The Ultimate Menorah

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2017, 08:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
No, they had 4 lights PLUS shamos which was wrong. I never count the shamos.

That being said I visited the Tamarind location tonight and unfortunately it must be seen during the day since the lights on it were very dim and the house was very dark however it was quite a moving display. Sort of Reminded me of the Korean memorial in DC. I noticed each "candle" was a separate piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which house is it? I drive Newburn every day and have never noticed it.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Was riding thru Tamarind Grove and saw a menorah in the driveway on Newburn Lane-- the homeowner , told me it weighs 1000 lbs and is a tribute to the WWll allied soldiers who ended the holocaust--remarkable
I went to the UTube site. Thank you for posting this, a wonderful story of some very brave men who changed the world for us all.

Some years ago we belonged to a golf club which was very friendly and everyone knew everyone. A back slapping type of club. There was one man who used to sit up at the bar on his own and rarely spoke. One night he told my husband and me that at 18yrs old he was in the group that drove through the gates of Auschwitz Concentration Camp as part of the liberation of the camp and he had never been able to forget the people that met them. It had been a continual nightmare for him.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 12-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I went to the UTube site. Thank you for posting this, a wonderful story of some very brave men who changed the world for us all.

Some years ago we belonged to a golf club which was very friendly and everyone knew everyone. A back slapping type of club. There was one man who used to sit up at the bar on his own and rarely spoke. One night he told my husband and me that at 18yrs old he was in the group that drove through the gates of Auschwitz Concentration Camp as part of the liberation of the camp and he had never been able to forget the people that met them. It had been a continual nightmare for him.
How sad. Today they have a name for that--PTSD.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

At least he lived to tell the story
Old 12-15-2017, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Which house is it? I drive Newburn every day and have never noticed it.

I Didn't write down the number but if you look for it you won't miss it. Doesn't really look like a menorah as you might expect (especially at night) but if you drive slowly you'll see it. We drove past it twice. Just look for the bronze military helmets with boots below it. It was on the left side of the street against the house. At night with their house lights off its not easy to realize what it is since it is dark bronze. They use very dim lights.

"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:

I went to the UTube site too. They should lend this to the Eisenhower Recreational Center so more people could see it. The Korean War Memorial in DC has quite an impact when you see it in person especially when you see it surrounded by what looked like Japanese tourists with umbrellas in the rain. It is kind of a tactile experience even if you are not touching the sculptures.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
4 lights is correct 3 + the shames candle
Interesting observance in SS square last night. 4 plus the shamas were lit and someone knew better and turned one off. After that someone decided all should be on - well that was quite amusing. But now for I question I have. Tradition I believe is to light candles from right to left however a menorah is meant to be a public display and usually placed in a window. Thus the public would view the lit candles from left to right. In the SS square the menorah is against the stage. The candles are being lit right to left but we are the audience facing the stage. Should not the lighting be from left to right in this situation such that we view the lit candles left to right ?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Interesting observance in SS square last night. 4 plus the shamas were lit and someone knew better and turned one off. After that someone decided all should be on - well that was quite amusing. But now for I question I have. Tradition I believe is to light candles from right to left however a menorah is meant to be a public display and usually placed in a window. Thus the public would view the lit candles from left to right. In the SS square the menorah is against the stage. The candles are being lit right to left but we are the audience facing the stage. Should not the lighting be from left to right in this situation such that we view the lit candles left to right ?
I don't know but I think the general overall affect is important, and I hope that the observance of the lighting of the Menorrah brought joy to all who were involved. I spelled that wrong too. It is underlined. I didn't learn how to spell Menorrah and Hanukkah. But Thank God I have patient Jewish friends. May they all light their candles in peace and love.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Since LSL and Spanish springs were both wrong I guess they were just misinformed. As far as how they are lit it is right to left. Not sure how it is displayed outdoors matters because it is not in a home in a window.

"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

The important thing to remember is the REASON for Hannukah. It celebrates victory over an oppressive regime which restored Freedom to a people. Freedom to live as they choose and to freely worship G-d. Something this patriotic community we call The Villages also holds dear. May the Lights of Hannukah uplift you and give you peace.

Tags
menorah, lbs, holocaust--remarkable, weighs, tribute

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.