Is TV's getting too big?

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2018, 06:50 AM
Sage
Default Is TV's getting too big?

Just looked at the populations of cities in Fl, the TV's will,IMHO most likely be in the top 10,population wise, in a few years!!!
Old 08-17-2018, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Just looked at the populations of cities in Fl, the TV's will most likely be in the top 10 in a few years-rivaling Dt.Pete & Tampa !!!
Ten years is a long time for most of us. A goodly share of us may be living in the Village of Heavenly or in that extreme sauna.

I say about how things are in The Villages;

So far, so good.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There are pluses and minuses to population size.

There will be more crime, probably, and congestion, especially during high season but...

An increased population brings us the businesses we long for and will perhaps attract other perks such as more doctors to choose from, more everything to choose from.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ten years is a long time for most of us. A goodly share of us may be living in the Village of Heavenly or in that extreme sauna.

I say about how things are in The Villages;

So far, so good.
Hear hear, Gracie. Most places where life is good grow. Look at any booming city. They grow because people want to live there. We are in a place that is great to live in. It will grow.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We, personally, LOVE the growth. The upside surely outweighs the down.

- the more the merrier (certainly a huge draw for new retirees)
- more eateries, stores, medical etc to choose from
- (hopefully) wider/new roads and more multi-modals
- more events, recreational, and shows

Saw the new Developer brochure detailing expansion over the next couple years in the south areas - spectacular. Fenney was simply a small beginning.

We moved into Gilchrist 4 years ago, between 466a and 44. Heard about 'the buildout', and assumed we would be on the Southside of TV. In 3-8 years, will be smack in the middle.

Life and TV growth goes on. and on.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

The way TV is designed with golf courses, mail, pools, shopping, etc, etc.......most of the daily living is done within a fairly small measure from where one's home is located.

So how big TV gets from that perspective has little if any effect on one's days.

Yes there is more traffic...sometimes waits at restaurants (I say sometimes because it depends if one has to go at peak times........then we have to wait at almost any restaurant worth going to/anywhere).

Probably the biggest issue is traffic.....the age of the drivers.....the impatience of the elderly (always in a hurry to get where they are going).

As was stated above the growth has brought to TV the many entities that would not give us a second look if we were still at 35,000 population.

No matter the size......the lifestyle here is much, MUCH better than where most of us spent our work-a-day years....and of course no winter (except January).

We loved it when we built our home in 2004 with 35,000 population. And we love it no less now at some where above 100,000.......and all the businesses that have located here because of the size.

I would venture a guess that more than 90% feel the same way!!!
Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 AM

I think that the way TV is all spread out, it won't ever be as bad as a large city. Anytime that you're feeling crowded, go on down to Orlando and cruise I-4. That'll put things in perspective for you.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Gold member

I think billethkid hit the nail on the head. We seldom travel to Brownwood (maybe a couple times a year), as it is way too far for us to go by golf cart, and I really don't want to travel by car 20-25 minutes through a baker's dozen roundabouts to get there. I think that some of the Southern Villagers probably feel much the same about the North. The one big problem I see is Morse Blvd, only two lanes, and when a person from the South needs to go to the hospital, they don't have a lot of choice on the route. Plus our shopping here in the North is more mature, with Target and other offerings not yet available in the South, so people are driving up here. The traffic on Morse is aggravating right now, and obviously gets worse in season. I really wish the family would consider spending some of their billions on a major upgrade to Morse from 466 to 27/441, but I believe that's a pipe dream. But other than that, I have nothing to complain about here. Nobody I know can name a better place to retire.

Last edited by collie1228; 08-18-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The way TV is designed with golf courses, mail, pools, shopping, etc, etc.......most of the daily living is done within a fairly small measure from where one's home is located.

So how big TV gets from that perspective has little if any effect on one's days.

Yes there is more traffic...sometimes waits at restaurants (I say sometimes because it depends if one has to go at peak times........then we have to wait at almost any restaurant worth going to/anywhere).

Probably the biggest issue is traffic.....the age of the drivers.....the impatience of the elderly (always in a hurry to get where they are going).

As was stated above the growth has brought to TV the many entities that would not give us a second look if we were still at 35,000 population.

No matter the size......the lifestyle here is much, MUCH better than where most of us spent our work-a-day years....and of course no winter (except January).

We loved it when we built our home in 2004 with 35,000 population. And we love it no less now at some where above 100,000.......and all the businesses that have located here because of the size.

I would venture a guess that more than 90% feel the same way!!!
I just checked with everyone.............it's 99.4%.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There are pluses and minuses to population size.

There will be more crime, probably, and congestion, especially during high season but...

An increased population brings us the businesses we long for and will perhaps attract other perks such as more doctors to choose from, more everything to choose from.
I agree with you. It seems that if there is no growth, it becomes stagnant, which does not attract more of everything that you mentioned. The Villages may no longer have a “homey” feel overall, but in the area in which I live and shop, it does feel that way.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

As long as championship golf courses and sports pools are built along with more homes to keep the ratios constant I have no problem with the growth.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Gold member

The more they build in the south mean the homes further north will be more desirable. Less crowded up there.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I don't think TV can get too big. Most of the people I know stay pretty much close to home, close to the stores they are used to, use the Rec Centers and pools they are used to. I rarely travel south for anything. I am used to where I live and shopping where I shop, and eating out where I eat out now. I am sure the new TVers will do the same, find their comfort zone and live within that.

I should, though, add that I am central to SS/441/LSL so I have a good selection of activities and stores in my zone. I have no need to travel for anything.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I don't think TV can get too big. Most of the people I know stay pretty much close to home, close to the stores they are used to, use the Rec Centers and pools they are used to. I rarely travel south for anything. I am used to where I live and shopping where I shop, and eating out where I eat out now. I am sure the new TVers will do the same, find their comfort zone and live within that.

I should, though, add that I am central to SS/441/LSL so I have a good selection of activities and stores in my zone. I have no need to travel for anything.
What she said.
:-)
Old 08-17-2018, 03:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I agree with you. It seems that if there is no growth, it becomes stagnant, which does not attract more of everything that you mentioned. The Villages may no longer have a “homey” feel overall, but in the area in which I live and shop, it does feel that way.
Excellent point . I live close to Brownwood and everything I typically use or need is located within about 3 miles of my
home .

It's great to have the Villages amenities and features all around as a barrier to the " real " world . I was in Spanish Springs recently and realized that it was the first visit there in about 2 years .
Just returned from a 2 week trip up North to visit family and friends . It was great , much that I miss . However I was happy to return , especially with every conversation eventually turning to the fact that it would be soon time to get prepared for Winter !

Last edited by Buffalo Jim; 08-17-2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: grammar
Closed Thread

Tags
tvs, top, tampa, dt.pete, years-rivaling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.