Unhappy people...and observation

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2018, 05:03 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Looks like I will be going to the Chula Vista pool. I'm up for rattling their cage.
Because starting a fight with rude ignorant people is a good solution? My solution is ignore. BK is right we spend way too much time focused on the bad behavior when in my experience most people are quite nice.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Platinum member

Ok - I jumped off my soapbox too soon ...

Further evidence, of The Villages still being "the friendliest hometown", is the fact that we repeatedly encourage newcomers and prospective buyers to go out to the squares, talk to people, ask them about the villages. We tell them that if they are lost, just whip out a map and expect for Villagers to stop and help (and they do). Or, in my case, in a spirit of helpfulness recommend they join TOTV to get the "scoop" from real people.

Surely we would not recommend that if we thought for a moment that they were going to hear various "war stories" of ill-treatment and rude people, and bad food, greedy developers and of course the ever-present dog poop! No sane person would give that advice if they thought so -- my guess is none or few do. I think collectively we are all proud of The Villages for one reason or another.

And a short personal story:

In April 2016 we moved to The Villages so it is just over two years. I find my sense of "awe' is lessening a little. When we first got here I could not stop admiring the fact that there is no graffiti, that people do smile and wave, that the flowers up and down 466 are beautiful, etc., etc., etc. But like I've heard about people who live with a beautiful sunset view, eventually they get used to it and it just simply stops registering on an emotional level. It's not the environment that has changed. But the participants in that environment. I've come to expect that my expectations are fulfilled, and, for the most part, they are. So what I will remember and feel emotionally charged about will be the exceptions.

Last edited by BK001; 10-17-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Ok - I jumped off my soapbox too soon ...

Further evidence, of The Villages still being "the friendliest hometown", is the fact that we repeatedly encourage newcomers and prospective buyers to go out to the squares, talk to people, ask them about the villages. We tell them that if they are lost, just whip out a map and expect for Villagers to stop and help (and they do). Or, in my case, in a spirit of helpfulness recommend they join TOTV to get the "scoop" from real people.

Surely we would not recommend that if we thought for a moment that they were going to hear various "war stories" of ill-treatment and rude people, and bad food, and greedy developers. No sane person would give that advice.

And a short personal story:

In April 2016 we moved to The Villages so it is just over two years. I find my sense of "awe' is lessening a little. When we first got here I could not stop admiring the fact that there is no graffiti, that people do smile and wave, that the flowers up and down 466 are beautiful, etc., etc., etc. But like I've heard about people who live with a beautiful sunset view, eventually they get used to it and it just simply stops registering on an emotional level. It's not the environment that has changed. But the participants in that environment. I've come to expect that my expectations are fulfilled, and, for the most part, they are. So what I will remember and feel emotionally charged about will be the exceptions.
Imagine that hometown feeling dwindling if you have been here since 2005. Interesting enough in 2005 we were looking at a courtyard villa for sale by owner. I asked why would you be moving. Response was TV getting too big. When you went to the squares everyone knew each other. Now it is big enough that the "knuckleheads" can hide behind each other. As always the ying and the yang. Has lost a lot of luster for me also. Still have not found better but I never stop looking.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Imagine that hometown feeling dwindling if you have been here since 2005. Interesting enough in 2005 we were looking at a courtyard villa for sale by owner. I asked why would you be moving. Response was TV getting too big. When you went to the squares everyone knew each other. Now it is big enough that the "knuckleheads" can hide behind each other. As always the ying and the yang. Has lost a lot of luster for me also. Still have not found better but I never stop looking.
And there's nothing wrong with "still looking". If I could find all that I have now but surrounded by tons of traditional, family-owned restaurants of all ethnic persuasions, that are close enough that they deliver or I can pick-up without driving 40 minutes to an hour round trip (I am married to a man who hates to dine out) I would be out of here in a Flash!

Let's make a pact, whoever finds Nirvana first, let the other one know, OK? But in the meantime, we will continue to enjoy this Paradise.

Last edited by BK001; 10-17-2018 at 06:09 PM. Reason: after thought
Old 10-17-2018, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Going on 15 years and the "awe" has only heightened/increased/improved year by year.

