Unsolicited Phone Call

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Sage
Default Unsolicited Phone Call

I just received a phone and with the caller calling me by my first name. He said he was Nathan, and wanted to talk about my computer.

My response was, "CLICK". I then tried to look-up the number he was calling from and it said, "unknown caller".

When will this scam artists realize that we are not dummies?

Just a heads up!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-13-2015, 04:49 PM

Just got the same call - heavy foreign accent. Did not bother listening beyond "its about your computer" and just hung up on him.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Location: Village of Dunedin, Keller Tx, Tulsa Ok, Chicago Il, Milwaukee Wi

If you cooperate with them, they will act as though they are fixing something wrong with your computer, and place a nasty virus or trojan in it that might do among other things, copy your keystrokes, capturing account no.s and passwords. Often they act as though they are calling from the "Microsoft operations center" or something to that effect.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Veteran member

When I see a unknown caller or private caller or Unavailable # on my phone, I just let it Ring, Ring, & ring.......
Old 02-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw14 View Post
When I see a unknown caller or private caller or Unavailable # on my phone, I just let it Ring, Ring, & ring.......
Me tooone of the good feature of comcast broadcast caller ID on TV if i don't recognize the number I don't pick up
Old 02-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We tell the we have a Mac. Not sure what to do with that so they hang up.
Old 02-13-2015, 05:58 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcsooner View Post
If you cooperate with them, they will act as though they are fixing something wrong with your computer, and place a nasty virus or trojan in it that might do among other things, copy your keystrokes, capturing account no.s and passwords. Often they act as though they are calling from the "Microsoft operations center" or something to that effect.
This is the type of call my daughter experienced last night in CA. The heavily foreign accented guy "wanted to help her stop someone in Australia from hacking into her PC". It was late. The call woke her up. He addressed her by name. When she hung up he called back so she unplugged her phone.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Gold member

I received that call also, and they said I had a virus in my computer. So I asked him what he does when he has a virus? He said he fixes them. So I told him, whenever I have a virus, I go to the doctor. He said you have a virus in your windows, and I said I couldn't have, because I just had all the windows cleaned in the house. HE HUNG UP ON ME!!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:30 PM
Sage

Well, reading the last post from PaPaLarry just brought up the dreaded UNSOLICITED "Congratulations! This is not a Joke." Ad. How do you hang up from that?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:33 PM
Veteran member

Like the others, we just refuse to answer unknown callers and if a number persists, we just block them. End of problem.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

I have real fun answering with crazy things that throw them off. Like the fine for accessing this phone is $1500 are you going to send me a check or give me your credit card number.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:39 AM

I always interrupt and say " Excuse me but I am required to tell you that this call is being recorded for law enforcement purposes so please continue talking" and they immediately hang up.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I just received a phone and with the caller calling me by my first name. He said he was Nathan, and wanted to talk about my computer.

My response was, "CLICK". I then tried to look-up the number he was calling from and it said, "unknown caller".

When will this scam artists realize that we are not dummies?

Just a heads up!!!
A lot of Villagers have their first and last names and their pets names on their lamp post. I would image that one of the names is probably used in their computer passwords. We're giving away valuable information, and making it easy for the bad guys!

They are not the "Dummies". All they need is one person out of a thousand to fall for their scam and the have made a huge profit.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
A lot of Villagers have their first and last names and their pets names on their lamp post. I would image that one of the names is probably used in their computer passwords. We're giving away valuable information, and making it easy for the bad guys!

They are not the "Dummies". All they need is one person out of a thousand to fall for their scam and the have made a huge profit.

I was speaking in a rhetorical sense.

It just makes me sad when someone does fall for scam artists.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-15-2015, 01:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I had this happen after I download some files. It took me hours to fix my computer. The caller said I was having problems with my computer so he was calling from Microsoft. I said I am not having problem and he would not believe me. I have no idea how he got my phone number.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.