Unwanted mail

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

31 messages (so far) about a piece of JUNK MAIL.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,504 Posts
Default Another take.

[QUOTE=caseycasebeer;1769552]Respectfully, I must take a different view.

I am not a JW, and not interested in joining their church, but have found them to be friendly and easy to talk-to. I have my own belief system, but (honestly) I learn more about the Bible with each JW visitation. The two that come by my home are welcomed during their 2-3 visits per year. Yea, I know they’re not “supposed” solicit but I’d rather talk to them than the stream of folks who want to inspect my roof, or whatever.

Believe it or not, I have actually READ “The Watchtower” they leave with me. I find it fairly elementary, but easily understood. I am not interested in joining their Faith, but Lord knows (pun intended), in the present World I welcome most folks who honestly hold their ‘belief.

Given the anger that TOTV sometimes elicits, I’m almost fearful of what my comments may bring ... but what the Hell, we can all have our own perspectives.

P.S. I received a brief handwritten letter from my JW-guy (Dale...) on Friday.
He simply expressed concern for all of us in these difficult pandemic times, and hoped I was doing ‘ok. His letter wasn’t ‘preachy, political, or asking for a donation. All-in-all I welcome the next time we have a chance to chat.[/QUOTE

Well written expression of another's point of view based on their personal experience.
I also had a friend who had different points of view regarding politics and religion than my own. But we got along great and truly enjoyed each other's company. We found that political and religious differences didn't really divide us. I miss him.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
I have an idea regarding unwanted solicitations for credit card applications or any junk mail with self addressed postage paid envelopes included. Take a piece of the JUNK MAIL literature WITHOUT your name or any of your personal info on it and putting it into the return envelope and mail it back to them. If hundreds of thousands of these postage paid empty envelopes get sent back to them they will be overwhelmed with our JUNK MAIL that they might just adapt new techniques! If nothing else they might need to hire more people to open these empty envelopes!
I used to do this but included a page with my name & address. In fact I'd stuff extra pages in the rerun envelope to make it weigh more. Didn't work - still got the junk from the same people.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:47 AM
Sage

I said to Bill, the postman at our former address, that wouldn't it be good if he didn't have so much junk mail to deliver. He replied, "No, junk mail is what keeps us working."
Old 05-23-2020, 07:55 AM

I get lots of mail for dead people.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:59 AM
Default What bothered you more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
So what bothered you more, that it was an unsolicited invitation (junk mail), or that it was a religious group?
Old 05-23-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I wish there was a way of the postman/woman identifying what I consider junk mail. I’m actually paying for my mailbox for this stuff and then they even put me to work throwing it out. And because my name and address are on it, I prefer to shred it. I think we should be able to do something to stop this type of annoying behavior.
Actually, there is something you can do:USPS.com FAQs
It is NOT up to your carrier, however, to determine whether or not you would like to receive it. And honestly, you pay the same amount for the mailbox regardless of the volume of mail, junk or treasure. About a .1 of 10 on my annoyance scale...
Old 05-23-2020, 08:01 AM

Advertisers get reduced rates for bulk mail while we get rate increases for first class mail. Final analysis - we subsidize that junk mail.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I feel the same when car dealers send me that key
What gets me is mail addressed to my decease husband who NEVER lived here. If there is a stamped envelope included with the junk, I STUFF all of it back into the envelope (and more if it fits) and send it back to them with a note telling them this. AAA insurance is the worst offender.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajulian View Post
Advertisers get reduced rates for bulk mail while we get rate increases for first class mail. Final analysis - we subsidize that junk mail.
sad but true
Old 05-23-2020, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,046 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
What gets me is mail addressed to my decease husband who NEVER lived here. If there is a stamped envelope included with the junk, I STUFF all of it back into the envelope (and more if it fits) and send it back to them with a note telling them this. AAA insurance is the worst offender.
Recently moved here from Va. Our son moved out 25 years ago to go to college and years later got junk mail in Va.

Remarkably he is starting to get junk mail here.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:35 AM

I am amazed that we continue to get the previous owners mail. I tried writing on envelope to return to sender, addressee no longer lives at this address. It just gets returned to my mailbox!!!! I am not going to take in other peoples mail to my home to dispose of. I get plenty of my own. 😉. I feel bad that they are not getting what might be important notices but my husband keeps reminding me that we have more important things to worry about. Says throw in trash and out of my mind.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I know the OP. She is a kind and loving person.

I personally have never had any problems with Jehovah Witnesses when they knock on our door.

I think that one of the tenets of their faith is to "spread the gospel",( the teachings of Christ) and that is what they try to do in the face of scorn and rejection.

I believe that it only takes a minute to thank them, take their packet of information and be kind. They don't ask for money, they are doing what they think is a good thing.

Now they are sending personal notes. I think they are just trying to do what THEY think is the right thing to do.

Worry about people who want to put a new roof on your house.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
Just close the curtains, turn off the lights and TV and wait for the letter to go away.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:57 AM

Ya all the junk mail since we moved here is unreal. I have tried getting it all cut even to point of calling and writing these places that send it and get my address removed. It still comes in buckets.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, folks, unwanted, prey, elderly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.