Construction Quality In TV

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Default Construction Quality In TV

We're visiting from upstate New York, at the beginning of next month, and are going to be working with a realtor, looking at houses. Most likely the designer series. I'm curious about construction quality in TV. How would you describe the workmanship of the newer homes, etc? Thanks.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default my suggestion

There are plenty of new homes being built take a ride thru the Southern end closer to 466A bonita,duval,hemmingway areas. The designer block construction, footings,rebar, huricane straps,roof truses,osb board on roofs, 200amp service, pecks plumbing,electric hot water heaters,alumimum energy windows and sliding doors. plumbing is in the ground under vapor barrier. Houses are fine the LIFESTYLE CAN NOT BE BEAT...Have fun, look around, enjoy and have fun.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Veteran member

We have a Lantana. My son owns a construction company up north and visited when our home was being built. He went through it with a fine tooth comb and said the construction was very good. We've been here a year and haven't had any major issues with the house. We recently had it independently inspected and the "punch" list had a few minor problems but nothing major.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:40 PM

Our Villa (cement) in Duval is excellent. ...I have not found one problem with anything...it is two years old..not one thing has gone wrong...this house is built to last. Not to mention it is basically sound-proof and stays cool because of the cement. We just love it.

Come enjoy.... TV.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Platinum member

actor:

This may or may not answer your question, considering how long ago my home was built.

My Gardenia (block & stucco) is now 4-1/2 years old. When it was built in late 2004, there were 8 or 10 home builders working feverishly all over TV. When it took all of 90 days (that's right, 90 days) to go from staking out the floor plan to move-in ready, I must admit to having been concerned about quality.

Since then, I have found only a couple of minor problems. I am totally satisfied.

That said, you should be aware that there was a prolonged problem in 2006-2008 or so about the quality of siding installation. I think there was only one or two builders involved and I doubt that they work for The Villages any more.

I have never heard anyone complain of the quality of construction in TV. Some think that some houses have lesser quality materials in them, but I cannot speak to that issue.

SWR
Old 09-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Gold member

We just had an inspection before our 1-year warranty expires. The inspector found mostly very minor cracks in the grout and caulking - all related to normal settling. The cracks were so minor that I never saw them, nor would I probably bother to have them repaired under warranty. However, the inspection report will go to the warranty department and the inspector said that they will certainly send someone out to repair them. He also found something that may be wrong with the AC compressor, but that is not really a function of the builder. He did say that the AC units that they use are considered good quality Carrier and Trane, I believe.

My only complaint is the use of GE appliances. Whoever designed the GE dishwasher has most likely never loaded dishes into a dishwasher. Nothing fits well. Plus, the dishes don't get as clean as they should. I am hoping that it breaks soon so we can replace it (I'm too cheap to throw out an appliance in working order.)
Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actor View Post
We're visiting from upstate New York, at the beginning of next month, and are going to be working with a realtor, looking at houses. Most likely the designer series. I'm curious about construction quality in TV. How would you describe the workmanship of the newer homes, etc? Thanks.
I would say quality of construction is excellent. However in our 4 year old Gardenia the only problem we have had is with the appliances. We have replaced the dishwasher and the clothes dryer.

jeffy
Old 09-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Default Thanks for responding

It's good to know that the quality and workmanship of the homes is as advertised.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:24 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
My only complaint is the use of GE appliances. Whoever designed the GE dishwasher has most likely never loaded dishes into a dishwasher. Nothing fits well. Plus, the dishes don't get as clean as they should. I am hoping that it breaks soon so we can replace it (I'm too cheap to throw out an appliance in working order.)
My sentiments completely. The dish washer is "okay" but I've been hoping for a breakdown to justify getting a new one. Looks like the Inglorious Basterd is going to outlive me. Similarly, I wouldn't have cried too much if the frig had gone out and I could have justified buying a spiffy new one with all that neat stuff. The appliances that came with the house (no choices at all in a ranch in '05) are really more than adequate, but one can watch only so many commercials without developing a little crushed ice envy. But I guess most of it today, esp on Designers, is pick-your-own or definite upgrades.

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 09-26-2009, 10:26 AM
Smile Workmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by actor View Post
Our house was built in 1999 and we've never had anything but a very few minor problems. We've lived in Florida for 20+ years and the only thing I would say is DO NOT buy a house with vinyl or aluminum siding. In south Florida they would be in a landfill after a 'cane and here they seem to generate constant complaints. Pay a little more and get a cbs home. (SU '68) You will love living in The Villages.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Veteran member
Default 4 years no problem

We own a Lantana. We moved in almost 4 years ago and have not had one problem
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 AM

We closed in Jan '06 so I figure our house (Gardenia) was built in '05. Initially there were a few very minor problems, but I think the overall construction is great. What I especially love is when we have guests stay in our guest room we do not hear them and they do not hear us. Also when all our windows are closed we cannot hear anything outside. I think this says a lot for the quality construction.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:53 PM
Default dryer vent

We purchased a resale built in '07 and after the home inspection were advised that the vent for the dryer was not code. I am thinking that the thing on the roof was not proper. It was still under warranty and we were led to believe that the villages fixed it. Other than that everything looks great according to our home inspector.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommullr View Post
We purchased a resale built in '07 and after the home inspection were advised that the vent for the dryer was not code. I am thinking that the thing on the roof was not proper. It was still under warranty and we were led to believe that the villages fixed it. Other than that everything looks great according to our home inspector.
We bought 2002 resale with a clogged dryer vent on the roof. Can you be more specific regarding what was is and is not code?
Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Sage

We've been here about 3 years and just had our dryer vent cleaned out last week.... using binocs, I could see lint hanging out of the end of the vent on the roof.

Recommend Desmond Harris, Covenant Janitorial, to do the job. Cost $50 352-308-7457

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.