unwanted audio narrative

Closed Thread
Old 01-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Default unwanted audio narrative

We are getting an unwanted audio narrative on our Sony TV via Comcast. Things like, "Sarah stared at John. John stared at Sarah." Not the characters talking. Secondary audio channel.After a LONG discussion with a Sony guy in The Philippines, he blamed Comcast. But when we go online there are complaints from around the country over the unwanted audio narrative and Sony. Anyone else having this problem with Sony or Comcast. We are in a rental this winter after selling our home in the historic section last winter. Sure would appreciate a solution.It'sdriving me nuts.We've spent hour online and with the Filipino but can't turn off the narrative audio. It happened after we changed the better on our Sony remote. Help!!!! 3 more months of this will drive me batty.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

If you have Xifinity remote, go to settings look for secondary audio, check other settings also. We added a Vizio surround sounds to our Vizio TV and had multiple problems that got to the point of having Geek Squad come out. Even after they left, there were still some problems, finally found solution was in the settings on the comcast (xifinty) dvr. Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Try this. Using the Xfinity remote, press the down arrow (just below OK). Then, go to the left and turn off CC, SAP, and D)). Good luck.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Gold member

I noticed this for the first time last night on a show we had recorded. We have Xfinity and a Samsung TV. I will definitely take a look at the DVR settings..don't know why they would have changed !
Old 01-24-2019, 08:51 PM

We recently had the same issue. We have the older Comcast system. Talked to Comcast and they said aim and push the letter “D”. That solved the problem
Old 01-24-2019, 09:29 PM
Gold member

What/Where is the letter D on the remote ?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Try this. Using the Xfinity remote, press the down arrow (just below OK). Then, go to the left and turn off CC, SAP, and D)). Good luck.
They updated the software on the box recently. I know this because what is displayed on the screen when you talk to the remote position has changed from appearing on the lower center of the screen to the upper left of the screen.

I have never had this problem until this latest software update. The funny thing is that I stopped this from happening is doing exactly the opposite as to what is suggested above. I turned on SAP and D)) and the random comments are no longer in the show I recorded. They probably broke those with this new release.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
They updated the software on the box recently. I know this because what is displayed on the screen when you talk to the remote position has changed from appearing on the lower center of the screen to the upper left of the screen.

I have never had this problem until this latest software update. The funny thing is that I stopped this from happening is doing exactly the opposite as to what is suggested above. I turned on SAP and D)) and the random comments are no longer in the show I recorded. They probably broke those with this new release.
I think it depends on what Xfinity box you have. I think I have the latest 4K cable box they offer (Arris XG1v4) and mine works as I described. The down arrow gives you access to the CC, SAP, and D)) settings at the bottom of the screen. By the way, Xfinity will not automatically notify you when they offer a new cable box. The latest box allows you to watch the 4K content offered on Netflix and Youtube on a 4K TV. But, a lot of people who have a 4K TV, probably don't have a 4K cable box.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-25-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think it depends on what Xfinity box you have. I think I have the latest 4K cable box they offer (Arris XG1v4) and mine works as I described. .
I agree, it is probably dependent on the box you have and whatever software load is on that box. I would suggest to the OP to go and turn on SAP and D)) and see if that fixes their problem. Be aware, that if it does, this is a bug in the latest software that they will eventually fix and then you will probably start getting the extra verbiage again. At that point, you would have to turn them back off. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2019, 02:54 PM

I called XFinity and they told me to put the letter D. It's in the lower third of the remote in a row of A B C D. It worked. Hitting the D key restores Defaults I am told.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:13 PM

Just above my numbers I have a b c d. Maybe your Comcast control is different
Old 01-26-2019, 05:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mountaineer View Post
We are getting an unwanted audio narrative on our Sony TV via Comcast. Things like, "Sarah stared at John. John stared at Sarah." Not the characters talking.
I have Dish and had the same issue. It turned out that "Audio Description" under "Accessibility" options got turned on accidentally. I'm sure Comcast has something similar.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 01-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob&Gail View Post
Just above my numbers I have a b c d. Maybe your Comcast control is different
If your remote has the ABCD buttons in a horizontal line just above the numbers, then you do not have the latest Comcast box and remote. If you rent a cable box from Comcast, you should periodically check to see what is the latest available cable box and remote. You can exchange the box for an updated version for free or for a small self install fee. A lot of people now have 4K TVs, but they do not realize that Comcast has a cable box capable of delivering 4K programming, including using their Netflix and Youtube apps. Some people don't even have voice control on their remote because they have an old box, even though they are paying for the service.
Closed Thread

Tags
sony, audio, narrative, comcast, unwanted

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.