Unwanted mail

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2020, 05:47 PM
Gold member
Default Unwanted mail

We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,303 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
I feel the same when car dealers send me that key

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-22-2020, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,373 Times in 3,051 Posts

Jehovah Witnesses don't "prey" on elderly folks. They're not trying to get anyone to give them money, property, food, clothing, homes, cars, or anything else. Even if you end up joining their religion, you're not required to take a vow of poverty and give up all your worldly goods or any other such thing.

It can annoy you - you have the right to be annoyed. But if they put a stamp on it and sent it first-class, they have the right to send it to you.

Just stick it in the trash and don't worry yourself another moment about it. They won't take it personally if you say no.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

if you consider something junk mail...treat it that way and don't make a darn issue out of it

non of us can control the junk mail that comes our way...everyone is selling their contact lists to others for $$$$

I donate a lot to The Salvation Army...they send me emails from 3 different Salvation Army locations twice a month asking for help

I don't get twisted around my underwear about it...I just throw those mailers out and contribute when I want to (because I truly believe in that charity)
Old 05-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Must not be roofers!
Old 05-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

That is why one has a circular file

We moved here a few months ago from Virginia and our junk mail didnt get forwarded, thankfully but now we have a whole new set to toss.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I feel the same when car dealers send me that key
And who told them that size matters? Mine is bigger than yours - Some of those flyers are HUGH!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
So, you are not irritated by other "unwanted" mail? Just from the JW's. guess that tells us something.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
So, you are not irritated by other "unwanted" mail? Just from the JW's. guess that tells us something.
Good point
Old 05-22-2020, 09:50 PM

Just a reminder. At my mail box unit there is a sign asking to take your junk mail home and to please not deposit it in the community trash cans.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

I wish there was a way of the postman/woman identifying what I consider junk mail. I’m actually paying for my mailbox for this stuff and then they even put me to work throwing it out. And because my name and address are on it, I prefer to shred it. I think we should be able to do something to stop this type of annoying behavior.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Too bad they didn't send it when the TP shortage was at its worst
Old 05-23-2020, 04:48 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,552 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Its called “junk” mail. Throw it away and go on with your life. Geeez
Old 05-23-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I wish there was a way of the postman/woman identifying what I consider junk mail. I’m actually paying for my mailbox for this stuff and then they even put me to work throwing it out. And because my name and address are on it, I prefer to shred it. I think we should be able to do something to stop this type of annoying behavior.
That's a disaster waiting to happen. If postal employees have to take the time to identify "junk" mail, sooner or later (sooner) someone's not going to get a check in the mail or some such, and it's lawsuit time. Plus, what's the postal worker supposed to do then, schlep the "junk" mail back to the post office? They're delivery people. I don't want them making value judgments about my mail.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:30 AM
Default I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyitsrick View Post
That's a disaster waiting to happen. If postal employees have to take the time to identify "junk" mail, sooner or later (sooner) someone's not going to get a check in the mail or some such, and it's lawsuit time. Plus, what's the postal worker supposed to do then, schlep the "junk" mail back to the post office? They're delivery people. I don't want them making value judgments about my mail.
Good point! In addition to that, there are some pretty lonely people in this community who appreciate getting somethi ng in the mail, even if it ends up in the circular container.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, folks, unwanted, prey, elderly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.