Uncertain about the Future

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2018, 05:26 PM
Sage

Making a big change is hard especially when leaving family and friends behind. Also with dealing with a life they have known and felt comfortable in, as opposed to starting something new.

I think it's perfectly natural to have anxiety about moving from one state to another and dealing with the "unknowns".

Only you can answer that question whether you have the where with all, to deal with the move.

Being a single person and moving to TV was a little harder as one does not have someone to consult with. After several months, I knew the move was right for me and love TV.

If you feel your anxiety is too great, then maybe you should rent for awhile, until you can get a better assessment, if this a correct move for you and yours.

In TV, it' s easy to make new friendships as you have to do is open your mouth and talk to people.

The only thing that is certain in life is "change". Sometimes people stay in situations, even when they are bad because they fear changing to something different.

The choice is yours.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 07-31-2018, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

I think everybody that moves here always wonders if they are doing the right thing and of course this causes anxiety. We had that but have never regretted moving here. It' fantastic!!!
Old 07-31-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
O.P. I know of one of our frequent posters, who the last time he visited stayed for three months, but he always had something holding him back from moving here. The last thing was his mothers home had to be sold, and he was reluctant to take less, spruce it up, etc.

The heartbreaking reality is that a deadly illness interrupted his longing to be here.

If not now, when? Sometimes I really miss the rest of our wonderful family and wish we were closer but they have scattered to the four winds persuing their active and successful lives. Oldest daughter leaves for London for three years on this coming Sunday.

Sometimes we have to do what we haven't done all of our lives; throw caution to the wind and jump in with both feet.

The water is fine. You will love it.
Wow Gracie. You hit the nail on the head. If not now, when? It’s our time. Best decision we’ve ever made.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
O.P. I know of one of our frequent posters, who the last time he visited stayed for three months, but he always had something holding him back from moving here. The last thing was his mothers home had to be sold, and he was reluctant to take less, spruce it up, etc.

The heartbreaking reality is that a deadly illness interrupted his longing to be here.

If not now, when? Sometimes I really miss the rest of our wonderful family and wish we were closer but they have scattered to the four winds persuing their active and successful lives. Oldest daughter leaves for London for three years on this coming Sunday.

Sometimes we have to do what we haven't done all of our lives; throw caution to the wind and jump in with both feet.

The water is fine. You will love it.
I'll be sure to show my husband this.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:55 PM
Platinum member

What Gracie said! It feels much better now that my son and his wife have moved nearby!
Old 08-02-2018, 06:19 AM

Tomcat-I know what you mean & I think feeling uncertain is natural when you move! We are literally in the midst of it all now. Just unloaded pods yesterday. How do we feel? Ecstatic. The more time we are in our new home, the more we know we made the right decision. We came to TV for one reason---pickleball--once here, we realized we also came for golf & many other things we love to do...but mainly pball
Old 08-03-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyLover View Post
Tomcat-I know what you mean & I think feeling uncertain is natural when you move! We are literally in the midst of it all now. Just unloaded pods yesterday. How do we feel? Ecstatic. The more time we are in our new home, the more we know we made the right decision. We came to TV for one reason---pickleball--once here, we realized we also came for golf & many other things we love to do...but mainly pball
I have never played pickleball. I have to try. It looks like fun! As I sit here in NY, it is very hot outside and this is what I will feel in Florida. Hopefully this life change will be a positive one. Thank you all for your replies. I think I am feeling a little anxious and yes I think it is normal. I lived all my life in 4 seasons so this right here will be a change for me. But I am not looking forward to snow anymore. I think that is saying something right there.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMCAT View Post
I have never played pickleball. I have to try. It looks like fun! As I sit here in NY, it is very hot outside and this is what I will feel in Florida. Hopefully this life change will be a positive one. Thank you all for your replies. I think I am feeling a little anxious and yes I think it is normal. I lived all my life in 4 seasons so this right here will be a change for me. But I am not looking forward to snow anymore. I think that is saying something right there.
I know like many reading your posts, we wish we could help. I hope you have a spouse coming with you, that makes it somewhat easier, knowing someone when you get here. Sometimes just talking over your worries with your medical doctor can help as well. Moving is a major health stressor.

Wishing you happiness.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Anyone who moves to The Villages so to partake of its "Lifestyle and Activities" needs to keep in mind that the day will come when for health reasons, he won't be able to partake of such activities anymore. So it is important he forms friendships, and if friendships are that important, perhaps he may want to stay where he already is.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Anyone who moves to The Villages so to partake of its "Lifestyle and Activities" needs to keep in mind that the day will come when for health reasons, he won't be able to partake of such activities anymore.
I don't know....Chuck Yeager is still flying, golfing and hiking at 95. Going from SoCal to West VA to watch his Mountaineers and hang out with the students....

He has a great Twitter feed largely about his adventures past AND present.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:23 PM
Smile

Quote:
I know like many reading your posts, we wish we could help. I hope you have a spouse coming with you, that makes it somewhat easier, knowing someone when you get here. Sometimes just talking over your worries with your medical doctor can help as well. Moving is a major health stressor.

Wishing you happiness.
Thank you. I am starting to feel better. My husband is moving with me. I think we will be fine. I spoke to one of my doctors and he said go for it. I have been going to him for 25 years.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thank you. I am starting to feel better. My husband is moving with me. I think we will be fine. I spoke to one of my doctors and he said go for it. I have been going to him for 25 years.
We have two kitties at our house. I see you like them too. When you get settled, P.M. me and come by for coffee.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
We have two kitties at our house. I see you like them too. When you get settled, P.M. me and come by for coffee.
Thank you. So nice of you! Yes I like cats, but I also like dogs. I have a Miniature Schnauzer right now. I grew up with a cat. My mom named one of the cats that we had Tom. He sort of looks like the picture.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Location: The Villages (previous: Kittery & Eliot Maine, Portsmouth & Barrington NH, Uncasville CT)

On the other hand...we were certain we wanted to be in The Villages for the rest of our lives. Nothing would get us to move. Then we started traveling and started to realize we wanted something different. We loved The Villages and still love visiting friends there. But we wanted to be near the water with a view and in a smaller community. We had no problem selling our house and after a year of traveling around the country bought a condo on the beach where we now spend a lot of time watching dolphins and pelicans.
Nothing in life is certain but it sure is an adventure.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you. So nice of you! Yes I like cats, but I also like dogs. I have a Miniature Schnauzer right now. I grew up with a cat. My mom named one of the cats that we had Tom. He sort of looks like the picture.
Hello Tomcat, Since you like both dogs and cats, when/if you move to The Villages, it sounds like the animal rescue groups and animal shelters always need volunteers.

Can you visualize youself lying next to a Village pool or playing pickleball in January? What are you doing up north in January -- shoveling snow, scraping ice off of your windshield?

Keeping good thoughts for you

Tags
uncertain, moved, happened, move, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.