about $85/month without the HBO etc. Adding HBO etc. adds up to what we were paying for DISH alone up north. But the service is so much better that it will be hard to switch if I need return to DISH to get the costs down again.

I know this is a very long post with a great deal of information, but I promised myself I would pay back and write it all down for others since I found this forum so helpful when I was trying to decide what to do. By the way, if you decide to get DIRECTV, send me a PM since we will both get $100 off when you subscribe.
Cindy
Old 01-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

We use Comcast for internet and TV and Magic Jack for phone. All three are wonderful. Magic Jack is only $19.99 for the whole year, local and long distance any time.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrandt View Post

PHONE=OOMA
Ooma is a VOIP phone connected through the internet. I actually learned about it on TOTV and it was a perfect solution for our situation. OOMA is (usually) a very clear connection, and a much cheaper alternative if you don't add on all the bells and whistles which I did. OOMA is still cheaper and after a 1 year payback for purchasing the phone and a wireless adapter it will cost about $13/month. If you don't get premier or need any of the other special features it can cost as little as $3/ month. Ooma works perfectly for us since we will be here for 8 months of the year and back in the DC area for 4 months and can take the phone with us anywhere, so we are not just relying on AT&T wireless. We ported our old phone number, which we have had for 41 years so old friends can still find us. I have it set up so all my house phones are connected as well as a few cordless phones like a regular landline. I like being able to put my iPhone where it gets the best (if any) reception and pick up any house phone when I get a call. THere are a great many other features which can be researched at OOMA.COM.
OOMA is a great phone system. I've had it for about 2 years and worked fine until last month when lightning got it. Very clear but won't work if power goes out. Plug it in your computer battery backup. Using my username here on their site to sign up will get us both some savings. ooma.com
In reality, they're different!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Gold member

I use the new MagicJack Plus for my phone. They have kim[proved the old MagicJack so that you don't have to have it plugged into your computer anymore. Just plug it directly into your router. You can also transfer your existing phone number to it (something you couldn't do with MagicJack) Works pretty good and is really cheap.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:34 PM

Great until the promotions run out. My Comcast is the same as your, but the price has crept up to $65 with taxes. Direct TV is up to $105, with no premium services and three DVR setups. Not very happy with the price for what I actually use. Tempted to dump Direct when the contract is up, keep basic Comcast TV, and use Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu+ subscriptions for my entertainment.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 PM

After looking at all the options, the easiet solution for us was Comcast for TV/Internet w blast/Phone. Our monthly bill was shy of $150.00 including all taxes. No contract so we can shut it off when we leave for 6mos. Felt having one source for all three was worth it and have been satified w the service.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran member
Default Magic Jack?

Can anyone tell me if a Magic Jack plus can be used with the same number in Canada and the US? I can't find any CS number to call and ask. Sounds like it might be useful going back and forth if the number stays the same.

LW888
Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM
Location: TV, Vero Beach, Fl., Ft. Lauderdale, Fl., Boston, Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrandt View Post
Couldn't decide on which of the many existing posts I should post my tv / internet / phone solutions so I figured I would start a new post instead.

After the wonderful advice I got from TOTV I decided to use DIRECTV for TV, COMCAST for internet and OOMA for phone.

PHONE=OOMA

INTERNET=COMCAST
I miss Verizon FIOS which is sooooo much faster and better. But this is the best solution for this area. We rely on the internet so we have BLAST! EXTRA which gives us 8 up, 16 down and 25 power boost. I've speed tested it and we get a little bit better than promised. FIOS was definitely faster but this is ok. We have no contract since I am still hoping something better might come along so I am paying $40/ month ($48.13 with taxes). THis says it is a promotional price but I thought that the promotional price was $30/month so I will have to check this out. THIs includes 1 std basic cable tv so we can watch local tv if desired, or just tv period if the satellite goes out in the middle of a storm. We set the std tv in our 3rd bedroom since we don't intend to watch it very often.

TV=DIRECTV
We had DISH for years in Maryland and we were pretty happy with it but DIRECTV is so much better that I am glad I tried it. THere are just so many features that I don't think anyone could ever say there is nothing they wanted to watch on TV. We tried COMCAST tv when we were here last winter to see whether we would want it when we finally moved down here. We were not impressed at all with the DVR performance, the tv performance or the interface. The only thing I liked about COMCAST was being able to use my computer to watch shows when I wanted.

DIRECTV has a great picture, a great easy to use DVR (which is how we watch most TV to avoid commercials), and wonderful features. My husband can watch two sporting events at the same time and switch back and forth without missing anything. We can access an incredible number of free movies as well as pay-for-view. We can watch anything we record in any room and even on an iPad when I get one. We have the CHOICE XTRA plan and since we are already addicted to HBO and SHOWTIME we will pay for them when the 3 month trial is over. So we are currently paying $62/month ($70 including taxes). We will have to add $31/month after 12 months for the remainder of our 2 year contract but that averages about $85/month without the HBO etc. Adding HBO etc. adds up to what we were paying for DISH alone up north. But the service is so much better that it will be hard to switch if I need return to DISH to get the costs down again.

I know this is a very long post with a great deal of information, but I promised myself I would pay back and write it all down for others since I found this forum so helpful when I was trying to decide what to do. By the way, if you decide to get DIRECTV, send me a PM since we will both get $100 off when you subscribe.
Cindy
Magic Jack is the only way to go. They were $19.99 per year for many years and on Jan. 20th increased their prices to $29.99 per year ($2.50 a month). Still a real bargain vs. any other service. Sure beats me why anyone would choose another provider since you can use Magic Jack for unlimited calls throughout North America.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Default Cable Service

We are closing on our house February 28th in the Village of Sanibel. We are trying to decide between Comcast and Bright House Cable we know Comcast ? Has anyone tried Bright House Cable yet?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.