Excluding the negatives the other 98% plus of us continue enjoying the lifestyle we sought in TV!!!!!
Old 10-17-2018, 06:03 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Let's make a pact, whoever finds Nirvana first, let the other one know, OK?
Old 10-17-2018, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Going on 15 years and the "awe" has only heightened/increased/improved year by year.

Excluding the negatives the other 98% plus of us continue enjoying the lifestyle we sought in TV!!!!!
We have been here since June of 2005 and I still admire the vision of the Villages' developers as well as Talk Host in creating Talk of the Villages.

There does seem to be more difficult people vocalizing their various concerns whether valid or not. And now the malcontents seem to be organizing.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
We have been here since June of 2005 and I still admire the vision of the Villages' developers as well as Talk Host in creating Talk of the Villages.

There does seem to be more difficult people vocalizing their various concerns whether valid or not. And now the malcontents seem to be organizing.
They aspire to hit 2%......if the 98% just ignores them the 2% will dwindle, go silent or away!!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
There are a lot of people here that need to be pistol whipped.

Regarding any comment by someone in a pool who requests that you dont use “their” pool, I would simply go up to them, apologize, and tell them..”I dont like to use “my” pool when I need to urinate frquently, like Im doing now.
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a WINNER!!!:MOJE_wh ot:

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 10-17-2018, 07:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
There are a lot of people here that need to be pistol whipped.

Regarding any comment by someone in a pool who requests that you dont use “their” pool, I would simply go up to them, apologize, and tell them..”I dont like to use “my” pool when I need to urinate frquently, like Im doing now.
LMAO. Funny. Good one!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

People. They are the worst. Especially the nice ones.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
...TV getting too big. When you went to the squares everyone knew each other..
Could it be that as we get older and frailer, and yes, even pass on, many simply stop going to the squares? So there are fewer "old" faces to recognize and they are replaced by those younger or in better physical health.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:39 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Could it be that as we get older and frailer, and yes, even pass on, many simply stop going to the squares? So there are fewer "old" faces to recognize and they are replaced by those younger or in better physical health.

Haha
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	76931  
Old 10-17-2018, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I have let The Villages change me. People who come to visit us have commented on it to my wife, is he sick or medicated? Her explanation is that it is this joint. The Serenity we have found here is priceless. I am cool calm and collected for the most part now. I'm under construction but from going from being upset by the time I got to work because a half hour ride took an hour and a half because of traffic to occasionally being inconvenienced has been a great transformation. We have friends who freak out about "THE BIRDS". I swear I don't get it not one bit. More great people but looking at them like being an inconvenience is a no go for me. As you can tell I we are still in love with our new HOME.

The really great thing about losing that edge that I had from living my entire life in a nut house is that when needed the old Habits can be summonsed it a minute. My lifelong saying is I don't have heart attacks, I give them. It's still true but I haven't had the need to call up that skill in almost 2 1/2 years. An Old Timer.

I told Mrs. Nucky to enjoy the sites up and down Morse and Buena Vista in the beginning because as time wore on it wouldn't be a thrill seeing the beautiful sites as it would become common. We still can't believe how nice it is so I was wrong.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
You may be right however, I don't think this outrageous behavior is common or even the norm. There are sooooo many other stories of inclusiveness, at least that has been my experience, (despite the fact that I'm from NY, LOL). In fact, I think it is so common that we take it for granted and only the aberrant experiences stand out.

We speak of the accident last Tuesday, but not the days without accidents. We speak of short pours, or poor service or meals that disappoint. Those experiences, understandably, are outside of our expectation so those are the ones we remember.

Ok,

Pollyanna signing off.
Never thought my post would continue as it has...but what you say is correct and I so agree. I guess I was just shocked a bit by the behavior I spoke about as most folks I've encountered are friendly and courteous. Being rude in public isn't the way I was raised nor is it, I don't think by most of us. I love where we live and all that it has to offer. We only have today, yesterday is gone and we're not promised tomorrow---so I'd say let's just chill and enjoy what time we have while we're here. (speaking to the broader group and not you "Pollyanna")
Closed Thread

Tags
people, cart, blah, find, wanted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.