Unwelcome experience

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2019, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,687 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
There are many clubs/groups that are closed because of popularity. I am on a waiting list that has 250 names. I was invited to join another that also has a waiting list. Both are listed in the Daily Sun page that has rec center activities. Sorry that you were upset but even a full time resident who is also a homeowner will get turned away from closed groups.
It seems to me that, if you have a waiting list of 250 people, you have more than enough people to just start another club.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Lady “cross-examining” at rec center: probably due to all those outsiders trying to sneak in, without paying the amenity dues.

Last edited by Velvet; 10-29-2019 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I must go with the organized group and say they have the right to say who can and not attend. If the article in the paper did not specifically say OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC, I would understand that to be a member only event.
Yes, groups or clubs can limit membership, such as Italians, Irish etc. Why would someone want to go to a function for people from Minnesota if they are not from Minnesota?
Old 10-29-2019, 05:09 PM
Sage

It's all in interpretation perhaps. New folks probably need to be aware we're entering "high season" with snowbirds and renters who also take part in the activities here. Clubs/meetings fill up fast and there's sometimes a system in place to snag a spot. As mentioned "some" of these clubs are closed to members only. For instance if a room is reserved for a craft group it may be advertised of it's meeting...but that said, the room only holds so many and probably has a membership list. So not being inhospitable...but practical and safe for the fire marshall's rules. I know of one group that became so popular several others were started at other centers by interested parties. IF visiting...people wouldn't know any of this but would assume so I'm guessing that's what the OP experienced and were disappointed.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

And what if you need a certain type of facility, like a swimming pool (synchronized swimming) for a certain club?
Old 10-29-2019, 05:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Last edited by bagboy; 10-29-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garagesalegroupe View Post
My friends and I made use of a “stay and play” rental thus past week. We looked up an activity in the daily section the newspaper and found an evening activity. Upon arrival to the rec center at designated time, was pointed to person in charge of activity. This person then preceded to grill us of where we will lived and then were told this activity was only for said person’s friends, and folks that live in that particular village. We left feeling very unwelcome. I was under the impression a villager could make use of any rec center or activity. I’m thinking if it was only for certain ppl, maybe it shouldn’t be listed in the newspaper? Maybe I’m wrong....
Pretty common. There are a lot of clubs etc that are listed in the recreation news that are closed to new participants or specific to a certain area.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It seems to me that, if you have a waiting list of 250 people, you have more than enough people to just start another club.
Perhaps. But you would need volunteer organizers to make it happen. I have heard it many times - Why don't they have more ____ classes. Many wish to attend, few are willing to lead.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Lady “cross-examining” at rec center: probably due to all those outsiders trying to sneak in, without paying the amenity dues.
LOL, except it was obviously my wife and we both were wearing our official "Atomic Golf Cart" club shirts with our name on it. She must have thought I really went through a lot to try and sneak her into that meeting. Sometimes these folks need to chill out and use just a little bit of common sense. The following month there was NO ONE at the door scanning cards to keep out the riff-raff. Maybe someone tied her up and put her in a stall in the ladies room until all the meetings started.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I see nothing rude about that reply.

I've been here full time since 2004..... never heard of "stay and play" or "ID badges". Also the Villages doesn't rent..... they have a LIFESTYLE PREVIEW PLAN 4-7 nights.

I think if I were you and thought there was a narrative of rudeness..... I would be looking to stay and play someplace else!

You are way out of line in your response to the OP. And for being here since 2004, longevity does not give you authority to talk down to people asking what would a legitimate question to a person new to how things work around here.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

This thread should be with the 'Do you believe the News' thread.

Lack of information and facts leads to confusion, speculation and bad reporting!!
Old 10-30-2019, 07:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garagesalegroupe View Post
Really? We were renting from the villages. They gave us ID badges to use during our stay. Group was advertised in the Villages Sun newspaper living section. This continues the narrative of rudeness...
The Villages has a group that acts as an agent for many residents who rent their homes. So, if you truely rented, it was from the home owner and not The Villages. The owner surrenders resident ID's so that the renters can take their place with "Renter ID's.

...or, you were on a lifestyle visit. In that case you are staying in a property owned by The Villages. You would have been given special ID's that only those on a lifestyle visit are given.

People are simply wondering what you meant in your post.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Sounds like you did not get the kool-aid - next time ask for it
Old 10-30-2019, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Sounds like you did not get the kool-aid - next time ask for it
Actually, no one drinks that stuff. Most of the mind altering qualities that make people rave how good this place is comes from the ice.

Many who get a hold of some "bad ice" are those who don't live here, have something to gain by promoting another place, or are jealous of our freedom to enjoy all these wonderful things....due to the fact they aren't old enough or cannot afford to live here.

And to the OP. There are sadly some rude people in The Villages. It really depends on our attitude as to how to deal with them. Most people would say...Sheesh, who pooped in her cornflakes and go on to investigate further...which I think is what you did. Let's not fight over something that is trivial. Many, many, many, many, people love it here and although not perfect, it comes pretty close to...………..lower paradise.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I have figured out some of the jargon. The Villages uses the terms 'Livestyle Preview Plan', you'll sometimes see us refer to it as LSV (Lifestyle Visit) when a poster is asking questions. Here's a link to all the details and the info on signing up for a visit.

The Villages Lifestyle Preview Plan

Valencia, which has several communities in Florida, I believe Valencia Bay in Tampa is the closest, and uses the actual words 'Stay and Play'. You might have bookmarked their website and The Villages website and mixed up the wording, which is why many posters weren't sure of what you have. Also possibly a Villages renter saw that same ad and used it as a ploy in it's listing. It's obvious if a Villages renter used that term, it was strictly a marketing gimmick since you're not at Valencia. There is a lot of competition for renters in The Villages, on one website alone there are over 1650 available rental properties.

Stay & Play | Florida Real Estate - GL Homes

The Villages Florida

Popular Villages Rental Website

Villages 4 Rent - 1650 Rentals
Closed Thread

Tags
activity, i’m, friends, newspaper, person

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.