Under sink water filter

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2021, 04:11 PM
Default Under sink water filter

Has anyone had an under-sink water filter for drinking installed in the kitchen? If so who did you use and were you happen with them. Not interested in a whole house water softener. Do you remember about how much it cost?
Old 12-02-2021, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzeis@tampabay.rr.com View Post
Has anyone had an under-sink water filter for drinking installed in the kitchen? If so who did you use and were you happen with them. Not interested in a whole house water softener. Do you remember about how much it cost?
Not a direct reply to the question but, you want to check reviews of the filters and cost of the filters. Filters under the sink will of course take up room. We, the wife, keeps cleaning stuff under there. We have a water tap in the refrigerator door that we use for drinking and cooking water. Those filters are also an on going expense. As far as I can tell, the warning to change the filter is based on time not water used. An issue with any water filter is when to change it. Any organic material trapped in the filter will allow bacteria to grow. Far as filters, we used the brand name filters and they have gone up in price. Generic filters are cheaper but you don't know what you are getting. Do they really? Who says so? The company selling them? Reliable source-I don't think so.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

We found that a whole house water filter (and in our case a water softener) solved all of our 'problems'. IMHO, the on going costs may be less for the whole house unit, and may save money in the long run.

Last edited by villagetinker; 12-03-2021 at 10:05 AM. Reason: fixed spelling error
Old 12-02-2021, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I bought two. The first one reduced the flow too much. I attached that one to the ice maker for the fridge.

I then bought this one: Access Denied

It took about 20 minutes to install. Works great, full flow. Filter is good for 6 months.
Old 12-02-2021, 07:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We did not want a water softener either but we went with a whole house filter rather than just an under the sink one. We wanted filtered water to drink and cook and our fridge did not have water on the door. In addition we wanted clean filtered water to brush our teeth, shower and wash our clothes.

Last edited by Garywt; 12-03-2021 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:22 PM

We have one that we pulled when we bought the house. Tested once for flow. Appears like new. Comes with the manual and cartridge tool.PM if interested.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:10 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

Quote:
We have a reverse osmosis under our sink. Works great and water tastes great. It has it's own on/off control. Doesn't affect regular water flow.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I'm going to be ripping mine out if you want it.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:48 AM
Sage

I think you're referring to a reverse osmosis unit with a separate faucet.

you can the info here
Reverse Osmosis | RO Filter System for the home

The Villages Florida
Old 12-04-2021, 08:18 AM

I have a reverse osmosis 3 filter system by Kenetico . Paid $500. 10 years ago. Love it.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:47 AM
Default Under Sink Filters - 3M

We have a 3M under sink filter. It's a 2 filter system. The system has a meter that will shut off the water to when the filters need to be changed. I installed the thing myself. It took about 30 minutes to install. I had to drill a hole in the sink where the filter's faucet is mounted. The filter system mounts with 2 small screws on the side of the cabinet under the sink. The system works very well. The filters come with a report on all of the stuff the filters take out of the water supply. The filters are relatively easy to change. I can't recall if the filters are good for 500 or 1000 gallons of water. The system is about 12-15 inches in height, 8-10 inches in width, and 3 inches in depth (the depth is the amout of space in the cabinet you loose when you mount the system).
Old 12-04-2021, 09:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
We’ll bottled water to me is about as cheap as payouts for filtered water unless you’re a person that drinks 6 to 10 bottles a day. Yea, TV water isn’t the best tasting water!
Old 12-04-2021, 09:56 AM

Ive read horror stories about people coming home (TV) and find the kitchen area flooded. Some filter systems are so cheap that they require you to have an expansion tank in your garage to absorb water hammer. That makes me believe the filter system is very cheap. What other appliance in your home requires an expansion tank as part of its warranty. NONE THAT I KNOW OF. My point is just be careful of what you get installed. If water taste is your issue get a good refrigerator filter for your drinking water (carbon filter).
Old 12-04-2021, 10:22 AM
Default Undersink water filter

My neighbor had one of these burst while he was away. Totally flooded the lower level of his home. Many thousands of dollars and major inconveniences in repairs. I would think twice before installing one.
Old 12-04-2021, 10:36 AM
Sage

We don't use any expansion tanks.

We install a water sensor in the kitchen cabinet that shuts the water off if water is detected.

Tags
water, filter, interested, softener, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.