TV and other communities

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 AM
Default TV and other communities

I am a 61 year old, single, recent retiree and lifetime New Englander, looking to settle in the Central Florida area. I am planning a 3 month visit, starting in April to research my ideal retirement community.

My current research, including your wonderful Forum, and a recent 2 day visit, have made TV a solid favorite. I am currently in the process of securing a May (and perhaps June-July) rental in TV to experience the lifestyle and search for a permanent home.

However, due diligence compels me to look at other communities as well. Those I have flagged for visits include Trilogy of Orlando, On Top of The World in Ocala, Sun City Center near Sarasota, Solivita, Schalamar Creek in East Lakeland, Cypress Lakes in Lakeland and Valencia Lakes in Wimauma.

Obviously, I understand the bias asking for opinions on this forum, but would be interested in any objective opinions, good or bad, and any caveats, from those of you who may be familiar with the above communities.

I thank you in advance for your input.

Aldrich317
Old 03-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Very smart move. We explored (mostly via the internet) for four years and concluded TV was the best fit for US. We did look at several surrounding communities and many were beyond our comfortable price range. If I am not confused the biggest turn off for top of the world was that you buy your house but lease the land.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you are looking for a community where you can take a golf cart most places, The Villages is probably the only qualifying community. Soiivita is truly in the middle of nowhere. The home prices took a huge hit a few years ago. This is either good or bad. Do you mean Sun City in Ellington. It has been around since I was a kid. I believe there is some shopping and doctors accessible by golf cart, but certainly not the volume in TV. Lakeland is half way between Tampa and Orlando. That is about all it has to offer.

Coming for a month or two is very wise. I'm sure you will love it here. Most people do. One of our best vacations was to Freeport and the beloved LLBean.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 AM

If you like lots of activities and crowds, The Villages is the place for you. If you are looking for a more sedate retirement, I suggest you look elsewhere.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I would recommend spending a night in Sun City Center. That would give you two days with a realtor, and it would be your closest comparison to The Villages. And it would help you make up your mind.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:10 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
Very smart move. We explored (mostly via the internet) for four years and concluded TV was the best fit for US. We did look at several surrounding communities and many were beyond our comfortable price range. If I am not confused the biggest turn off for top of the world was that you buy your house but lease the land.
Good lord. Not owning the land under your house . 😱😱

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-22-2015, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Also, many communities have a Lifestyles type program allowing you to stay for a day or two at a very reasonable price. This is probably the best way to judge. Most places on your list are within a 2-hour drive from here.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
Regarding Top of the World - that was our biggest turn off as well and the reason we didn't even go for a visit. We did visit Solivita and also Lake Ashton which is in Lake Wales, FL. Both were very nice communities. The residents we met in Solivita were very nice and welcoming.The community itself is also nice as well as the facilities. My husband especially liked their newest fitness center and pool. The thing we didn't like was the overall location - to get groceries, etc you would have to go out of the community and I didn't feel comfortable in some of the surrounding areas. The traffic was also a turn off. On the other hand, Lake Ashton was just the opposite as far as congestion/traffic, but there was little to nothing nearby. Ironically, when we were there, we met a couple that was moving down from The Villages. The only reason they expressed for the move was that they wanted a larger, custom built house. Personally, I couldn't relate because at this stage of my life, the house is the least of my concerns, but to each his own. Good luck in your search, ADR. There are plenty of places to look at and as long as you have the time to do so, I'd say check out as many as possible, but do spend some time (at least a month if you can) in TV as there is so much to see and do here. Honestly, the other places I probably would have been bored after a week or 2.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:41 AM

My parents winter in Sun City Center (Snow Birds)and live on Cape Cod during the summer. Sun City Center is a very nice community with one large central recreation area. Prices are less than The Villages (much less on the average) and the amenities are less lavish.

From what I have seen and heard from my parents is that the majority of the residents are snow birds and so it seems to get lonely after May rolls around and doesn't get energized until the end of Dec. My parents love it and have close friends from the Boston area two houses away. (Quality of life always seems to be all about having friends nearby)

On the other hand I have two uncles and aunts who retired to the Villages as year round residents 25 years ago and it turned out to be perfect for them also.

Whatever you choose I am sure it will perfect for you. Please share the results of your homework as I am still doing mine.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Platinum member

as a single, I find The Villages offers opportunities for social activities like no other. The number of clubs here far out numbers any you will find anywhere. It is so easy to find things to do. I originally thought I'd move to Sun City near Sarasota but when I drove around there I saw no one out doing anything. You definitely will get more in the way of a house in the other areas, but the lifestyle can not compare.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:39 AM
Veteran member

We crossed off the list top of the world too because you lease the land and buy the house, that didn't sit to well with us. We love the villages for the different activities that they have. We don't golf but with so many things to do here we enjoy ourselves .
Old 03-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The OP wrote his post in Dec. I maybe wrong but question whether he is still viewing his own thread?
Old 03-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It showed up today as a new post. I didn't even look at the date.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The OP wrote his post in Dec. I maybe wrong but question whether he is still viewing his own thread?

Hmmm it's currently showing as 4 hours old
Old 03-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The OP wrote his post in Dec. I may be wrong but question whether he is still viewing his own thread?
Actually, the December 2014 date that you noticed is the month the OP created an account on TOTV.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.