Under 55 Residents

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

OK, if not all villages residents are at least 55 years of age, then what about the 20% that arn't 55 and own in the villages (not the 3, Bison Valley, Spring Harbor, Or Oak forest for empolyee's with kids). Read hear many times that up to 20% precent don't have 55 years of age and have brought in the villages. Does that mean they don't pay amenities. What the point buying in the villages if you can't use the amenities?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWN MARIE View Post
Yes, I was 46 when I moved here. There's a 80/20 rule that allowed for that to happen although there was a debate about my moving here. I'm still not old enough to live here some say.
I also was under 55 as was my wife and we still are under 55 but loving every minute of life here
Old 03-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc Moser View Post
OK, if not all villages residents are at least 55 years of age, then what about the 20% that arn't 55 and own in the villages (not the 3, Bison Valley, Spring Harbor, Or Oak forest for empolyee's with kids). Read hear many times that up to 20% precent don't have 55 years of age and have brought in the villages. Does that mean they don't pay amenities. What the point buying in the villages if you can't use the amenities?
If you live in TV you pay and use the amenities (if you chose to use them). You can buy and live in TV as long as you are 19 or older. It is against federal law to discriminate in housing based on age. The 80/20 rule has to do with designation as a plus 55 community
Old 03-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc Moser View Post
I was trying to clarify that the family areas are NOT part of The Villages. If you buy in The Villages you MUST pay the amentity fee.

According to the rules a certain percentage can be under 55 but I do like to point out that those of us who are over 55 living here have a perfect right to do so.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 PM
Sage

Once again....in order to have an exemption from federal anti-discrimination laws in housing, a 55-older community must allow for a maximum of 20% of residents to be under 55.

"Concerning the Final Rule Implementing
the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 (HOPA)

Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (the Federal Fair Housing Act), as amended by the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 (the Fair Housing Act), prohibits discrimination in housing and real estate-related transactions based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, handicap and familial status (in general, the presence of children under the age of 18 in the household). The prohibition against discrimination based on familial status became effective March 12, 1989. The Act contained a provision exempting "senior" housing from the prohibition against familial status discrimination.

The Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA), signed into law by President Clinton on December 28, 1995, amended the housing for older persons exemption against familial status discrimination. The HOPA modified the statutory definition of housing for older persons as housing intended and operated for occupancy by at least one person 55 years of age or older per unit. It eliminated the requirement that housing for older persons have significant services and facilities specifically designed for its elderly residents. It required that facilities or communities claiming the exemption establish age verification procedures. It established a good faith reliance defense or exemption against monetary damages for persons who illegally act in good faith to exclude children based on a legitimate belief that the housing facility or community was entitled to the exemption.....

Question 3
What must a housing community or facility do to qualify for the 55 or older housing for older persons exemption?

Answer
In order to qualify for the exemption, the housing community/facility must satisfy each of the following requirements:
a) at least 80 percent of the occupied units must be occupied by at least one person 55 years of age or older per unit;

b) the owner or management of the housing facility/community must publish and adhere to policies and procedures that demonstrate an intent to provide housing for persons 55 years or older; and

c) the facility/community must comply with rules issued by the Secretary for verification of occupancy through reliable surveys and affidavits.....

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/docu...d=DOC_7769.pdf
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I also was under 55 as was my wife and we still are under 55 but loving every minute of life here
hmmmmm maybe we could start a new under 55 group! LOL. I could be in it for at least three more years!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Once again....in order to have an exemption from federal anti-discrimination laws in housing, a 55-older community must allow for a maximum of 20% of residents to be under 55.

I'm not sure if you misunderstand the wording of the law or if you just worded your post in a way that sounds a little confusing to me. But to clarify, a community doesn't HAVE to allow 20% to be under 55.

In order to comply with HOPA, AT LEAST 80% of the homes must be occupied by one person that is 55+. What is done with the other 20%, is up to the individual community. The last 55+ community I lived in required 100% of the homes to be occupied by at least one person who was 55+.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWN MARIE View Post
hmmmmm maybe we could start a new under 55 group! LOL. I could be in it for at least three more years!
We could meet at the Cody's bar or our lanai and smoke our hookah
Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
In order to comply with HOPA, AT LEAST 80% of the homes must be occupied by one person that is 55+.
I wonder how TV monitors this?

If a 55+ sells privately to an under-55, do they have to register this action somewhere?

And if the balance were already 80-20 would they be prevented from selling to the under-55?
Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
I'm not sure if you misunderstand the wording of the law or if you just worded your post in a way that sounds a little confusing to me. But to clarify, a community doesn't HAVE to allow 20% to be under 55.

In order to comply with HOPA, AT LEAST 80% of the homes must be occupied by one person that is 55+. What is done with the other 20%, is up to the individual community. The last 55+ community I lived in required 100% of the homes to be occupied by at least one person who was 55+.
I was just simplifying it.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post

If a 55+ sells privately to an under-55, do they have to register this action somewhere?

And if the balance were already 80-20 would they be prevented from selling to the under-55?
Department of Housing and Urban Development
24 CFR Part 100 Implementation of the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995; Final Rule

(b) A facility or community shall, within 180 days of the effective date of this rule, develop procedures for routinely determining the occupancy of each unit, including the identification of whether at least one occupant of each unit is 55 years of age or older.

The Villages must be very careful they are not violating this law in their haste to sell new homes as quickly as possible.

(f) The housing facility or community must establish and maintain appropriate policies to require that occupants comply with the age verification procedures required by this section.

Since this is a federal law, any complaints should be directed to a US Representative.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

The other thing TV does as part of the contract if you build or buy a inventory home they have a statement that says something along the line that one of you is 55 or older, I'm just paraphrasing, we had that part of the contract modified.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I was just simplifying it.
Cantwait...my post was in response to Ilovetv's post, not yours.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:

In our closing papers there was a document we had to sign affirming that one of us was 55+.

TV has everyone's birthdate in order to produce and track Resident ID card information.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Gold member

Most 55 or older communities that I am aware of have some sort of interview process.

This is to explain the various community rules and regulations as well as verifying that at least one of the residents is 55.

And, as previously stated you do not have to allow up to 20% under 55.

There are forms that are filed annually with the State of Florida which provides a census of the % of residents ages.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.