Unwanted mail

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2020, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy1516 View Post
Your welcome to take my junk mail home with you. My trash is heavy enough to put out without all the crap I find in my box. There should be a bin for recyclable junk mail at postal station.
Assumes people would know what goes in what bin....I assume recycling will disappear here soon and everything will end up being burned to generate power.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhrph View Post
Our mail boxes are being filled with "junk mail". This is stuff we don't subscribe to, andIf they get your address after you donate, you will be hounded for money till you die!
Or even longer
Old 05-23-2020, 12:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Today junk mail is done by specialized companies that use computerized mailing lists and that is millions and millions of names and addresses. My Mom died in 2003 (lived in PA) and a couple times a year she gets invited to Ocala for a free dinner to hear about investment opportunities. I got my divorce in 1988 and my ex wife (lives in PA) we receive offers for stuff in Disney in her name. Now that she turned 65 we get all the Medicare mailings for her. I called and asked if she wanted them forwarded, she declined . My last name has an Asian ring to it and up until two years ago we received offers addressed to my ex wife for Asian cosmetics.
Wonder if you can get free dinners offered to your mom?
Old 05-23-2020, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, I agree they wouldn’t know what to send back... I just hate paying for a service that puts me to work... I feel same way about garbage phone calls. It would be nice if we could have a “do not deliver” list.
For garbage phone call like to see how long I can keep the crooks on the phone. Make them think they have a live one and keep talking or asking them to hold on.

Hoping in long run will lead to less of these calls
Old 05-23-2020, 01:00 PM

If you get an email with "Knock, Knock" as the subject, don't open it. It's probably from a Jehovah's Witness working from home.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:46 PM

I save those keys, put them on a keychain and give them to my young granddaughters. They love them
Old 05-23-2020, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Zaikov View Post
Wonder if you can get free dinners offered to your mom?
Oh we thought about it, it's just sitting through the presentation that keeps us from going

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-23-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
Don't you have a trash can?
Old 05-23-2020, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Oh we thought about it, it's just sitting through the presentation that keeps us from going
In a very good restaurant sometimes it is worth it
Old 05-23-2020, 06:10 PM
Default Ummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
We have recieved a handwritten letter from the Jehovah Witnesses. Stating these are rough times, etc..... I would like to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves and not to prey on elderly folks. Yes I know first ammendment rights, but just because you can't go door to door, leave folks alone.
Yeah, fortunately for us, they are not allowed to go knocking on doors. I realize it upsets some people, but long ago I personally stopped being upset. I have always invited them into my home (they're not usually murderers and/or rapists), and we've spent plenty of time talking about their faith and mine (Catholic). I feel VERY comfortable speaking with them (or others). But I always reject accepting Watchtower etc. because they just won't switch me onto their ideas. Not sure, but I believe being strong in one's own faith would lead one to handle this without emotional involvement.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

It is part of their faith to witness. I had JW students too and one very beautiful young lady as my aide. I respect their faith but they need to respect mine too. When two JW ladies came to the door (up north) and they did not want to leave I said to them; “Think of the women! Have mercy on the women.” JW’s seem somewhat more partial to males, in my opinion. They ran away from my door. I guess they were only ready to talk at me not discuss with me.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:56 PM

That junk mail is paying for postage. Keeps our postal workers employed.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:28 AM
Red face

There is a way to stop most junk mail from hitting your mailbox.
1) On the supermarket flyers, there is an 800# . Simply call it, give them your address and tell them to take you off their mailing list.
2) Much like the “Do not call list” there is a “do not mail” list as well
Simply either write to your post master, and request only first and second class mail delivery. This will take approximately 190 days to process.
Sometimes, a bit longer, depending on how much volume is received.
A better, and quicker way, is to write or call each perceived junk mailing you receive, and ask to be removed from their mailing list. The success rate for this is quick, usually one cycle.(month)
Do not ask or harass your letter carrier to throw away your” junk mail”. It is your mail, it has your address on it, take responsibility for your own.
A letter carrier can be fired for this action.
On and end note, did you know that every letter carrier’s in the country salary is paid by the proceeds that red plum, ( supermarkets flyers) pays the post office to deliver?
So think about that
Old 05-24-2020, 03:45 AM

Did you know that the post office, although federal, does not receive any taxpayer money at all?
It is self sufficient, running itself through proceeds of stamp sales, and advertising etc
Did you know, that in 2006, congress mandated the postal service to prefund future retirees benefits up to 75 years to the tune of 6 billion , yes billion dollars, a year!
Show me any other business that can take 6 billion dollars in cash each year off the top of their sales, and show a decent profit.
It’s ok, I’ll wait for your answer.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

In UK our mail is still delivered to the door.
Our local postie calls Tuesdays 'wages day' as that is when most of the flyers come through the door.
He says it's the day the Postal Service makes enough money to pay his wages.
Rest of the regular mail barely covers costs.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, folks, unwanted, prey, elderly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.