Under 55 Residents

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Why make somthing a problem, that isn't?
Old 03-24-2013, 04:24 PM

The original question was about a family with school aged children moving into one of the villages built by the developer.

It has been clarified that they were referring to the three family communities built by the developer. These communities are NOT part of the villages.

I think this thread has gotten off topic.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
In our closing papers there was a document we had to sign affirming that one of us was 55+.

TV has everyone's birthdate in order to produce and track Resident ID card information.
At the several open houses I have attended in TV (for both new and pre-owned homes) I have posed this question to an agent (I'm single, no kids, over 50, not yet 55), can I buy a home in TV? For pre-owned homes, I was told no problem since I'm not buying directly from The Villages, I'm buying from a previous owner. For new construction I would have to get approval from The Villages management to purchase in TV, but since I have no kids and only a couple of years shy of turning 55, it would not be a problem. All of the agents I spoke to said that TV's management does monitor the 80/20 ratio, and that TV is not close to having 20% of the residents under 55 (at least that was the situation as of last October). But unless I win the lottery I will more than likely be at least 55 before I can purchase in TV.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
At the several open houses I have attended in TV (for both new and pre-owned homes) I have posed this question to an agent (I'm single, no kids, over 50, not yet 55), can I buy a home in TV? For pre-owned homes, I was told no problem since I'm not buying directly from The Villages, I'm buying from a previous owner. For new construction I would have to get approval from The Villages management to purchase in TV, but since I have no kids and only a couple of years shy of turning 55, it would not be a problem. All of the agents I spoke to said that TV's management does monitor the 80/20 ratio, and that TV is not close to having 20% of the residents under 55 (at least that was the situation as of last October). But unless I win the lottery I will more than likely be at least 55 before I can purchase in TV.
WE are so looking forward to it Laura.

You are going to be a plus to this wonderful place.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
Most 55 or older communities that I am aware of have some sort of interview process.

This is to explain the various community rules and regulations as well as verifying that at least one of the residents is 55.

And, as previously stated you do not have to allow up to 20% under 55.

There are forms that are filed annually with the State of Florida which provides a census of the % of residents ages.

I was never interviewed. The only time I ever put my birthday on anything was when I got my Resident ID.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I was never interviewed. The only time I ever put my birthday on anything was when I got my Resident ID.
That's because you bought a resale.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Gold member

I had a co worker , married and 52 years old buy a home here a couple of years ago. It was a new house that he had built.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:30 PM
Default Gracie's right on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Family pools are for residents and their family members.

The Villages you speak of are NOT part of The Villages and do not pay amenity fees and cannot use OUR amenities .

Anyone can buy there. I'm pretty sure. Help?
My mother-in-Law has lived here and also works for the villages (19 yrs) the family sections can not use OUR amenities. You are right Gracie.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

We bought a resale and also were never asked our age. We are 48 and 44. I know of a 28 year old that owned a home here. Parents passed away and she assumed ownership. She has since sold it and moved on.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
We bought a resale and also were never asked our age. We are 48 and 44. I know of a 28 year old that owned a home here. Parents passed away and she assumed ownership. She has since sold it and moved on.
I would guess it would be no more fun for her than for most of us to live in a college dorm. It is nice to be with ones peers.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWN MARIE View Post
Yes, I was 46 when I moved here. There's a 80/20 rule that allowed for that to happen although there was a debate about my moving here. I'm still not old enough to live here some say.
I plan on staying that way mentally forever
Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
Yes, there happens to be 3 COMMUNITIES near THE VILLAGES built by the developer. But they are located OUTSIDE of THE VILLAGES property.

Anyone can purchase these homes. (or possibly rent there)

There are no restrictions as to age or requirements of employment with The Villages.

However, children who live in these communities must have a parent employed by The Villages or employed by the various commercial properties located within The Villages in order to attend the Charter School.

These communities do not share any amenities provided within The Villages.
Some of these communities may have a pool or meeting room.
Exactly. There are some grandparents who took in their grandkids (for various reasons) and they moved to the so called "any age" communities so they could care for the kids. I personally don't care for the Charter School concept that keeps these kids from attending the Charter Schools but that is a subject for another thread.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I was trying to clarify that the family areas are NOT part of The Villages. If you buy in The Villages you MUST pay the amentity fee.

According to the rules a certain percentage can be under 55 but I do like to point out that those of us who are over 55 living here have a perfect right to do so.
It seems to me that the 20% that are under 55 also have a perfect right to be here.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdlfan View Post
I can't comment on a 28 year old inheriting a home but it poses an interesting question. It's a very unlikely scenario, but what if 20% of the residents who willed their homes to people under 55 died. It could push the number of under 55 over the 20% limit.

As far as being 44 and 48, there is no problem as long as The Villages approves it and they stay under the 20% cap.

Of course owning a home here does not mean that you are a resident. For example, you could own the home and rent it to people who are over 55. Or, you could remain a resident of another state and use your Villages home as a vacation home.

Another possible scenario is that one spouse is over 55 and the other is under 55. They have two over 18 yo children from a previous marriage living with them. The spouse who is over 55 passes away. Do the souse and children have to move out even though they own the home?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It seems to me that the 20% that are under 55 also have a perfect right to be here.
Did you see the wink, Dr?

I didn't see yours.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.