Unbelievable - AAC vote on Hacienda

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2020, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Of course they will get what they want. They control local government. So much for a system of checks and balances.
Hopefully next week that will not be the case in Sumter county.

Than again what would stop them from buying any new commissioners?
Old 08-12-2020, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

Looks like the camel is now almost fully in the tent. First a whisker (never completing a grill and bar room at Glenview Tennis Club, now an investment planner's office) then a nose (conversion of Silver Lake restaurant to a pool hall), then a foot (conversion of Chula Vista Country Club to a pool hall and a couple of meeting rooms), then another foot (El Santiago Country Club" sold but had to be torn down) then another foot (conversion of Terra Del Sol Country Club into a "theater toy" for "family members"), and the fourth foot (modification and eventual closing of Katie Belle's), now conversion of a country club (and maybe possibly part of a golf course) into apartments. What comes next?: All country clubs go, championship courses converted to more apartments, villas, homes, etc. By then the whole herd of camels is in the tent and we will be outside looking in. And maybe eventually Spanish Springs is torn down to be replace by a Costco, now the whole herd is reproducing!!

It is a shame that approval of such a significant change to an existing residential neighborhood area is allowed to proceed in less time than than it took to remove a few useless speed bumps on the golf cart paths or the in depth studies and engineering surveys done to stripe and reflectorize the cart paths. Of course, I am sure a few votes from current lame duck representatives played into the necessary speed of it. Now, just think what will happen in Sumter County as a whole if the Developer's apparent minions are voted out in the primaries.

The threat to put up a "big parking structure" to me is a joke unless there is a big nearby building to utilize it; and such a building, I would think, would require significant rezoning from recreational or residential use to commercial use.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Looks like the camel is now almost fully in the tent. First a whisker (never completing a grill and bar room at Glenview Tennis Club, now an investment planner's office) then a nose (conversion of Silver Lake restaurant to a pool hall), then a foot (conversion of Chula Vista Country Club to a pool hall and a couple of meeting rooms), then another foot (El Santiago Country Club" sold but had to be torn down) then another foot (conversion of Terra Del Sol Country Club into a "theater toy" for "family members"), and the fourth foot (modification and eventual closing of Katie Belle's), now conversion of a country club (and maybe possibly part of a golf course) into apartments. What comes next?: All country clubs go, championship courses converted to more apartments, villas, homes, etc. By then the whole herd of camels is in the tent and we will be outside looking in. And maybe eventually Spanish Springs is torn down to be replace by a Costco, now the whole herd is reproducing!!

It is a shame that approval of such a significant change to an existing residential neighborhood area is allowed to proceed in less time than than it took to remove a few useless speed bumps on the golf cart paths or the in depth studies and engineering surveys done to stripe and reflectorize the cart paths. Of course, I am sure a few votes from current lame duck representatives played into the necessary speed of it. Now, just think what will happen in Sumter County as a whole if the Developer's apparent minions are voted out in the primaries.

The threat to put up a "big parking structure" to me is a joke unless there is a big nearby building to utilize it; and such a building, I would think, would require significant rezoning from recreational or residential use to commercial use.
Wow, talking about misinformation unrelated facts combined and speculative truth....all in one post. Well done.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-12-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
AAC voted 4-1 for the apartments at Hacienda.
The most infuriating part is this:
"It was clear that the Developer had vowed to put a parking garage or big box retailer at the Hacienda Hills site if the AAC did not go along with the apartment complex."
Who would park there, and for what reason? Then walk for a mile to get somewhere. I doubt a parking garage was a legitimate concern.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:50 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

There are people who love The Villages but they don't want to (or can't) deal with the maintenance of a house anymore. An apartment is a great solution for them.

Katie Bell's just closed... why would they want to build another restaurant so people can order a water with lemon and listen to entertainment all night?

The Developer owns the land. If they didn't get what they want they could pave it over and make a big parking lot... or put in some landscaping and call it a day.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
There are people who love The Villages but they don't want to (or can't) deal with the maintenance of a house anymore. An apartment is a great solution for them.

Katie Bell's just closed... why would they want to build another restaurant so people can order a water with lemon and listen to entertainment all night?

The Developer owns the land. If they didn't get what they want they could pave it over and make a big parking lot... or put in some landscaping and call it a day.
Never understood this Katie Bell thing about people going in ordering almost nothing and stay to listen to entertainment.

Seems like management puts in a little something called a cover or a food minimum and problem easily goes away.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:50 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post

Very perceptive, but few will see it.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:09 PM

I didn’t see any sharing! I think the developer gets to keep the amenity fees for all the units. It was around $543,000 a year. The tenants get to use all amenities in the Villages. What kind of deal is that?
Old 08-12-2020, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
I doubt a parking garage was a legitimate concern.
I also don't see how a big box store is a threat. The Villages could build it, but would Costco / Whole Foods / Trader Joe's come? Besides, a fair number of residents would be positively gleeful at the prospect.

It seems as though many would prefer to have a new and improved country club on the site, but why should any business owner continue to pour money into a failing enterprise? It's unrealistic to expect the Morses to do so. (And please let's not bring the sainted Harold Schwartz and his grave spinning into this.)
Old 08-13-2020, 04:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
The unnamed news site has the story.
If Mita Minton has the story, you can be assured that it's biased against The Villages.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:33 AM
Veteran member

The vote was not taken on the apartments.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:52 AM

Let the developer build a parking lot next to a golf course. This creates no harm and it will be useless to most people. Essentially, it will be a waste of money. And a retailer being placed in the location will not do very well. I would bet it would stay empty most of the time due to the location. The ACC truly made a big mistake on this one.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:59 AM
Default Brownwood apartments

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Can you link us to credible proof that the developer did/said/planned/ had such a thought?

Apartments are not awful. I imagine they will look like the complex on 466 for people who are living there independently.

We are of an age where downsizing to a beautiful apartment is something we think about. If the developer builds it, it will be beautiful and a lovely haven just like all of our homes.
Seems like a secret. Anyone know the rental fees and other monthly costs to rent an apartment at the new Brownwood location owned by the villages?
Old 08-13-2020, 06:09 AM
Veteran member

OMG. Just more belly aching. I think all these complainers on TOTV want to be unhappy. It’s a choice
Old 08-13-2020, 06:16 AM

After hearing of apts to be built at Hacienda my husband and I went to Brownwood to see the apts there. We thought they were very nice even though I doubt if we'll ever rent there. If I'm one day by myself, I would consider renting an apt. We were surprised that the 3 bedroom apts were already filled.
Closed Thread

Tags
aac, hacienda, hills, parking, garage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.