Uncertain about the Future

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2018, 05:25 PM
fw102807

I think you either want to do it or you don't. If you start disecting everything that could go wrong you are just you are just going to make yourself crazy. There is nothing in life that is not a risk and tomorrow is never guaranteed.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:24 PM
Platinum member

I did not experience second thoughts when we were planning our move. TOTV played a big role in my comfort level in moving here. How could so many happy, intelligent folks love this place? We have been here 10 years and I wish we had moved here earlier.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
Can anyone relate about moving to the Villages as being uncertain if this is the right thing to do. And if so, what happened after you moved there. We are getting ready to make that move.

That's like asking "who has the best hamburger" it's different for everyone ... but for us it was a life changing positive experience (yes, there are things we dislike and miss from our "previous life) and couldn't be happier. We came down "cold" for a month in Sept 2016, went home 9/30, hired and agent 10/2, put our house for sale on Oct 31, sold it Nov 2, closed Jan 5th 2017 and headed south on the same day "homeless and with nothing but clothes and personal stuff." Found a cheap rental here for 2 months, bought within 2 weeks of arriving and moved in Feb 1 2017.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:14 PM
Platinum member
Smile Enjoy

Quote:
Can anyone relate about moving to the Villages as being uncertain if this is the right thing to do. And if so, what happened after you moved there. We are getting ready to make that move.
Are you uneasy about moving to The Villages, or simply uneasy about moving at all?

Is there some other retirement community that you would be more comfortable about moving to, or are you simply apprehensive about the unknown elements of moving to any new place?

During my working career I was transferred four times, and taking transfers was considered a necessary element of job advancement, so coming to The Villages was no big deal for me, particularly since I grew up in Florida and was comfortable about the weather, the geography, the wild life, and other things that seem to concern some people coming here.

I frankly cannot conceive of a retirement community with more activities for "active seniors" and opportunities to make new friends.

I tested the waters before jumping in by an initial one week rental. Then a one month rental. By then I grew to love the place. You might want to consider a long term rental to see how well you feel you fit in.

In any case ---- Enjoy!
Old 07-30-2018, 11:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We don’t think as any house as a forever home. We had built three houses, before we bought in TV. We came the first time in 07, and didn’t buy until 2010.

We are on our third house here, and still have our house up north. We enjoy the summers and lakes you can swim in, so at least for a few more years multiple houses are not a problem for us.

Our grands are almost all in college, and our kids all live in different states. Even if something should happen to one of us, I would keep both houses. We have many friends here who have the same situation of a home here and a summer home.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
Bought in '08--best thing we have done in retirement. Drink the Kool-Aid
👍 Sounds great!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess it is the nervousness of moving to another state. We have been to the Villages numerous times. Love to get away from NY winters. I worry about my husband having a heart attack outside with snow shoveling, our neighbors help us with their snowblowers. Now we are the old neighbors. When we moved here, we were the young neighbors that used to help.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I guess it is the nervousness of moving to another state. We have been to the Villages numerous times. Love to get away from NY winters. I worry about my husband having a heart attack outside with snow shoveling, our neighbors help us with their snowblowers. Now we are the old neighbors. When we moved here, we were the young neighbors that used to help.
I moved to TV from MA to escape the winter up there. The only thing I'm sorry about is I wish I'd done it sooner.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

If you plan to be full time then make sure of two things. First if you have grandchildren in another State be sure you and the spouse are ok with visiting them as often as you decide is necessary and that you will have no problem in being far away. Next, be sure you are ok with long, humid, hot summers and that the heat does not bother you so much you become unhappy. Those are probably the two most popular reasons I have found for people moving here and leaving. I just told my wife that she could visit the grandchildren any time she wanted. Since we are both Southern born we are use to the summers. Otherwise come on down and they will for sure sell you a home.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

O.P. I know of one of our frequent posters, who the last time he visited stayed for three months, but he always had something holding him back from moving here. The last thing was his mothers home had to be sold, and he was reluctant to take less, spruce it up, etc.

The heartbreaking reality is that a deadly illness interrupted his longing to be here.

If not now, when? Sometimes I really miss the rest of our wonderful family and wish we were closer but they have scattered to the four winds persuing their active and successful lives. Oldest daughter leaves for London for three years on this coming Sunday.

Sometimes we have to do what we haven't done all of our lives; throw caution to the wind and jump in with both feet.

The water is fine. You will love it.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
If you plan to be full time then make sure of two things. First if you have grandchildren in another State be sure you and the spouse are ok with visiting them as often as you decide is necessary and that you will have no problem in being far away. Next, be sure you are ok with long, humid, hot summers and that the heat does not bother you so much you become unhappy. Those are probably the two most popular reasons I have found for people moving here and leaving. I just told my wife that she could visit the grandchildren any time she wanted. Since we are both Southern born we are use to the summers. Otherwise come on down and they will for sure sell you a home.
Yes those are two great reasons. Grandchildren can visit. I do not mind long, hot summers. Actually we have them here in NY also, maybe a little bit more humid in Florida but there is no snow there.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
O.P. I know of one of our frequent posters, who the last time he visited stayed for three months, but he always had something holding him back from moving here. The last thing was his mothers home had to be sold, and he was reluctant to take less, spruce it up, etc.

The heartbreaking reality is that a deadly illness interrupted his longing to be here.

If not now, when? Sometimes I really miss the rest of our wonderful family and wish we were closer but they have scattered to the four winds persuing their active and successful lives. Oldest daughter leaves for London for three years on this coming Sunday.

Sometimes we have to do what we haven't done all of our lives; throw caution to the wind and jump in with both feet.

The water is fine. You will love it.
Yes so true. You said it best! I have a friend who sold her house and backed out of it a couple of times. Now her husband has died and she wished she had made a move to where she really wanted to live then. Sometimes talking about moving is just easier than actually doing the moving. Hopefully things will work out! Thank you.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Rent first.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:14 PM
Default You make me wonder

Quote:
Why would you ask people who do not know you what they think YOU should do?

It is a major decision to move. Leaving a former residence, friends, packing etc etc.

We moved to the villages four years ago. Was it a smart move? For us the answer is YES. Was it the only option?
OF COURSE NOT.

My advice-if you have not done so rent for a while. If, you are falling for the line that prices are going up. That is true but, if you have a yet unsold home it's price also going up.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:22 PM
Platinum member

///

Last edited by patfla06; 08-01-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
uncertain, moved, happened, move, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.