Unwanted mail

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2020, 06:24 PM

Every time I detect they are at my front door, the first thing I did is to take my shirt off, and then opened the door. They freaked out and left!
Old 05-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
In UK our mail is still delivered to the door.
Our local postie calls Tuesdays 'wages day' as that is when most of the flyers come through the door.
He says it's the day the Postal Service makes enough money to pay his wages.
Rest of the regular mail barely covers costs.
In most places mail delivered to your door or to mailbox at the street. Does allow me to get some exercise walking to the mail boxes
Old 05-24-2020, 07:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christephen View Post
There is a way to stop most junk mail from hitting your mailbox.
1) On the supermarket flyers, there is an 800# . Simply call it, give them your address and tell them to take you off their mailing list.
2) Much like the “Do not call list” there is a “do not mail” list as well
Simply either write to your post master, and request only first and second class mail delivery. This will take approximately 190 days to process.
Sometimes, a bit longer, depending on how much volume is received.
A better, and quicker way, is to write or call each perceived junk mailing you receive, and ask to be removed from their mailing list. The success rate for this is quick, usually one cycle.(month)
Do not ask or harass your letter carrier to throw away your” junk mail”. It is your mail, it has your address on it, take responsibility for your own.
A letter carrier can be fired for this action.
On and end note, did you know that every letter carrier’s in the country salary is paid by the proceeds that red plum, ( supermarkets flyers) pays the post office to deliver?
So think about that
Would think the do not mail list has to work better than do not call which is totally useless.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
Would think the do not mail list has to work better than do not call which is totally useless.
I have filled out the "do not mail" forms online for my deceased mother and father every few months for almost 3 years and the mail never stops. I get more mail from them then I get for myself. I made the mistake of changing their address to mine rather than forwarding the mail for a year. It only works for mailers who belong to a certain group of commercial bulk mailers (forgot which one it was) and like the DNC list it's pretty meaningless.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I have filled out the "do not mail" forms online for my deceased mother and father every few months for almost 3 years and the mail never stops. I get more mail from them then I get for myself. I made the mistake of changing their address to mine rather than forwarding the mail for a year. It only works for mailers who belong to a certain group of commercial bulk mailers (forgot which one it was) and like the DNC list it's pretty meaningless.
Not at all surprised
Old 05-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
First Amendment freedom of speech is a constraint upon government, not an inducement to individuals. The Fourth Amendment guarantees freedom in our property and persons. Some of these political and religious proselytizers ought to learn to respect our Fourth Amendment freedom FROM their First Amendment freedom of speech.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:07 AM
Sage

When Jehovah witness visit your home - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjearly View Post
Two of them knocked on our door. Being a nice guy I invited them in offered them coffee or a soft drink and then invited them to tell me what they had to say. They looked at each other and then the taller of the two said, " I don't know, we have never gotten this far."
Old 05-26-2020, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
Please don’t throw it in the trash at postal centers, take it home and throw it in you’re trash! After all it you’re junk mail.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Please don’t throw it in the trash at postal centers, take it home and throw it in you’re trash! After all it you’re junk mail.
But I want to share my good fortune
Old 05-27-2020, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Many charities fail to inform where money goes - Cars for… an Orthodox Jewish Cause ... by failing to inform them that donated cars will benefit a Jewish organization and kids of Jewish faith.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
That is why one has a circular file

We moved here a few months ago from Virginia and our junk mail didnt get forwarded, thankfully but now we have a whole new set to toss.
The Villages is the only place we've lived where our mail box is filled daily with junk from car dealers, hearing aid companies, cremation and funeral businesses, health scans, nursing and memory care places, financial planners, lawn care and countless others. It's like they're trying to plan the remainder of our lives!
Old 05-27-2020, 10:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Many charities fail to inform where money goes - Cars for… an Orthodox Jewish Cause ... by failing to inform them that donated cars will benefit a Jewish organization and kids of Jewish faith.
I know there are many charities that give out little information on percentage of money raised that go to benefit the cause there are raising money on or exactly where the money is going.

However just wondering why you are pointing out just a Jewish cause which if they are upfront about saying where the money go is doing nothing wrong.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I know there are many charities that give out little information on percentage of money raised that go to benefit the cause there are raising money on or exactly where the money is going.

However just wondering why you are pointing out just a Jewish cause which if they are upfront about saying where the money go is doing nothing wrong.

That's obviously a rhetorical question, as most decent folks will figure out...it speaks for itself.

As for charities, I use this before I give:

Charity Navigator (poke here)

Old 05-27-2020, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Well, no it is not MY junk mail. Just because someone gets a hold of my name and address without my permission and uses it - does not make it mine. With that logic, I could just write my name on Oprah’s bank account add my address and it would be mine.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Well, no it is not MY junk mail. Just because someone gets a hold of my name and address without my permission and uses it - does not make it mine. With that logic, I could just write my name on Oprah’s bank account add my address and it would be mine.
Good point
Closed Thread

Tags
door, folks, unwanted, prey, elderly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.