TV and other communities

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The OP wrote this post in Dec 2014 that's my story and I am sticking to it
Sorry folks don't know my left from my right.

OP you will find a good number of people who will tell you that they would not have moved to Florida BUT FOR The Villages and my wife would be the first

good luck on your search
Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 AM

You will love TV, as most of us do. The only thing I would mention is the time you are coming to visit is one of the slower times of the year. During the winter months, the population increases quite a lot. I was told it doubles-doubt that, but a lot. I really wish someone had told me that before we moved so I would have been prepared. Our agent told us that population would increase "a little" during Dec. and Jan. We found that it increases in Oct-April. Still would have moved though, but just wish we had known.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
Good lord. Not owning the land under your house . ����
This is not uncommon, particularly in mobile home parks and some communities with pre-fab homes.

Last edited by Bonanza; 03-24-2015 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

My neighbor here in River Wilderness that owns his home and spends 6 months here in Florida, the other months in CT. He told me that his cost of ownership(no rentals) runs him about $8,000. a year everything included. (non homestead).BUT, he left out the$270,000 that he had to pay for the house! So what is more cost effective at 68 years young? We can rent in Florida for less than $15,000 a season....
Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 PM

About five years ago Sun City had to close one of about six 18 hole golf courses. How wd you like to have purchased a home on the golf course which is now a pasture? Why did they close it? Every year the average age in sun city increases due to the fact that younger
Retirerees are not buying there. Demand for golf decreasing.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

Love the change of season in TV. Yes it get cool in winter but love the crisp air. There seems to always be a breeze here as well.

Guess I am bias....enjoy the active social life. The beauty of TV puts a smile on my face.....everyday!
Old 03-23-2015, 07:36 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
About five years ago Sun City had to close one of about six 18 hole golf courses. How wd you like to have purchased a home on the golf course which is now a pasture? Why did they close it? Every year the average age in sun city increases due to the fact that younger
The problem in a lot of built out retirement communities is that over time the community's average/median age increases. As they age folks tend not to use the golf courses, tennis courts, swimming pools, softball fields and the like as much as they did when they were younger. They do not care much about updating or even supporting them or the clubhouses and recreations centers. Things tend to go downhill.

If younger folks buy into these communities they want to update the facilities which costs money. The young-old become pitted against the old-old who do not want to spend the money to update or even have their property taxes increase because their homes become more valuable as a result of community improvements.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-23-2015, 07:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The problem in a lot of built out retirement communities is that over time the community's average/median age increases. As they age folks tend not to use the golf courses, tennis courts, swimming pools, softball fields and the like as much as they did when they were younger. They do not care much about updating or even supporting them or the clubhouses and recreations centers. Things tend to go downhill.

If younger folks buy into these communities they want to update the facilities which costs money. The young-old become pitted against the old-old who do not want to spend the money to update or even have their property taxes increase because their homes become more valuable as a result of community improvements.
Can you name a few where that happened.? Sounds plausible but Perhaps too plausible.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricthemic View Post
In Bluffton, SC ! Just outside of Hilton Head and in fact on Hilton Head, the very same thing happened but it had nothing to do with age but one because of bad management and the other because there were just too many golf courses for a sport that seems tobe declining. A lot of golf courses are struggling, even in my hometown.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.