» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 03:53 PM

So who is a good company here in the Villages if you need a ride? How much notice or planning does it take to get a ride?

Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N44125 View Post
I've noticed on the Uber app that there are more Uber cars showing in TV. Has anyone actually utilized them? Comment on service?
I used Uber 2 days ago here in The Villages!
So glad Uber is here!
I went from Buttonwood to SpanishSprings, $21.00, not cheap.
The same $21 I had paid in taxi a few months back.
Paul, my driver, was pleasant, punctual and informative.
He said as of January 8, the day I used Uber, there were 7 Uber drivers in TheVillages. I told him Uber needed to advertise more he agreed.
My Uber driver, Paul, is a Villager himself, doing it for the social aspect, gets him outta the house. ( and surely the extra income can not hurt )
I think that as more Uber drivers become available here, the prices, I hope, will go down. But I still love Uber, fast, friendly, convenient.
I have used it in Miami and Atlanta and now in TheVillages!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2017, 05:37 PM

Location: Buffalo,Erie,Lynn,Hickory,Louisville,Charleston,Schenectady,Marblehead MA, TV Caroline

And I wonder about the professionally inspected and insured taxi's in this area. Who controls that?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Sage

No inspections in Florida for personal cars, so no idea about 'professional or corporate' cars, and I have never seen an inspection station. I did see somewhere the requirements for an Uber driver, as I recall (and I may be wrong), a newer vehicle (less then 5 years old?), 4 doors, clean driving record, etc. My insurance policy specific limits coverage IF the vehicle is being used for business purposes.
As for tips, I was under the impression that these were INCLUDED in the fee, so there was no cash involved at all.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
No inspections in Florida for personal cars, so no idea about 'professional or corporate' cars, and I have never seen an inspection station. I did see somewhere the requirements for an Uber driver, as I recall (and I may be wrong), a newer vehicle (less then 5 years old?), 4 doors, clean driving record, etc. My insurance policy specific limits coverage IF the vehicle is being used for business purposes.
As for tips, I was under the impression that these were INCLUDED in the fee, so there was no cash involved at all.
It was no cash needed, but recently tip is no longer included. Used them this weekend in Chicago. Saved $65 each way to and from airport, compared to taxi, and shuttle service. Fares change, depending on time of day. If you add app to your phone you can check cost at different times of the day. We saved $30 by leaving 1 hour later on trip to the city. All drivers were friendly and good drivers. Clean cars ( 2 Cadillacs and a highlander) It only takes one complaint and uber is on it. Felt much safer than the last taxi ride in Chicago.
You can go online to uber to see how drivers are paid and how it works.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:24 PM

Hey all. Tips were never really included in Uber. They had a class-action lawsuit Uber Settlement Could Provide More Clarity About Tipping Drivers - ABC News

I also never tipped as I thought it was included but i was wrong. It was a game changer for me as the reason I used Uber was because I thought tip (and everything else) was included.

I looked a couple days ago and an Uber trip for the bottom of TV to the top is over 32$ and TV taxi is 24$... both do not include a tip. You can download the Uber app and check prices without buying anything.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chipster View Post
My wife and I travel heavily, both domestically and internationally. We use Uber almost everywhere we go due to the convenience, friendly drivers, much nicer cars, and major discounts compared to traditional cabs. No cash is required after the ride, no tipping, and all drivers get reviewed by their riders which is easily seen online. This is a real displacement technology and we are surprised it is not used a lot in The Villages. It is also a great opportunity for folks here that need some part-time work.

You are absolutely INCORRECT regarding tipping for Uber drivers. Just because Uber advertises that it is "cashless" does not mean you shouldn't tip!! There are many articles on the internet that list not tipping something that passengers do to Uber drivers that is not appreciated by the drivers. Rating 4 stars for a good ride is another.

Do you also realize that the rating system is a 2 way street? I personally know several Uber drivers and many of them will not pick up riders with lower ratings, and they also give riders a low rating for not tipping.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Sage

Thank you for correcting me on the tips, I have not used uber yet, so I will check them out before first use.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Gold member

Uber provides the insurance when you have a customer in your car. I have used them a couple of times (not here). Good experience and relatively new, clean cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post

Last edited by biker1; 01-11-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y5clm View Post
So who is a good company here in the Villages if you need a ride? How much notice or planning does it take to get a ride?
I use The Villages Transportation taxi. I have called short notice and pre arranged. Always a delight!!
Closed Thread

Tags
uber, utilized, comment, showing, service