Update on Morse Felony Charges in Montana Poaching Case

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2011, 06:50 PM

I would like a receipt for my share of the Lawyers fee, so I can get a tax deduction of about $300. If you live north of 466, the $6,000,000 fee comes out to about $300 for every homeowner.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Gold member
Default The class-action settlement again

Quote:
Originally Posted by same View Post
I would like a receipt for my share of the Lawyers fee, so I can get a tax deduction of about $300. If you live north of 466, the $6,000,000 fee comes out to about $300 for every homeowner.
Bad news: I'm afraid that your math is no better than your than your understanding of the class-action settlement. Take a look at page 3 of the settlement agreement: http://www.thevillagesfl.us/classactionsettlement.htm

Plaintiff's attorneys' fees were paid by the Developer, in addition to the $40 million settlement. They cost you nothing. Thus, they did not cost every homeowner north of 466 $300. They cost each such homeowner: $0.

You, I, and everybody else in The Villages was being "had" by the Developer. While you, I, and everybody else did nothing to remedy the situation, the plaintiffs pushed the matter and got us $40 million. Most people in our situation would thank them. I have.

When I said your share of settlement was $1,000, I was postulating that all approximately 40,000 homes in The Villages benefited equally from the settlement. Since you want to assume that only homes north of 466 benefited (technically they were the only members of the class, but in reality we all use the facilities north of 466) and if you live north of 466, then you should write the Developer a refund check for $2,000, instead of only $1,000. As I said in my earlier post, if you don't want the class-action money from the Developer, give your share back to the Developer. (The family is apparently running up some big legal bills in Montana and could use your help.) Otherwise, stop carping about the plaintiffs and the POA.

Further bad news for you: Even with a receipt for $300, you don't get a tax deduction for the class-action plaintiffs' attorney fees that were paid by the Developer and not by you.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Veteran member

Avocado,

It sounds as you are very unhappy here as well as being a naysayer. You are probably a very nice person but you are coming across as a real naysayer. You might have a happier disposition and outlook on life if you enjoyed the many activities of The Villages instead of posting such negative postings.

By the way, this thread started off with a mis-statement. It was talking of Gary Morse felony investigation in Montana. It is not Gary in trouble but his son and family.

Now, Avocado, just enjoy life and the wonderful place you have here in The Villages.

I have seen enough on this thread so I am not going to read anymore postings on it. Any response to me, Avocado, would be a waste of electrons on your part. Bye-bye.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Default SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by same View Post
The last time the POA kept an eye on something, they hired an attorney for over 6 Million Dollars for 12 months work and paid themselves $50,000 each.
But, the new cart paths are great and no cost to Villagers!!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Avocado,

It sounds as you are very unhappy here as well as being a naysayer. You are probably a very nice person but you are coming across as a real naysayer.
Just for the record Avagado, I don't get that impression of you. You seem to be very knowledgeable about the POA's involvement in that lawsuit and was explaining how it benefitted all of us by using mathematical examples.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 PM

Tbugs,
What you talking about??? I think Avocado sounds like one smart person!!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Russ, perhaps a reading comprehension class would help; read my note, I never said the POA found this story.
Then why did you mention the POA in your response about this topic? Were they the first ones to publish it or something? Why else would you say "Back to the topic, I'm glad we have the POA to..." These are your words.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Russ, perhaps a reading comprehension class would help; read my note, I never said the POA found this story.
Duffysmom, this was your excerpted from your post...

"Back to the topic, I'm happy that we have the POA to keep an eye on the developer, he needs to be watched."

Since the title of the topic is Morse (albeit the wrong one named) and felony allegations, I think Russ might be forgiven in misunderstanding what you wrote.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Sage

Sorry Kate - must have posted the same time.

I'm not asking for forgiveness though. I really thought she meant the POA had some hand in the story. Why mention them otherwise. It was a question on my part as to what role the POA played in this. Just curious.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
Avocado,

It sounds as you are very unhappy here as well as being a naysayer. You are probably a very nice person but you are coming across as a real naysayer. You might have a happier disposition and outlook on life if you enjoyed the many activities of The Villages instead of posting such negative postings.

By the way, this thread started off with a mis-statement. It was talking of Gary Morse felony investigation in Montana. It is not Gary in trouble but his son and family.

Now, Avocado, just enjoy life and the wonderful place you have here in The Villages.

I have seen enough on this thread so I am not going to read anymore postings on it. Any response to me, Avocado, would be a waste of electrons on your part. Bye-bye.
Tbugs - just because someone is unhappy with the Morse family does not mean he is unhappy as a Villager. And to mistype his name is just plain rude. His "name" is "Advogato".. He and I don't always agree - but have a civil discourse.

I have frequently stated that the Morse's built a better mousetrap and that innovation in a free market deserves the rewards it generates. I just have an issue with greed... not my house, not the beauty of TV and not with most of the maintenance...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Sorry Kate - must have posted the same time.

I'm not asking for forgiveness though. I really thought she meant the POA had some hand in the story. Why mention them otherwise. It was a question on my part as to what role the POA played in this. Just curious.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Russ, I think Duffysmom meant that she's grateful that POA watches over some of the things being done by the developer. The first I heard of the poaching was by the Orlando Sentinel. I haven't seen a thing about the poaching in the POA paper. I doubt I will -- it is not the type of thing that concerns the POA. It may concern some of us because of the moral, ethical issues, but it really doesn't affect TV residents and the POA is very much into what affects the residents.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Default Advogado likely knows what he's talking about

I bet Advogado knows what he's talking about. Advogado means "lawyer" in Portuguese. If his username equates to his profession, he's well educated. Indeed, he strikes me as learned as evidenced by the frequent cogency of his arguments, regardless whether one agrees with him or not. Critical thinking raises the quality of the debate. I appreciate Advogado's comments from that standpoint alone and thank him for offering his thoughts to the controversy.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdarcy View Post
I bet Advogado knows what he's talking about. Advogado means "lawyer" in Portuguese. If his username equates to his profession, he's well educated. Indeed, he strikes me as learned as evidenced by the frequent cogency of his arguments, regardless whether one agrees with him or not. Critical thinking raises the quality of the debate. I appreciate Advogado's comments from that standpoint alone and thank him for offering his thoughts to the controversy.
I think the implication was that use of the word Avocado was an intentional slap not a misprint. That was the rude part.

I'm quite sure Advogado got it.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
Tbugs - just because someone is unhappy with the Morse family does not mean he is unhappy as a Villager. And to mistype his name is just plain rude. His "name" is "Advogato".. He and I don't always agree - but have a civil discourse.

I have frequently stated that the Morse's built a better mousetrap and that innovation in a free market deserves the rewards it generates. I just have an issue with greed... not my house, not the beauty of TV and not with most of the maintenance...
Well said katezbox. It comes across as petty name calling just because someone doesn't agree with one's opinions.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.