Uncertain about the Future

Closed Thread
Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,607 Times in 1,760 Posts

Thanks to so many of you for your heartfelt and thoughtful posts; thank you OP for the original post which has led to discussions of many things to consider.

Whenever I have a big decision to make - and moving to another community is a big decision, I research as much as I can which would include extended visits if possible when considering a move. Then I make a list of wants, don’t wants, must haves, can’t haves. After narrowing it down to my possible choices I do a pros and cons list, weighting various factors for each possibility. Then I sleep on it a while and eventually go by my gut which really is what the subconcience of my brain is telling me after it has processed all I have given it.

No move is without trepidation and rarely is irreversible, but at some cost.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-07-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 AM

This got me thinking, are there retirement communities of any prominence that do not allow owners to rent out their houses?

I do agree that renting has become a problem...in some cases.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:45 AM
Smile Fear Not!

Fear not my friend! Life is short and you will never know until you try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Can anyone relate about moving to the Villages as being uncertain if this is the right thing to do. And if so, what happened after you moved there. We are getting ready to make that move.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
This got me thinking, are there retirement communities of any prominence that do not allow owners to rent out their houses?

I'm not positive but I believe there are sections in Fenney that do not allow short term renting.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Question

What sort of rental problem have you experienced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post

Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 PM

Meth heads. No skin in the game with rental houses sometimes. Many on here have mentioned lawns not being kept up etc.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Just out of curiosity, is this potential move to be closer to you, for better job opportunities...or to possibly move in with you?

It's my opinion that at some point, you need to live for yourself and do what YOU want...not what your child wants.

All too many parents (and certainly not saying you're one of them by any means), have been 'emotionally blackmailed' (even if it's subtle) by their children who don't understand that the parents job on raising and supporting them is over when they become adults ...and it's now their time to go out in the world and make their mark on their own.

It might be a good idea to at least think of talking to a professional, explain your entire personal situation...and then really listen to their objective comments.
Coldnomore, that is so true. The worst parents are the ones who have 30 year olds on their couch, but Millenials seem to have no problems with emotional blackmail. This even includes withholding grandkids from you. I have seen it in many of my friends families. I had never seen it in our generation, we never would have thought about it. Of course, our parents showed us the door at 18 and made us adults
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyGrandpap View Post
I commend TOMCAT for seeking input. The cost of relocating back home is significant including closing cost to sell up north, closing cost to by in TV, closing cost to repurchase back home, closing cost to sell the home in TV, plus moving expenes, plus trying to replace the home you sold back home, loss of appreciation of the home sold back home as that home most likely appreciated more than the home in TV DUE to massive build out here. I suspect a lot of folks who regret the move here, due to the various financial and emotional cost of moving back, bite the bullet and try to make the best of the move.
I agree with you except for one statement - unless your old home was in San Francisco or another area like that, the homes up north have not appreciated as much or as consistently in TV. This of course is assuming you bought a typical house in either place without some special circumstance and took good care of it.

Why anyone would want to move back to the snow is beyond me. I would add that 95 degree days in Wisconsin are WAY worse than in TV - no rain or breeze like you get down there, and August and early September can have a lot of that. I have spent a lot of time in August in TV, and I would take it over Wisconsin any day.

The other thing I have read is people wanting to move back to the city. Not sure what they are missing unless it is the Crime, High taxes, and Traffic......
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

To the OP -

Glad you started this thread because there has been a lot of good advice given on here. Hope you are taking notes.

One thing I heard today that I think many of us women in particular are prone to -

"Don't let your emotions dictate your decisions."

Often times one can't help but be emotional over big life changes such as the ones you are going through. But taking practical steps like those mentioned on here by others - list pros/cons, likes/dislikes, visit TV a few more times, rent first, etc - will build confidence in your decision making and hopefully diminish the emotional component somewhat.

Also, if you are able, take your time if you are feeling uncertain. Unless there is a pressing reason, why rush into something that you don't feel ready for?

Again, wishing you all the best.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:31 PM

Wow. This has become a hot thread. Thank you for all your inputs. I appreciate all your comments!
Old 08-07-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
Fear not my friend! Life is short and you will never know until you try.

Well said! 👍😊
Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwjpb View Post
Once you move to the Villages the Villages Mafia has a hold of you. Think it over long and hard. It's turning into a rental community and a
Haven for young adults occupying their grandparents homes. If we wanted to be a part of a rental community we would've made that decision. Many peoplel purchase homes then leave them unoccupied or rent them out to anyone who pays without background checks. Some properties are unkept and the Villages do nothing. It's free advertising so they continue to allow it. Things need to change. We are not happy as we thought we purchased in a community that is safe.Anyone can get through the gates so we really do not need to swipe our cards. It's just a selling feature. But if we were to sell we would lose out.
I do not know where in the Villages you live but I do hope it gets better for you. I visited about maybe 5 times there and all I see is beautiful landscaping and well kept properties and very clean.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:57 AM

We moved here 22 years ago from NYC to get away from people. Looks like they all followed me. Great life style.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjwjpb
...It's turning into a rental community and a Haven for young adults occupying their grandparents homes. If we wanted to be a part of a rental community we would've made that decision. Many people purchase homes then leave them unoccupied or rent them out to anyone who pays without background checks. Some properties are unkept and the Villages do nothing. It's free advertising so they continue to allow it. Things need to change. We are not happy as we thought we purchased in a community that is safe.Anyone can get through the gates so we really do not need to swipe our cards. It's just a selling feature. But if we were to sell we would lose out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
I do not know where in the Villages you live but I do hope it gets better for you. I visited about maybe 5 times there and all I see is beautiful landscaping and well kept properties and very clean.
I don't find this situation at all in my villa community that is 7 years old. For example, my street of 13 CYV's are all occupied by their owners, all are in their 60's and 70's. Three are snowbirds and 10 are permanent like myself. I would estimate there to be about 1,000 rentals in TV and the last info I read stated there were 53,000 homes and more being built everyday, which equates to about 2,000 new homes a year. That poster should know there is policy in place for all of this and all he has to do is report it.
Closed Thread

Tags
uncertain, moved, happened, move, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.