Unwelcome experience

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2019, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Wouldn’t it be nice if everything was free and available for everyone....
Old 10-29-2019, 03:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garagesalegroupe View Post
Really? We were renting from the villages. They gave us ID badges to use during our stay. Group was advertised in the Villages Sun newspaper living section. This continues the narrative of rudeness...

I see nothing rude about that reply.

I've been here full time since 2004..... never heard of "stay and play" or "ID badges". Also the Villages doesn't rent..... they have a LIFESTYLE PREVIEW PLAN 4-7 nights.

I think if I were you and thought there was a narrative of rudeness..... I would be looking to stay and play someplace else!
Old 10-29-2019, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Wouldn’t it be nice if everything was free and available for everyone....
No!
Old 10-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Really? We were renting from the villages. They gave us ID badges to use during our stay. Group was advertised in the Villages Sun newspaper living section. This continues the narrative of rudeness...
Why didn't you include this information in your original post......would have eliminated a lot of speculation.
And rudeness....
Old 10-29-2019, 04:09 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I see nothing rude about that reply.

I've been here full time since 2004..... never heard of "stay and play" or "ID badges". Also the Villages doesn't rent..... they have a LIFESTYLE PREVIEW PLAN 4-7 nights.

I think if I were you and thought there was a narrative of rudeness..... I would be looking to stay and play someplace else!

Old 10-29-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Just wondering too, I have not heard of “Stay and Play” either. You may have rented from someone who did not tell you that you need a Village ID to “play”. Or maybe you weren’t renting in The Villages at all but perhaps somewhere near?

If you were on a Lifestyle visit, I’d call the sales office and ask for an explanation.
In all fairness to the OP, The Villages web site calls their lifestyle preview plan "Stay and Play" which is what the OP originally said they were here for. So, they would have rented a house from The Villages and had visitor badges to use the rec centers and other facilities.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
We were given temp ID badges to use during our stay. Group advertised in living section of the Villages Daily Sun newspaper. I guess I misinterpreted that all groups/events listed were open to all.
Sadly, this is the fault of the rec department. They allow the private clubs but do nothing to let newcomers know that not every club is open to all. It would be nice if the newspaper would put asterisks next to closed clubs, but they probably have no idea which clubs are open. My rule thumb is if the club name has a village or neighborhood attached to it, I assume it is closed and not bother.

Again, the best thing to do is call the contact person. You’ll not only find out more details, such as cost, you’ll give them a head’s up so they know newbies are coming and can greet you appropriately. I call just to make sure a club isn’t full.

In the meantime, I hope you and your friend are having a good time and that a few bad incidents haven’t spoiled your stay.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-29-2019, 04:14 PM
Platinum member

Based on the comments posted so far, I doubt that the original poster is signing any sales contract soon. Maybe the poster didn’t used the correct “terms” to suit the commenters, but that is no basis for the rude comments. If an activity is listed in the paper it should be open to all comers. I have no problem with charging a guest fee if the group required a membership.

Last edited by Mleeja; 10-29-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Copied from thevillages.com web site:

"Lifestyle Preview Plan - Stay and Play"
Old 10-29-2019, 04:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

So that’s where they got it from. Sometimes elaborating on an issue helps others to understand.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:28 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, there is so much to do down here and so many activities that all are welcome to enjoy that there aren't enough hours in the day to do them all. Bunco for example is very popular and they limit the number of participants depending on which rec. center is hosting it. Lots to do, come on back down and relax. In two weeks the largest activity center in The Villages opens, Everglades Recreation Center it will add even more activities. I do think they will need a 24/7 EMT at the new soccer field though, Dr. Cook better start a second shift.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I remember in 2011 when I first moved here, some people invited us to a meeting of the Doo Whop Club at Colony Cottage Rec Ctr. We went, sat at a table of about 12 people, we drank our BYOB and they had some acts perform and discussed upcoming events and parties.

When the meeting ended, they said the membership is limited to 250, so if this was your first visit, you can't come back. If you would like to join write your name and phone on the list at the back and we'll call you when we have an opening. It was a nice way of knowing what goes on and if we were interested. They called us about 12 months later.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

My wife was "cross-examined" by the card scanning lady at the front door at Sea Breeze a year or so ago. She forgot her card/pocketbook, I had mine, one would think she was trying to sneak into an NSC meeting. It was really weird. Must have asked her 10 questions to PROVE she lived here. It was quite annoying yet very funny. I even provided a photo on my phone of us at our kids wedding. Eventually she very grudgingly relented and let her in to our golf cart club meeting (high security secret club ). Sometimes doing ones job goes to an extreme. Maybe that was position of the person who the OP ran into at he rec center in question and not the club meeting person.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:51 PM

There are many clubs/groups that are closed because of popularity. I am on a waiting list that has 250 names. I was invited to join another that also has a waiting list. Both are listed in the Daily Sun page that has rec center activities. Sorry that you were upset but even a full time resident who is also a homeowner will get turned away from closed groups.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Based on the comments posted so far, I doubt that the original poster is signing any sales contract soon. Maybe the poster didn’t used the correct “terms” to suit the commenters, but that is no basis for the rude comments. If an activity is listed in the paper it should be open to all comers. I have not problem with charging a guest fee if the group required a membership.
Closed Thread

Tags
activity, i’m, friends, newspaper, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.