tv reception

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Gold member
Default tv reception

It will be awhile between our arrival and the truck getting here, so we are thinking about getting a little tv to hold us over. Can you get any channels without cable or satellite?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydoc View Post
It will be awhile between our arrival and the truck getting here, so we are thinking about getting a little tv to hold us over. Can you get any channels without cable or satellite?
We have Comcast, but hooked up the coax for a new 24" LCD TV to the cable outlet in the kitchen using no cable box...just directly into the cable in the wall. Allow the TV to scan for channels. You will probably have to go into your Menu Settings for this, or if it is a new TV you will be given this option during setup. We get 6 HD channels without a HD box or ANY box. 4 of these channels are the local ones in Orlando (ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX). We also get 3 DT channels, whatever those are. Those and 2 Orlando weather channels appear to come in, in HD. We get many other channels on this TV but not all of the many, many that we get using the cable box on our other two TVs. The picture on the HD and DT channels is VERY good, not so clear on the other channels. Hope this helps. I am not sure by your post if you will have cable service when you first arrive or not? If not, I am not sure just what, if any channels you will be able to get. It might be worth it to get your cable or satellite service in place ASAP so you can at least get those channels I mentioned above.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Gold member

Thanks for the info. We are so confused about what tv/internet/phone to sign up for! Love directtv, but friends say the satellite goes out all the time when it is stormy. So many folks have complained about comcast...keep going around in circles in my head about what to do. I am so tired of making decisions right now...pack it? Toss it? Donate it? We are leaving on Thursday and are still doing last minute packing. I never want to see another box I have to pack again for the rest of my life. I told hubby about the moving three times in TV and he said NO WAY. I agree...the garage might be a bit small and the driveway is curved, but we love our house and will make it work no matter what. Thats what is keeping me going right now...one week from tonight we will be THERE!!!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Sage

I have Dish TV and it's only gone off twice in nearly 2 years, at least when I was watching. Both times during really heavy storms
Old 07-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

ladydoc

To answer your direct question about being able to receive TV stations without cable or satellitte......I tried this when we first bought and nnot occupying our TV home on a full time basis. I tried using rabbit ears and teh reception was worst than bad. YOu may get a fairly clear channel at 3 or 4 in the morning but that was it.

Better alternative is to get the basic cable from comcast that offers all the main channels plus some others (about 12 in total) and I think the current price is approx $15 a month. If you have a new home,you will have to pay an set up or installation charge for comcast to connect the room cables in your outside box.....tbut then at least you can watch some TV while you finally make up your mind without breaking the bank.

We have had no problems with Comcast (TV or intenet) and having Comcast internet up north required them to merge my email files from different servers and they were very helpful.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginians View Post
Ok it's time to come out of the closet. We use a Winegard MS 2000
Round Omnidirectional Television Antenna.

The Villages Florida

This antenna is smaller than a dish and does not need to be rotated. We receive all major networks in HD much clearer than cable or dish. NBC is not always reliable yet. The photo is not of our TV house but very similar.

We also use a DVR sold by Dish network for OTA signals. No monthly fees like TiVo.

Are we the only ones?
This is from

I know television antennas are not allowed, but how about........
go to #19
Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 AM

NBC has been changed to channel 70 and now comes in good.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:39 AM

I have Directv, have never lost service for any period of time here. May have flickered a few times in the heaviest of rains, but never lost service.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 AM

When the cable co's turn off service at a particular address all they do is a software shut off. They do not physically disconnect the wiring at the pole or switchbox. Basic cable should still be working in every home still connected to the network whether the service is "turned on" or not. So if you plug in your tv to the outlet I'm willing to bet you'll get the basics.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G
Default TV reception

Quote:
Try Century Link, they now have TV (not sat), telephone and internet bundles or separate. Go to Century Link on line and look at the Prism TV, better than Comcast and cheaper. They also have an office/store in front of Target.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
i would like to find out if we could just usu a tv antemma just for the local stationw
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.