Unusual scam making the rounds

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2023, 10:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Good for you, your one of the smart ones!
Old 01-17-2023, 11:35 PM
Default Stop scam calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
I went to ACE Hardware in Lady Lake last week. I like that store and the people in it. The next day I got a very professional looking message on my IPhone from ACE saying my name was selected to win a power drill. It looked really good, even though I would have to pay shipping, So, I clicked on the link in the message (I never do that but, hey, ACE Hardware?). The clicked-on link took me to another professional looking page where I was to claim my prize. I answered some innocuous questions (name, address, phone number), and then they asked me how I wanted to pay shipping (about $4.50). They had my three credit cards and PayPal listed, just as if I was buying from Amazon. But I had shut down one of those cards months ago. For fun, I clicked on that choice and sat back to see what would happen. In a few minutes "they" came back saying that credit card would not work, and would I please send them my social security number and bank account information so they could fix the card for me. Again, it looked very professional, but there was no way I was going to give information like that to strangers on the internet. Now, since then, I get dozens of text messages a day. I can tell they come from foreign countries because they use the +1 USA country code when they dial my number. Some of their messages are funny: The latest of these scam messages said that they could fix me so that I could "last" more than 10 minutes, and that my lady friend would really appreciate it. LOL
Now, there are two reasons for posting this thread. The first is to clue Talk of the Villages denizens into this scam. The second is to ask if anyone knows how to clear my phone so that these text messages stop.
Sorry this happened. To answer your question, you can load the app nomorobo. It stops robo calls pretty effectively. I got it when it was free, now I believe there is a small cost, but you can get free trial.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloniegal View Post
Also, if you have a paypal account check it often. I received a notice for over $500 requesting I approve a payment for bitcoins!!! You could tell it was from overseas. So many scams out there today.
I got that one also. Really looked legitimate but since I never placed that order knew it was hogwash and deleted it.
Old 01-21-2023, 10:54 AM

A. Don't answer if the no. is not in your contacts.
B. It's your phone you can do what you want.
C. Our message is " We are screening calls. Leave a message and we will call you back." Our kids thought we were inconsiderate. They don't any more.
D. For the one who's friends block their name and number, they created the situation, not you. They can leave a message.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
I went to ACE Hardware in Lady Lake last week. I like that store and the people in it. The next day I got a very professional looking message on my IPhone from ACE saying my name was selected to win a power drill. It looked really good, even though I would have to pay shipping, So, I clicked on the link in the message (I never do that but, hey, ACE Hardware?). The clicked-on link took me to another professional looking page where I was to claim my prize. I answered some innocuous questions (name, address, phone number), and then they asked me how I wanted to pay shipping (about $4.50). They had my three credit cards and PayPal listed, just as if I was buying from Amazon. But I had shut down one of those cards months ago. For fun, I clicked on that choice and sat back to see what would happen. In a few minutes "they" came back saying that credit card would not work, and would I please send them my social security number and bank account information so they could fix the card for me. Again, it looked very professional, but there was no way I was going to give information like that to strangers on the internet. Now, since then, I get dozens of text messages a day. I can tell they come from foreign countries because they use the +1 USA country code when they dial my number. Some of their messages are funny: The latest of these scam messages said that they could fix me so that I could "last" more than 10 minutes, and that my lady friend would really appreciate it. LOL
Now, there are two reasons for posting this thread. The first is to clue Talk of the Villages denizens into this scam. The second is to ask if anyone knows how to clear my phone so that these text messages stop.
i make them a contact; then block; then you can delete contact
Old 01-22-2023, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy2231 View Post
i make them a contact; then block; then you can delete contact
Blocking numbers is a futile effort. Most of them will just call you back using a different spoofed number. I blocked more than 100 numbers before I realized that I was wasting my time.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Since I have an area code from another state, I know not to answer most spam calls with that area code. There is a problem with certain 8** numbers because some doctors or other businesses we use, have those area code numbers. When I get one like that, I answer with a single "hello" and wait. Many times, if it is a computer initiated call it will disconnect if they don't hear further voice. Some will connect with a recording and I will hang up. If a live person comes on, I either hang up or have a bit of fun. Sometimes I will continue to say "hello, hello, hello" while they are attempting to speak. They will say something like "can you hear me, ,,,hello" and eventually hang up. The other day, a foreign voice attempted to say "F*** YOU!" and then hang up. I enjoyed a good laugh. Since I have a different state area code, I can be bit more inventive. One girl asked me if I would like to sell my home. I told her "yes" and she got all excited and asked when someone could come out and look at it. I told her immediately and she said someone would come out tomorrow. I acted excited and said "GREAT! I'll look forward to it" and hung up. Didn't hear again from them. They may have gone to my old residence and been disappointed. Live callers are so much fun. Sometimes, I have asked the live ones for a phone number where I can call them back. When they ask me why, I tell them that I want to call them back when it is inconvenient for them like they are sitting down to eat a meal with their family or trying to sleep. Problem is that computers have done away with much of the "live calling." But, most of the time I just don't answer calls I don't recognize. Emails are the same. If I receive an offer that that's too good to be true, then I figure it's spam. If it is from a business I frequent, I don't use the email links, I just go to their website and log in to check out their email. Most of the time it's just spam. Everyone eventually slips and gets caught. Spam filters catch most of it, but some stuff gets through. They are very good at fooling folks, especially those that are trusting types.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,902 Times in 914 Posts

they are very good at fooling trusting types. . . if you are a trusting type, of which i am not, which one might be able to tell by reading my posts, then you need to have a trusted friend or relative who is not the trusting type, to check emails and texts before responding. . .

Note very seldom are there texts or emails which truly have to be answered immediately from commercial businesses. . .
they are just tactics to play on your emotions, so if you have any histrionic tendencies, also find a trusted person to review texts and emails, or set your phone up to bock any call not on your contacts lists to slow down your emotional response function.

we just blocked the source of a hack text with 20 phone numbers on it, so now we have to block some of the numbers on the phone list, but you have to be careful to check each number that its not a call back number for a validation code, etc
Old 01-26-2023, 07:53 AM

The first thing I do when I see any email from Amazon, Spectrum, Home Depot, JCPenney, and so on ~ CHECK THE EMAIL FROM WHERE IT COMES FROM. If the email from say, Kohls says <kohls-qhe_rer@lawhssm.com I KNOW that's a scammer. BTW, that's a true email address I got from a scammer. It should be something like "kohls@kohls .com
Old 01-28-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Blocking numbers is a futile effort. Most of them will just call you back using a different spoofed number. I blocked more than 100 numbers before I realized that I was wasting my time.
Yeah tell me about it. I must've blocked at least that many political texts that came into my phone since around 2018... about one every few days, and I'm fortunate to have maybe as much as a week or so in between. They just send from another spoofed one. Seriously those should be illegal, especially after many attempted blocks. Don't know what else I could do other than file a complaint to who knows where.
Closed Thread

Tags
messages, number, ace, scam, professional

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.