Type of available enclosures

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2019, 10:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
My goal is to have sliders with sliding screens on both the fixed and the sliding side of each set of doors..
It sounds like you want sliding screens so that the windows can be cleaned on both sides without taking the windows out of their tracks.

I don't think screens that slide in tracks the way windows do will work because there will be too many spaces for bugs to get through. At night it might not be noticeable to people but indoor light would turn the little spaces in the tracks into beacons for the bugs outside.

Maybe screens like the ones they put on windows would work but those are taken out, they don't slide.

You might want to check with one of many places that does lanai enclosures to see if this is possible.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Following.

We have talked to Custom Windows and Elite Lifestyles Florida so far.
Hi Gracie, have you made a decision which contractor you are selecting. Can you tell me the reasons and if you called Seniors vs. Crime. Thank you
Old 05-28-2019, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
I have full length sliders that slide open and give you a 66% open. We used Custom Windows in Leesburg off 441 and had them installed 5 years ago. Best thing we ever did. Cuts down on dirt and dust and protects furniture from rain. We got the heavier screen wrap that does not interfere with your view but cuts down on sun and heat where we are west facing. They have a showroom and I think they are still open on Sat mornings.
I agree
Old 06-03-2019, 10:38 AM

T&D just finished our lanai,We have a low insulated wall with 4ft10in double pane sliding windows with 3/4 space between glass. The outside was made to match the house. we did not raise the floor but but insulated ceiling to R38
I have an Iris model built in 2012 that was only insulated to R30 so brought that up to R38 also. The open windows have screens. We have not closed the doors into the Lanai since finished and temp has stayed within 2 degrees of the house.
We back up to Hillsborough trail and do not hear the traffic. We are very happy with T&D! We also had Solar Guys put the tinted film on the windows.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Gold member

I thought if you enclosed a lanai and made it "living" space, the floor had to be raised to the level of the house.
Maybe building codes are different in Sumter Co.?
Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Sage

We had double paned glass in NC, for my wife's indoor pool-way too HEAVY, here, we used CVS for stacked vinyl windows-works great, use Sabrina to clean them whenever its needed--but, we really never use the lanai--the only creature in our house who uses our lanai is the cat
Old 06-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

We are having All Season Rooms do ours the day after tomorrow. The lanai is 15 x 30 with one end being a bedroom wall so no glass on the 3rd side. We are using argon filled insulated glass with a lifetime transferrable warranty which is great for re-sale. The configuration is for each 15' section on the front of the lanai there will be 4 panels, the two outer panels will be fixed and the two in the center will slide open with sliding screens so they can be used as exits if we choose to do so. The 15' side wall will be made of two 2 panel doors that will slide open from both ends with sliding screens and the center two panels will be fixed. This configuration will allow us to easily clean the outside of the glass without removing any of the panels, will give us 50% of the airflow that we currently have without the panels and the ceiling will be insulated to help a little. I'm not concerned about insects coming in if the screens don't seal tightly with the lights on after dark as if that becomes a problem we will simply close the doors when the sun goes down, we don't plan on making this an extension of our living area, it will continue to be used as a combination lanai/sun room. The main reason we are doing this is so we can use it when it's raining and when it's cold outside along with not having to clean it so often especially in pollen season.

Last edited by vintageogauge; 06-03-2019 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:39 AM

If you do not raise the floor and add an air unit and remove the doors it does not affect your taxes. You can remove the doors but not remove the frames it will not change your taxes.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:53 AM

We turned our lanai into an actual room off of our living room.
Since our lanai was originally totally under roof, we just continued with the block and stucco, put in good quality doors and windows, etc.

We are very happy we did the construction this way and you would never know this "room" was an add-on.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
IMHO enclosed glass is best.
Area can be heated when cool. and A/C when hot. Makes anothe large room to house.
"Things that fly and crawl" eventually find a way to get in mesh screens, including of course water on a regular basis when it rains.
I enjoy our outdoor space although we do not use it in the really hot months. I grill all year round on our lanai under the roof, even when it rains and I stay dry, Our lanai is screened but not enclosed in any way. I prefer it this way. I have plenty of space in our home under air.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I enjoy our outdoor space although we do not use it in the really hot months. I grill all year round on our lanai under the roof, even when it rains and I stay dry, Our lanai is screened but not enclosed in any way. I prefer it this way. I have plenty of space in our home under air.
what you have is a typical screened lanai that I find hard to believe does not get wet all year round even when it rains. There are those of us that choose to be able to use our lanais in other ways and that is what this topic is about, glass enclosures.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage

Job is complete, one part came in wrong that was not the fault of All Season Rooms, it arrived, installation complete, window washers came this morning followed by the inspector. They build a nice solid enclosure, everything works smoothly, very nice fit, no wind, no noise, and it looks great. I would use them again if ever needed.
Closed Thread

Tags
air, fresh, appreciated, screens, sliding

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.